Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How Long is the Gus Bus in Town For?

How Long is the Gus Bus in Town For?

• Until the end of this season only

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • This season and next regardless of managerial vacancies

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • This season and as much of next until Real Zaragoza/Spurs/Leeds sack their manager

Votes: 39 31.7%
  • Until the Premiership and beyond

Votes: 26 21.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.6%

• Total voters

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
until the end of his contract , and depending which major jobs are about when that finishes - who knows.

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
I reckon he'll be with us for a while, not many clubs have prospects like us, with a new ground, wealthy chairman and thousands of new supporters waiting in the wings.
As Gus said when he signed the contract extension why would he want to have to do all this hard work again at a new club, which he's only going to get a chance at if someone else has f***ed it up.
We can't break the bank, nor would I want to see that happen but he'll be well paid with bonuses for promotion etc and fairly safe here, whereas going to a prem club, it will not be a top ten side so he could only be a dozen games from the sack if it goes wrong.
I predict we will rise and rise and he will stay three or four years, with that stadium and our (potential support) why go elsewhere (certainly to any club he is seriously likely to be offered a job at - national management is just for old men looking for a last big payday)

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
I'm not sure he will be here at the end of this season. As many as a third of managers will lose their jobs. There will be approaches. It's a question of the commitment he is willing to offer us at this stage.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm not sure he will be here at the end of this season. As many as a third of managers will lose their jobs. There will be approaches. It's a question of the commitment he is willing to offer us at this stage.

Whilst that's true - not many prem jobs come up, and those that do, rarely go to managers from lower divs. Which realistically leaves the top half of the championship (why would you join as club in the bottom half and fight relegation immediately - unless they have good potential).

And those in the top half ot the C'ship, are more than likely there as they are getting reasonable or good results. So, you could argue, that unless a c'ship team that's doing well get their manager poached, there is little to be gained by leaving - unless we slip down the table a bit and don't look like getting promotion.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
Whilst that's true - not many prem jobs come up, and those that do, rarely go to managers from lower divs. Which realistically leaves the top half of the championship (why would you join as club in the bottom half and fight relegation immediately - unless they have good potential).

And those in the top half ot the C'ship, are more than likely there as they are getting reasonable or good results. So, you could argue, that unless a c'ship team that's doing well get their manager poached, there is little to be gained by leaving - unless we slip down the table a bit and don't look like getting promotion.

Yes, perhaps I'm being a bit glum. There is the possibility of spanish offers though. I'm a bit pessimistic aren't I?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yes, perhaps I'm being a bit glum. There is the possibility of spanish offers though. I'm a bit pessimistic aren't I?

I had overlooked offers from abroad, so you may be right - he does seem to be pretty settled here in this country though, dosn't he.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

He certainly won't head off to the likes of Doncaster or Scunthorpe, and I don't think Pompey, Derby or Hull are big enough or have enough potential for him.

At risk of repeating myself, the one team I am scared of him leaving for is Middlesbrough, currently 20th, Strachan surely on his last legs, big club, big stadium, lots of fans and lots of money.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I think he'll stay for the first season at Falmer regardless of vacancies. After that it's in the lap of the football gods. I'd be pissed off if he ended up at somewhere like Wigan or blackburn though.

I think he coudl take Wigan or Blackburn up the league though and its the type of challenge he'd like.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This season and next season. He will go after a narrow failure in the Championship playoffs. :(

But actually, he'll deserve to go with his head held high, and I just hope he shows a lot more class than Micky Adams did, by not WHORING himself out and moaning every time he gets overlooked at a bigger club.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
If we go up and do well then Premiership clubs will be all over him. But I think until next season we're quite safe, he hasn't actually achieved anything tangible yet and other managers who've made the step up from similar situations haven't set the world alight (Ince, Martinez).

But on the other hand if we go up and are doing well, the possibility of takin us up might keep him here, rather than go to a lower Prem club. If it was someone like Villa, Spurs, he'd be off.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
At risk of repeating myself, the one team I am scared of him leaving for is Middlesbrough, currently 20th, Strachan surely on his last legs, big club, big stadium, lots of fans and lots of money.

I utterly disagree. You look at their crowds over the last few seasons, including the Premiership and they ain't all that. We're more than a match for 'Boro' and not a fantastic place to live in comparison to Brighton.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree with Cheeky Monkey on this.

Might have been a different story if Poyet had a playing or coaching history with Middlesbrough, but he hasn't.

And WGS has crammed that team with absolutely shit jocks on silly money, so the rebuild job is going to be too big. This Albion side would comfortably beat the current Middlesbrough side, with something to spare.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
the higher you go up the less time you get to sort things out, Gus knows where he is best of for a couple of years yet :thumbsup:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
until martinez gets sacked by wigan

Geo

Oct 18, 2010
Heathfield
Gus is here to stay for sometime. He needs to have a strong result on his CV which should be no less than auto promotion for the Seagulls. Also has anyone taken notice of the large number of youngsters being brought in with talent. This is an important part of the club if it intends to push forward to even dizzier heights. Much impressed with what is coming in. Gus will want to play a big part in getting the Albion up there and my guess is he will be on a good bonus if he succeeds.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
, he hasn't actually achieved anything tangible yet and other managers who've made the step up from similar situations haven't set the world alight (Ince, Martinez).

All the logic in the world says you're right, and God i hope so. But I really haven't seen any new manager, with less than a season of games under his belt, seem SO GOOD. Its not just the results, its the play, the motivation, the signings, the tactics, the relationship with the fans and press.

and to think I said on here I didn't want him and preferred Adkins :facepalm:

Bloom is a good gambler, so presumably doesn't like taking silly risks. I'd be a surprised if it was someone with no experience

The young managers can go and try their luck elsewhere, at a club needing more of a miracle-worker than a steady hand, and we can pick the cream of these to take us on to the top in a few seasons. But for now, we don't need to take a gamble on a miracle, we just need a decent manager to pull a decent bunch of players into a promotion side.
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Poyet, Thursday.

NOT my choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here