Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How confident are you that we'll sign a QUALITY striker before the window closes

How confident are you that we'll sign a QUALITY striker before the window closes

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I totally agree with your side of argument and sentiment.

Murray next season would still be a better attacker than Ali J. He is an instinctive striker, great header of the ball and good finisher. So his legs have gone a bit, his brain hasnt.

Ali J has shown nothing that he's even up to being any good in his natural position, to suggest he is a better attacker than a much lauded veteran of multiple double digit campaigns is quite frankly ludicrous.

Murray hadn't become bad, hasn't lost his instincts. What has changed is we have a new manager who has changed formation away from conventional wingers to something narrower, and wants to play through the lines. This simply suits other players more than a more traditional old school number 9.

His lack of game time is a more a reflection of the new managers ethos, shape and way he wants to play than Murray's instincts or ability as a striker.

Yes he's a bit physically slower, he would have scored Maupays and Dunks chances if he were in the same position. But he could have still been an effective sub or suited to some games. To even suggest Ali J could be better in the role than Murray..... madness

He'll be 38 next season.

I do find it interesting that opinions differ so hugeley about Murray vs Ali J. My view is very pro-Ali J, but I have no evidence that he will score 10 EPL goals or more for us this season (a 'Murray aged 35-36' style tally). I have no evidence that G-Pott even plans to select Ali J more than he did last season.

That said, given the choice between a 38 year old who scored 1 EPL goal in 20 appearances, and a 27 year old who scored 2 goals in 10 appearances last season, it would be a brave man to not back the club's decision to go with the younger man, perhaps converting him to an actual striker rather than shoving him out on the wing? Call me clueless . . . . :shrug:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
He'll be 38 next season.

I do find it interesting that opinions differ so hugeley about Murray vs Ali J. My view is very pro-Ali J, but I have no evidence that he will score 10 EPL goals or more for us this season (a 'Murray aged 35-36' style tally). I have no evidence that G-Pott even plans to select Ali J more than he did last season.

That said, given the choice between a 38 year old who scored 1 EPL goal in 20 appearances, and a 27 year old who scored 2 goals in 10 appearances last season, it would be a brave man to not back the club's decision to go with the younger man, perhaps converting him to an actual striker rather than shoving him out on the wing? Call me clueless . . . . :shrug:

You’re clueless :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I may be biased, but a player who has never relied on speed, doesn't deteriorate in the way that say, an Ian Wright, would.

Glenn was not given a chance last season. I would have kept him as a third-choice striker, and got him to coach Connolly and Maupay. They're both faster than him, but both could learn from his positioning and finishing skills.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I may be biased, but a player who has never relied on speed, doesn't deteriorate in the way that say, an Ian Wright, would.

Glenn was not given a chance last season. I would have kept him as a third-choice striker, and got him to coach Connolly and Maupay. They're both faster than him, but both could learn from his positioning and finishing skills.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The chances that were created for Maupay and Dunk against Chelsea, he buries one of them doesn’t he.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
He'll be 38 next season.

Ali J is not the answer, unless the question is ‘what does the back up striker for a relegation-bound team look like?’

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Deep down, deep deep down, we all think we won’t sign a striker

This.

If we do it'll be an oddball unknown as back up . . . . Which is fine. Teams like these can't afford better, and under current circumstances most can't full stop.

I think we have enough 'in house' to finish 15th again . . . . Maybe better . . . . BUT . .. injuries could play a big part.

Who knows, but it'll be business as usual following it all

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Zero chance.

I don’t think we need a left bsck March/Bernardo/burn is okay.

We need to get rid of one of propper or Stephens and upgrade them and sign a striker too.

None of the above will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Deep down, deep deep down, we all think we won’t sign a striker

I might have to book the day off work following the window slamming shut.

This place will be phenomenal fun that day. :lolol:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I might have to book the day off work following the window slamming shut.

This place will be phenomenal fun that day. [emoji38]ol:
Which window ?

The sign-a-striker-from-overseas-or-the-PL window shuts in 18 days time.

The sign-a-striker-from-the-EFL-ie-Solanke-King-Pukki-Welbeck-Deeney window shuts in 29 days time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ali J is not the answer, unless the question is ‘what does the back up striker for a relegation-bound team look like?’

:lolol:

1vP.gif

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He played well, and I’m pleased for him, as he’s clearly a nice chap. But he ain’t a striker. He could be very good as part of a front three alongside a striker.

I agree about the front 3. But by your logic Liverpool's front three aren't strikers, only Mo Salah (maybe, albeit he plays on the right). If so, fine. We don't need strkers then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here