Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How big is our catchment area?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
In the very old days of the third division we took more coaches to Gillingham game than the official coaches from the club from Mid Sussex. Also we took four to Nottingham Forest and the famous Chesterfield trip and at least one to most away games. Lancing and Worthing Hailsham and Eastbourne were always well supported.Brighton and Hove Albion will always beenthe team for Sussex and over the boarder into places like Burwash.:facepalm:
Keep on spreading the word and convert the incomers who are moving into our green and plesant county.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This thread shows what a unifying force the football club is across both counties.

Building the Amex next to a train station and the main east-west road running through the county was a masterstroke, and I shake my head in disbelief at the short-sightedness of the Falmer NO campaigners.

In an ideal world the fans of BHAFCwill one day rise up and rid the county of the divisive "East" and "West" tags, uniting the two once more as the Kingdom of Sussex with Tony Bloom as the people's monarch.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Just seen a young lad on a wall outside the new to be opened Tesco Express in Northlands Wood Haywards Heath wearing a Brighton Shirt 1-1 Rev or do I get more points being as its a shirt.!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
.................and within 15 miles from the Amex you have a population of 750,000. So it is no wonder that the Albion have such good support.
Or looking at it another way, you could say that 25000(ish) out of 750,000 (a mere 3%) isn't very good!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Or looking at it another way, you could say that 25000(ish) out of 750,000 (a mere 3%) isn't very good!

Strangely, I had thought that also, but decided not to write it in! Given that we have 750,000 within 15 miles and thousands more up to 35 miles away,( Bexhill, Hastings, Crawley, Horsham, Tunbridge wells etc) then you could argue that we are not that well supported, given that no other team is close. Depends on how you view a crowd of 25,000, doesn't it? I think most would say it was pretty good. Over the years, I have heard it said that when a new manager is needed, one of the big pluses is that Brighton get superb support, and whilst that is undoubtedly true, the Albion really can't help but get such numbers with probably near enough a million with easy travelling distance. Whatever - still better than having small crowds.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Strangely, I had thought that also, but decided not to write it in! Given that we have 750,000 within 15 miles and thousands more up to 35 miles away,( Bexhill, Hastings, Crawley, Horsham, Tunbridge wells etc) then you could argue that we are not that well supported, given that no other team is close. Depends on how you view a crowd of 25,000, doesn't it? I think most would say it was pretty good. Over the years, I have heard it said that when a new manager is needed, one of the big pluses is that Brighton get superb support, and whilst that is undoubtedly true, the Albion really can't help but get such numbers with probably near enough a million with easy travelling distance. Whatever - still better than having small crowds.

Quite agree - 25000 ain't bad. I wonder what percentage of their catchment area somebody like Burnley gets, though.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Quite agree - 25000 ain't bad. I wonder what percentage of their catchment area somebody like Burnley gets, though.

Yes, that would be the example I would also use. Apparently Burnley has a population of about 80,000, depending on what you include and obviously there will be other areas, presumably such like Nelson and Colne, but their percentage would, I imagine, be very much better.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The catchment area is basically all of East and West Sussex, with a small dent around the borderlands of Crawley, and lost territory to Portsmouth from around Bognor westwards.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, that would be the example I would also use. Apparently Burnley has a population of about 80,000, depending on what you include and obviously there will be other areas, presumably such like Nelson and Colne, but their percentage would, I imagine, be very much better.
So basically, if we were like Burnley, we'd need about a 250,000 seater then!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here