Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How confident are you that we'll sign a QUALITY striker before the window closes

How confident are you that we'll sign a QUALITY striker before the window closes

• Total voters

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Ali J is not the answer, unless the question is ‘what does the back up striker for a relegation-bound team look like?’

Oh stop with the hyperbole, he scored more goals (a grand total of 2) than Murray last season with significantly less time on the pitch, meaning that neither of them played a significant role last year. So the side is hardly relegation bound now is it.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Oh stop with the hyperbole, he scored more goals (a grand total of 2) than Murray last season with significantly less time on the pitch, meaning that neither of them played a significant role last year. So the side is hardly relegation bound now is it.

I don't think we'll sign a quality striker but I'm not worried about it as I think we'll stay up comfortably.

The bigger issue for me is whether we ever sign a quality striker and so leave us open to be relegated at some season in the future. I think our wage restraints will always leave us being outbid for our top targets.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

If we want to improve on last year, we quite simply have to put more chances away. It’s clear we need a strong, fast ‘fulcrum’ up front who knows where the net is. Nunez looked ideal. We all know it, and the club knows it but it ain’t easy. Ali J is not that. He could be the support striker in a front 3 but he is not a #9. I simply don’t share your confidence it will all be Ok without it. We’ll have loads more ‘should have won/drawn’ games like Monday without it, and could easily go down because of it, despite all the progressive, pretty football.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It might be coincidence but maybe this "striker problem" we've got might be having a positive influence on our midfielders to try their luck?

In our last 3 competitive matches each of Bissouma, Trossard and Ali J has scored with a shot from outside the area, while even Stephens has hit the post.

Only Gross in season 1 has managed to consistently contribute goals from midfield but if Trossard continues to perform as he has since lockdown and the others continue to try their luck we might be OK. I see our lack of being able to bring in a top striker more as preventing us kicking on from 15th, rather than being the difference between survival or relegation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It might be coincidence but maybe this "striker problem" we've got might be having a positive influence on our midfielders to try their luck?

In our last 3 competitive matches each of Bissouma, Trossard and Ali J has scored with a shot from outside the area, while even Stephens has hit the post.

Only Gross in season 1 has managed to consistently contribute goals from midfield but if Trossard continues to perform as he has since lockdown and the others continue to try their luck we might be OK. I see our lack of being able to bring in a top striker more as preventing us kicking on from 15th, rather than being the difference between survival or relegation.
I think Biss' goal came on this 50th attempt.

He really can't do that again.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I don't think we'll sign a quality striker but I'm not worried about it as I think we'll stay up comfortably.

The bigger issue for me is whether we ever sign a quality striker and so leave us open to be relegated at some season in the future. I think our wage restraints will always leave us being outbid for our top targets.

I agree that we look too good to go down and after watching how crap Spurs looked against Everton, I wont be surprised if we manage to beat a few of the big guns this season (again)

But getting this quality striker is achievable. Celtic always seem to find a gem from the land of nowhere. I think the trick is to avoid players who come at a high price and yet don't make their current teams starting 11. Watford fans thought they were on to a winner when they signed Wellbeck from Arsenal and so did Palace when they signed Benteke from Liverpool. Both were big failures. I'm hoping we get someone who has been under the radar. Maybe someone lower league like the Jamie Vardy signing or from a country where scouts aren't so busy?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I agree that we look too good to go down and after watching how crap Spurs looked against Everton, I wont be surprised if we manage to beat a few of the big guns this season (again)

But getting this quality striker is achievable. Celtic always seem to find a gem from the land of nowhere. I think the trick is to avoid players who come at a high price and yet don't make their current teams starting 11. Watford fans thought they were on to a winner when they signed Wellbeck from Arsenal and so did Palace when they signed Benteke from Liverpool. Both were big failures. I'm hoping we get someone who has been under the radar. Maybe someone lower league like the Jamie Vardy signing or from a country where scouts aren't so busy?

Goal-a-game Duffy didn't come from 'nowhere'!!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If we want to improve on last year, we quite simply have to put more chances away. It’s clear we need a strong, fast ‘fulcrum’ up front who knows where the net is. Nunez looked ideal. We all know it, and the club knows it but it ain’t easy. Ali J is not that. He could be the support striker in a front 3 but he is not a #9. I simply don’t share your confidence it will all be Ok without it. We’ll have loads more ‘should have won/drawn’ games like Monday without it, and could easily go down because of it, despite all the progressive, pretty football.

Agree, we need a taller striker/focal point imho, we all saw what happened with first goal v Chelsea, with 2 of Liverpools goals at the Amex last season, and these were just our mistakes. With our style of playing out from the back, the top teams that play the high press and are going to get at you every time defenders/DMs have ball and will punish stray/erroneous passes.
You either continue to play with fire, playing every move from the back against the top teams high press and don't make one mistake, or (as Leeds did at Anfield to great effect), you play a good few balls longer to a taller fulcrum with runners off them, bypassing the press.

Right now with Connolly and Maupay we simply don't have that option, 9/10 defender is going to beat them in the air with any longer ball.....so we stick to playing russian roulette around our 18 yard area.

The patient pass it our from back style is great, until the best High pressers nullify you into making errors which equals goals against. Having a plan B helps.....for that imho we need a taller targetman type, which Muzza was which Nunez would've been, which Maxi Gomez (dream on!) could be, which Ollie McBurnie was for Potter at Swansea.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Are you saying we will definitely be relegated if we don't sign a new third choice striker?
Or do you think we will be relegated if we don't sign a new first choice striker?

I disagree,

IMO the biggest 2 factors in teams being relegated is the quality of the defence and injuries.
we are strong in both depth of squad and defensive players.

When it comes to attacking players, Potter will perm 3 forwards from the players available.
Without signing anyone throughout this season are options are:

Maupay/Trossard/Connolly/Lallana/Gross/McAllister/Jahanbaksh/Gyokeres/Andone

That's 8 players with experience of Premier League football and 1 newbie.
Sure I would like to add more options than that, but I don't think we are particularly weak there.
Certainly not odds on to be relegated.

Don't agree. Biggest reason is lack of goals. You can't win without them.

Villa had no decent strikers and scraped home. Huddersfield under Wagner played some lovely stuff, we're ok defensively ..... No decent attacker. Good night.

Gykores is not ready, Andone is injured. Whilst Connolly shows promise and flashes, he's shown no consistency yet to firmly lay the responsibility of 10+ goals on him....maybe he will, but just as likely he won't, if he suffers a similar slump in form.

Maupay is the main man and even he can be hot and cold. If something happens to him, we will be in trouble.

Doesn't guarantee relegation, but will be flirting with it and wouldn't be surprised.

Just one half decent additional striker - who I'd guess offers something different to NM & AC (i.e a bit of height) would offer many different options we lack and would cover the loss of Maupay better than just Connolly plus Ali J or Trossard (neither of whom are natural strikers nor physical against big defenders).

Loan/perm I really don't care personally.....nearly everyone around us last year has added decent attacking options, thus being a tad stronger, we have as yet not done so........ I really trust we will, if we don't it could be a massive OG.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Don't agree. Biggest reason is lack of goals. You can't win without them.

Villa had no decent strikers and scraped home. Huddersfield under Wagner played some lovely stuff, we're ok defensively ..... No decent attacker. Good night.

Gykores is not ready, Andone is injured. Whilst Connolly shows promise and flashes, he's shown no consistency yet to firmly lay the responsibility of 10+ goals on him....maybe he will, but just as likely he won't, if he suffers a similar slump in form.

Maupay is the main man and even he can be hot and cold. If something happens to him, we will be in trouble.

Doesn't guarantee relegation, but will be flirting with it and wouldn't be surprised.

Just one half decent additional striker - who I'd guess offers something different to BM & AC (i.e a bit of height) would offer many different options we lack and would cover the loss of Maupay better than just Connolly plus Ali J or Trossard (neither of whom are natural strikers nor physical against big defenders).

Loan/perm I really don't care personally.....nearly everyone around us last year has added decent attacking options, thus being a tad stronger, we have as yet not done so........ I really trust we will, if we don't it could be a massive OG.

I agree that a quality Forward will make the difference between us struggling and pushing on to midtable mediocrity.
But the idea that it's the difference between relegation and staying up is ridiculous.
Your comment that Villa stayed up without forwards rather proves the point doesn't it?

Huddersfield conceded 76 (second worst in the league) in the season they were relegated.
Hardly a decent defence.

and let's not forget how well Fulham did with the perennial Murray replacement in their ranks, last time out.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I agree that a quality Forward will make the difference between us struggling and pushing on to midtable mediocrity.
But the idea that it's the difference between relegation and staying up is ridiculous.
Your comment that Villa stayed up without forwards rather proves the point doesn't it?

Huddersfield conceded 76 (second worst in the league) in the season they were relegated.
Hardly a decent defence.

and let's not forget how well Fulham did with the perennial Murray replacement in their ranks, last time out.

Concur that as we are doesn't guarantee relegation, and that with a decent 10+ striker we will be comfortable (oh the joys of just one season of mid table comfort) but as of today, it's really gambling the house on form and staying injury free with just 2 recognised strikers one if whom has had very patchy form so far.

Bloom is a gambler, maybe he will?.... I suspect he won't.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Still can't help thinking the club are working on a few deals that could eclipse what we have done before? 2 or 3 decent signings really could push us up that level.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Concur that as we are doesn't guarantee relegation, and that with a decent 10+ striker we will be comfortable (oh the joys of just one season of mid table comfort) but as of today, it's really gambling the house on form and staying injury free with just 2 recognised strikers one if whom has had very patchy form so far.

Bloom is a gambler, maybe he will?.... I suspect he won't.

But he's not a gambler in that sense though is he...

He will weigh up all his options and make the necessary move.
Is the situation so desperate that he needs to go all in for a new quality striker?

I don't think it is. If he can get the right player at the right price, then yes he will.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Agree, we need a taller striker/focal point imho, we all saw what happened with first goal v Chelsea, with 2 of Liverpools goals at the Amex last season, and these were just our mistakes. With our style of playing out from the back, the top teams that play the high press and are going to get at you every time defenders/DMs have ball and will punish stray/erroneous passes.
You either continue to play with fire, playing every move from the back against the top teams high press and don't make one mistake, or (as Leeds did at Anfield to great effect), you play a good few balls longer to a taller fulcrum with runners off them, bypassing the press.

Right now with Connolly and Maupay we simply don't have that option, 9/10 defender is going to beat them in the air with any longer ball.....so we stick to playing russian roulette around our 18 yard area.

The patient pass it our from back style is great, until the best High pressers nullify you into making errors which equals goals against. Having a plan B helps.....for that imho we need a taller targetman type, which Muzza was which Nunez would've been, which Maxi Gomez (dream on!) could be, which Ollie McBurnie was for Potter at Swansea.

Couldn't agree more. I like our passing out from the back but it is hugely risky against some of the top sides who press so high. Too many errors leading to goals like Leicester's 1st versus us at the Amex last season, and a couple of Liverpool's goals spring to mind. Potter wants us to be like them in their approach which is admirable but currently we are nowhere good enough to do this against all sides.

Against the bottom half of the table sides it's worth doing but in my view not against the quality of the top clubs (not yet anyway). The problem though that we are then left with is do we go long on occasions? With so little height or the lack of a Murray type forward to hold the ball up or win the odd free kick against opposing defenders we currently have little option. I love the way Potter is trying to get us to play but we do need an alternative option up front to take the pressure off Maupay and when necessary to go long if playing it out from the back is too risky.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Couldn't agree more. I like our passing out from the back but it is hugely risky against some of the top sides who press so high. Too many errors leading to goals like Leicester's 1st versus us at the Amex last season, and a couple of Liverpool's goals spring to mind. Potter wants us to be like them in their approach which is admirable but currently we are nowhere good enough to do this against all sides.

Against the bottom half of the table sides it's worth doing but in my view not against the quality of the top clubs (not yet anyway). The problem though that we are then left with is do we go long on occasions? With so little height or the lack of a Murray type forward to hold the ball up or win the odd free kick against opposing defenders we currently have little option. I love the way Potter is trying to get us to play but we do need an alternative option up front to take the pressure off Maupay and when necessary to go long if playing it out from the back is too risky.

I hate it when we concede soft goals due to a mistake.

However I really like Potter's view that the mistakes are part of the learning process for our players.
His no fear and no blame philosophy is definitely reaping dividends and has helped transform players, who looked like rabbits in the headlights at the end of CH's final term.

The only way they are going to get better at playing this way is by continuing to play the same way against the better teams.
Shrinking away from that reinforces the idea that they are not good enough and never will be good enough.

We should always look to mix it up, and go long on occasion.
In fact we do do that quite often, but it is used as the exception.
We should be using it to keep the opposition honest and exploit their weaknesses, not just because we're playing a good team and we don't trust our players.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I am still confident that we will IF we find the right deal. Just comparing Liverpool's capture of Thiago Alcantara (sp!) for £20m + £5m add-ons with Villa throwing reported £28m + £5m for Watkins. I am sure some will say if he scores enough goals to keep you up, its money well spent, and I have not looked at previous contract time to run, but when I look at both deals in simple terms, one looks remarkably better value than the other!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Seeing GP in SSN this afternoon, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't one, not this side of Christmas anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here