General Election predictions

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
then f*** off. rather have people here who care about society rather than themselves.
See I'm quite irateded by the above quote often peddled out by the caring Labour types on here, often talking about the many socially deprived people in the country, those that live on estates, out of work with children to feed ect, however if you ever bothered to go and interact you would find that many couldn't give a shit about anyone but themselves!!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Talking to a lad who works for me, 28, married 2 kids, works hard lives in rented accomodation but wants to get on the property ladder.

He fully admitted that he's never really thought about the whole political thing until now, he was at school when President Blair swept to power.

But with a young family he said his priorities were; education, the NHS, law and order and future employment prospects for his two boys.

Throw in worries over immigration and that's probably the whole crux of the election but will any of them address these issues head on?

Are we up for yet more empty promises or is this the election that will change UK politics forever?

spot on - although never underestimate the personal impact vote. As I've said many times before, Conservatives always do worse in opinion polls than they do in the election itself. This is because people when polled will give an answer based on how they feel they should vote whereas in the booth with the paper and pencil, it becomes more how they want to vote for their own personal gain. Low taxation ahead of more investment in public services etc

But this time round, it is (as Clinton's mob used to the say) 'the economy stupid' and that means public spending is a major aspect of that. Most neutrals will accept that the NHS is a better model that it has been for many years - they may question if the cash could have been spent better, but shorter waiting lists, better facilities etc do show something. Again in education, many friends who work in education (teaching, admin , governors etc) all say that it is better resourced than ever before - but now the question is more about how valid the curriculum is.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No, you're out because you were asked a challenging question by Simster. Although if you are so sure about your voting intentions, it shouldn't actually be challenging, but you do like the easy way out.

And in this context it wasn't a particularly rude 'f*** off'. You said you would be outta here, so it was a strongly worded instruction do do just that.

Do you have (m)any ties here US? If not, why not try another life somewhere else in the world - what have you got to lose? (Although I thought your dream was to live in the Lake District which is still very much part of the UK I believe.)

Not really Darren. I don't feel the need to converse with someone that has told me to f*** off for no reason. And as a mod what is a rude " f*** off ". As his " f*** off " is not considered rude by you thats ok but no doubt other people's " f*** off's " would be considered rude. I suggest it is not a problem because he told ME to f*** off but if he had told someone else to f*** off that was more in the clique or who you liked/respect more it would not be ok.

I will seriously look to leave the area/country if Labour win as I will consider it not worth trying anymore. I will of course keep you updated as I know how interested you are in my daily life.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not really Darren. I don't feel the need to converse with someone that has told me to f*** off for no reason. And as a mod what is a rude " f*** off ". As his " f*** off " is not considered rude by you thats ok but no doubt other people's " f*** off's " would be considered rude. I suggest it is not a problem because he told ME to f*** off but if he had told someone else to f*** off that was more in the clique or who you liked/respect more it would not be ok.

I will seriously look to leave the area/country if Labour win as I will consider it not worth trying anymore. I will of course keep you updated as I know how interested you are in my daily life.
I didn't actually say "f*** off" to you. I presumed you were talking about Tesco in disguise, who did.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
with a young family he said his priorities were; education, the NHS, law and order and future employment prospects for his two boys.

Throw in worries over immigration and that's probably the whole crux of the election but will any of them address these issues head on?
?

Good point, politicians aren't very brave these days.

I would like to see Labour really take on the public schools. There is something happening with the Charities Commission at the moment to justify their status, but it is very weak, and more aimed at forging links with local comps. My natural inclination would be to ban them, but I can see that might be difficult.

However, what I've never really understood is how they get charitable status, which gives them relief from taxes (corporation tax and others), and is therefore basically ordinary taxpayers subsidising the education of the already very rich. Ludicrous, and the total opposite of what a progressive taxation system is designed for.

So if Labour abolished charitable status they would at least have to operate like the businesses they are, they'd be forced to put fees up, many would go to to the wall and there would only be a few left. All those other kids, many from very pro-education and motivated families, would be spread across the system, and there would be a raising of the general standard. Then you start a virtuous circle. If the standard in comprehensives is going up, there is less need to have/attend fee-paying schools.

Labour would win a lot more votes than they would lose from that policy. Most of the people against it would never vote Labour anyway. And if it's not your idea of a good policy, and for some on here it wouldn't be, at least you'd have a straight choice between the parties instead of all the gutless, mealy-mouthed stuff currently.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
All those other kids, many from very pro-education and motivated families, would be spread across the system, and there would be a raising of the general standard. Then you start a virtuous circle. If the standard in comprehensives is going up, there is less need to have/attend fee-paying schools.
I disagree , standards would be dragged downwards and im sure you know it, i was talking to a teacher on staurday who teaches at a fairly rough comprehensive, at any one time in his class of 30 there is a maximum of 6 who actually want to learn and do well, can you imagine kids from brighton college going into a class and turning that round , or being bullied into submission ?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I didn't actually say "f*** off" to you. I presumed you were talking about Tesco in disguise, who did.

I was , everything is fine and dandy with us :thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I disagree , standards would be dragged downwards and im sure you know it, i was talking to a teacher on staurday who teaches at a fairly rough comprehensive, at any one time in his class of 30 there is a maximum of 6 who actually want to learn and do well, can you imagine kids from brighton college going into a class and turning that round , or being bullied into submission ?

I don't know it at all, and it's probably about critical mass. And - obviously - the onus is not on the kids to 'turn it around' as you say, it's up to the teachers to make the most of the new situation.

You sound like you've given up on state schools. Which, considering they are 90 per cent of schools, probably isn't going to very popular electorally with the parents, and is also selling out a generation of kids.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If Labour win I am giving up for good and leaving the country and can the last person left with any ambition please turn the lights out when they go.

Yeah like Phil Collins said in 97. I noticed the annoying little shit is still here all the time.

edit : Sorry I see Simster mentioned the wanker first.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I don't know it at all, and it's probably about critical mass. And - obviously - the onus is not on the kids to 'turn it around' as you say, it's up to the teachers to make the most of the new situation.

You sound like you've given up on state schools. Which, considering they are 90 per cent of schools, probably isn't going to very popular electorally with the parents, and is also selling out a generation of kids.
I havent given up, not at all, both my kids go to state schools, and if its up to the teachers to turn it round then there is no hope, they are hamstrung by the lack of means of disciplining pupils, and i dont mean corporal punishment , ive never used it on my kids , so i'm bloody sure no-one else is going to.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Does this make me a moron :shrug:, honestly there is nothing left for me in the UK for personal and business reasons and would leave the country without a second thought.

Haiti is the up and coming market for new properties being built US. Maybe thats the place for you.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I havent given up, not at all, both my kids go to state schools, and if its up to the teachers to turn it round then there is no hope, they are hamstrung by the lack of means of disciplining pupils, and i dont mean corporal punishment , ive never used it on my kids , so i'm bloody sure no-one else is going to.

Well, for the second time recently (after the newspaper fascists thread) I agree with you - this time about the discipline problem. But I'm not quite ready to settle for 'no hope', it's too important.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
There will be a small Tory majority.

The Libs to go for 'bill by bill' support, rather than all out coalition, but Cable might just sneak a look in.

If not enough strong enough mandate to get 'run of the mill' bills passed, then expect a replay sometime in the Autumn..

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
So, the odds are being shouted and various predictions made. what however do the boys and girls of NSC think is the most likely outcome of the General Election. Remember, this is not what you want to happen but what you think will happen.

ffs go back to the bunker with brown and the rest of new labours clowns and enjoy the last few days of a failed goverment dying on its knees

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
if you ever bothered to go and interact you would find that many couldn't give a shit about anyone but themselves!!

this i'm sure is true, but i don't think voting selfishly because others do is a good enough reason. try and be a better voter.

Not really Darren. I don't feel the need to converse with someone that has told me to f*** off for no reason. And as a mod what is a rude " f*** off ". As his " f*** off " is not considered rude by you thats ok but no doubt other people's " f*** off's " would be considered rude.

I will seriously look to leave the area/country if Labour win.

i didn't tell you to 'f*** off' for no reason. and rest assured i'm as upset by your comments as you are of mine.

and i don't want to alarm you, but a i understand it, we're not voting for the prime minister of sussex.

Good point, politicians ...

...mealy-mouthed stuff currently.

top, top post.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here