Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] how comfortable are you with UK airforce defending Israel?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I wish we could just chill out, float about on our little island and not get involved in anything rather than doing the whole 'World Police' act with the yanks. Unfortunately, there are obviously too many geopolitical issues we've contributed to or created for that to be an option.
Indeed. It seems we just hang onto the coat tails of the US, with our government still believing that we’re still a global power. We’re not anymore.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I wish we could just chill out, float about on our little island and not get involved in anything rather than doing the whole 'World Police' act with the yanks. Unfortunately, there are obviously too many geopolitical issues we've contributed to or created for that to be an option.
Are you sure?

I really don't see what is compelling our involvement here. I don't see that the Balfour Declaration or the Iraq war or all the other interventions are directly compelling us to send military assets to the gulf to intervene right here, right now.

Perceived political expediency seems more probable? The education and world view of the Prime Minister? A desire to distance himself from previous leaders? I'm not discounting influence from his wife. I'm not trying to sound like an asshole. I genuinely don't know what we're doing getting involved in this.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Where’s Steve Foster when you want some unbiased input ?

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Almost bizarre in the fact that the Royal Navy aren't allowed to defend the English Channel. :shrug:

But in answer to your original question, if it maintains world peace then its has to be a good thing.

Yep, so grateful that our forces are maintaining world peace in the Middle East.

The sooner you wake up the better. Anyone would think you've spent your life in a morgue.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Over reaction from Iran? Really?

I think Israel has over reaction down to an art! Oct 7 saw Hamas massacre around 1200 people, since then Israel have killed a figure approaching 50,000 in Gaza.
Yes. Iran are not directly involved. Why ignore the part of my post that also points out I think Israel have also been "heavy handed"?

Neither side is in the right over there. Both the Palestinians and Israelis have valid complaints against each other. Equally, both sides have committed acts against the other that should never have happened.

Further, I find the US' unconditional support for Israel unhelpful. Just as I find Iran getting involved unhelpful.

The whole situation is a fracking mess that needs some sensible adults in the room.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yes. Iran are not directly involved. Why ignore the part of my post that also points out I think Israel have also been "heavy handed"?

Neither side is in the right over there. Both the Palestinians and Israelis have valid complaints against each other. Equally, both sides have committed acts against the other that should never have happened.

Further, I find the US' unconditional support for Israel unhelpful. Just as I find Iran getting involved unhelpful.

The whole situation is a fracking mess that needs some sensible adults in the room.
Not much chance of that. All the more reason for us to stay as far out of it as we can. With China talking about supporting its 'Arab brothers' (do me a favour) and Russia unquestionably backing Iran in exchange for weapons to be used against Ukraine, this is very much one to watch from the sidelines.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

On the whole I agree with you. But all the while the Israeli position is driven by the self centred, facist and corrupt Netanyahu then we have to put up with entrenched positions on all sides.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here