Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long is the Gus Bus in Town For?

How Long is the Gus Bus in Town For?

• Until the end of this season only

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • This season and next regardless of managerial vacancies

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • This season and as much of next until Real Zaragoza/Spurs/Leeds sack their manager

Votes: 39 31.7%
  • Until the Premiership and beyond

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
He certainly won't head off to the likes of Doncaster or Scunthorpe, and I don't think Pompey, Derby or Hull are big enough or have enough potential for him.

At risk of repeating myself, the one team I am scared of him leaving for is Middlesbrough, currently 20th, Strachan surely on his last legs, big club, big stadium, lots of fans and lots of money.

reports on Sat or Sunday that they were going after Mowbray, ex player and all that, once that get rid of Strachen. Could they afford the compo for Gus anyway 4 year contract.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The Gus Bus will in town for the long term. I just hope that Tarrico remains happy as the co-driver.

This is a club that is going places - and Poyet has to prove himself before a big club might come calling. He will want to do it here - because it will be possible to do it here.

dje shoreham

Nov 2, 2009
The Gus Bus will in town for the long term. I just hope that Tarrico remains happy as the co-driver.

This is a club that is going places - and Poyet has to prove himself before a big club might come calling. He will want to do it here - because it will be possible to do it here.

yes agree. Gus would probably be concerned if he was not moving forward - championship football ( hopefully) and playing in a top stadium cant be classed as standing still. If he moves i think it will be for a big job ( say Spurs) but cant see him being offered this yet.

However, if and when he does move there will probably be a lot of good managers who would be interested in coming in - no Withdean factor.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
WIGAN! Tell me you're joking. That'd be a step down for the Eastbourne Boro boss, let alone the BHA boss!

roberto martinez is the closest thing i think there is to poyet. his first job was turning swansea into a team that walked this league in a new stadium and then challenged for the play offs in the league above, and he was willing to leave for wigan although admittedley the ex-player thing was a factor

the life of a football manager is so short these days that it means managers want to move forward as quickly as possible. i dont think it will happen with a couple of the right additions, but if we go up and struggle then poyet is not going to be such a hot property as he is now. he might want to grab the chance to take wigan forward, and use that as a stepping stone for a better job. no top premiership side will touch him while he is with us, he needs to have done a stint at a lower-premiership side first

that makes it a case of whether he thinks he can do that, and do it successfully with us, or whether he is in a hurry and wants to get to that level asap

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Also any mid sized team jobs that come up in the premiership got O'Neill and Curbishely out of work and god knows what other foreign managers (ex Real Madrid boss?)

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
we have a lovely new stadium on the way and are based in one of the most affluent areas of the country. I think we could fill Falmer regularly in the Championship.

If we do well in the Championship we have the fanbase to be a Premiership regular and I think Gus will aim to take us there and in doing so really make a name for himself.

I can only see him leaving for one of the 6 who are challenging for Champions League spots. Why go to Wigan and get the sack in 6 months? as they don't have the players or the set up to play his way or the money to change it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
the life of a football manager is so short these days that it means managers want to move forward as quickly as possible.

Is it? Where did you get this from?

Managers can go from late thirties into their late sixties/early seventies if they want to!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We couldn't even fill Withers in the Championship.

Completely illogical post.

We wouldn't fill a completely crap ground playing average football in the Championship, but we could fill a BRILLIANT ground playing beautiful football.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Whenever Gus leaves, it will only be for a big Prem job or a Championship sleeping giant(i.e Leeds, although I dont think he would go back there). Newcastle would be a good job for Gus somewhere down the line, if he did not mind going that far north. Having said that Spurs, Villa, Everton would tempt, outside the big four( if you still include Liverpool in that and not Spurs). If he was to leave sooner rather than later, the only man who could fill his shoes for me and is proven at this level and above is Alan Curbishley.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
If we get promoted, he will be gone next season.

If we fail to get promotion, I reckon he will stay on until he gets the job done. After all, this is his 1st managerial position and it won't look particuarly great if he goes before acheiving anything.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He should look at Martinez situation.

Another bloke who is a great manager and the football he got Swansea playing was also incredible.

He goes to Wigan and it isnt a quick fix. Luckily for him he has a good chairman who isn't going to axe him but Martinez in another job I suspect would of been sacked.

He is in a unique position here where he can havea real say in leaving a legacy from the bottom to the top.

Saying that, If we go up this year I can see him leading us out at Falmer.

If we still had him at the end of that season I'd be suprised

the hitman

Jan 17, 2008
Viva Las Burgess Hill
Have a feeling he will see his contract out. I sense he likes a challange (getting us as high as he can) and will not want to jump the gun too quick. Look what happened to Ince

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I can only see him leaving for one of the 6 who are challenging for Champions League spots. Why go to Wigan and get the sack in 6 months? as they don't have the players or the set up to play his way or the money to change it.

We didn't exactly tick any of those boxes before Gus arrived and he has turned things around in a remarkably quick time. If he can do that with us then he's bound to be able to do it with an established, stable Premier League club. Even if it is Wigan.

I think he'd be crazy to move to anywhere other than a top PL job-after he's been with us a few years. He's clearly no mug and he's already seen how managers get chewed up and spat out by clubs-let's hope the lure of money doesn't cloud his judgement.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Just get TB to splash the cash on Diego,his lad.We'd have emotional blackmail to keep him then!:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here