Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How interested are you in the Olympics

How interested are you in the Olympics

• Total voters

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Yes, yes I have.

I live about 25 minutes away from Alexander Stadium in Brum (well, Perry Barr). Lots of top class action, and tickets are usually pretty damn cheap.

Fair play. What sort of attendances does your average run of the mill meeting get?

The reason I ask is I never have and don't know anyone who has. It also speaks volumes about it's popularity that it's about the only sport the BBC have the rights to show. Yet there seemed to be an awful lot of people moaning about not getting tickets.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Yet there seemed to be an awful lot of people moaning about not getting tickets.

There are still tickets available for some events. Anyone moaning about not getting tickets to the Olympics either hasn't been bothered to buy any, or doesn't mean 'the Olympics'. There's also a bunch of free stuff to just turn up at the road-side and watch.

Also, how many people applied for tickets for the 80,000 seat stadium for the 100m final and nothing else? For many events the simple laws of supply and demand meant most people would end up ticketless.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Fair play. What sort of attendances does your average run of the mill meeting get?

The reason I ask is I never have and don't know anyone who has. It also speaks volumes about it's popularity that it's about the only sport the BBC have the rights to show. Yet there seemed to be an awful lot of people moaning about not getting tickets.

We only go to the bigger meetings (glory hunters!). We quite like the fact that there is a lot going on - usually a 'jumping' event and a 'throwing' event are going on whilst the track is being set upo between races. Even with the new stand, the capacity is only about 9000ish - very roughly the same as Withdean was in its latter days (don't ask how, it looks like more to me). Its a shame, in the respect the West Brom, Villa, and the Blues are all within a 10 miles, which goes to show how unpopular athletics is in this country in comparison to other sports.

I must admit, we only started to get into athletics because we wanted to see it at the Olympics - so we thought we would go to an event to see what it was like. We enjoyed it, so we'll carry on going back even after the games. I wonder if anyone else has got into a new sport (spectating, or participating) because of the games?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I cant bloody wait.

Its a SPECTACLE.
It's once every 4 years.
It's the ULTIMATE demonstration of sporting excellence.
It's witnessing peoples DREAMS being fulfilled or SHATTERED.
It's a chance to be OBSESSED with events that I wouldnt watch at any other time.
I LOVE IT.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Watching the road cycling for free from a spot I know on Box Hill, but more for the camping and a laugh with friends and family than the sport itself.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Watching the road cycling for free from a spot I know on Box Hill, but more for the camping and a laugh with friends and family than the sport itself.

That's the only way to watch a road race live!

NUFC1892

Feb 13, 2011
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
3. Would be a 1 if SJP wasn't hosting some of the games, would be a 7 if I was actually attending any of the games.

Mind, seeing the olympic rings on the Tyne Bridge and on SJP does make me feel quite proud.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Been watching the live feed of the torch relay today around Sussex, (Freeview 302 for those who didn't know), and have been suprised at the size of the crowds considering the pouring rain. Imagine it will packed tonight around the Brighton route.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
3. Would be a 1 if SJP wasn't hosting some of the games, would be a 7 if I was actually attending any of the games.

Mind, seeing the olympic rings on the Tyne Bridge and on SJP does make me feel quite proud.

Why not buy tickets then?

Search events

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I have an interest in some of the running events and will see them on TV as I would have done wherever the games were taking place,those who have chosen to attend are in for a daunting travelling experience and quite possibly security incidents. The amount of hype over these games does result in a feeling that, lets get it over with.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I really do not have the words to describe just how little I care about them. 4 years ago I was mildly interested and my interest has just decreased and decreased since.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
1. I guess I might feel differently if I still lived in the UK.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
When it was announced, probably an 8 but now its getting closer, 2 maybe 1. Watching the country throw £284m at G4S to do pretty much whatever they please with, then close off parts of the M4 so that a few thousand freeloaders don't have to suffer the nasty traffic jams has just soured it all for me, alongside plenty of other things.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
9 for me. Not a ten as The Olympics is never the highlight of my sporting year, but I do always look forward to them.

I'll be watching as much of it as possible on the telly with my kids and we've got tickets for handball, plus will go up to watch the men's cycling road race and ITT for free too.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I'll be half interested in some events (Russians v Chinese at gymnastics etc) but I'm not joining in the pre-Olympic bollocks or giving any voluntary money to the Mclympics. It's disgusting who's getting the money out of it all.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
How come two months of restrictions (what type of restrictions) for a 19 day event of which part will be in Greenwich, just curious like.

Greenwich Park being used for Equestrian stuff. With the preparation, the Olympics, space, then paralympics, then taking it all down, it will be two months worth.
There are severely reduced trains into London for commuters, restrictions on how you move around stations, and more parking restrictions than normal. Just going to be a real pain.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here