Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Horrid places to live in within Sussex?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Some people CLEARLY don't know the meaning of "horrid places to live" seeing as well over half of the places listed on this thread are nothing of the sort.

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
Some people CLEARLY don't know the meaning of "horrid places to live" seeing as well over half of the places listed on this thread are nothing of the sort.

Sussex is heaven on earth compared to Lancashire. Most of the places mentioned are dull and depressing rather than 'horrid'. Like Haywards Heath, so glad i left as soon as i could.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sussex is heaven on earth compared to Lancashire. Most of the places mentioned are dull and depressing rather than 'horrid'. Like Haywards Heath, so glad i left as soon as i could.
i think that's closer to the truth.

Haywards Heath, Burgess Hill, East Grinstead etc are not exactly exciting mid-sized towns but are not horrible places to live either.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Agreed, anyone who has seen Bolton on a Friday night can attest to that!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sussex is heaven on earth compared to Lancashire.

But that's nonsense too. There are some lovely parts of Lancashire just as there are lovely parts of Sussex. I had a university friend who lived in rural Lancashire and it was absolutely beautiful. She lived in a picture postcard-type village and when I commented on its beauty, she said, rather bitterly "Yes, but you try growing up here and finding something to do" - something that could probably be applied to many villages in Sussex.

Hove&Albion F.C

May 15, 2004
But that's nonsense too. There are some lovely parts of Lancashire just as there are lovely parts of Sussex. I had a university friend who lived in rural Lancashire and it was absolutely beautiful. She lived in a picture postcard-type village and when I commented on its beauty, she said, rather bitterly "Yes, but you try growing up here and finding something to do" - something that could probably be applied to many villages in Sussex.

I'm not denying there are definitely some very nice parts of Lancashire and some great countryside.. but on the whole there are also far more very deprived towns. Just made me laugh people stating places like HH, Burgess Hill etc as 'horrid' places. Dull, yes, horrid- nowhere near!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
it never ceases to amaze me ,youngsters today complaining that life is dull and there's nothing to do,what's wrong with banging up some speed, robbing a car and ram raiding an offie......jesus , what's wrong with kids today.....:nono:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not denying there are definitely some very nice parts of Lancashire and some great countryside.. but on the whole there are also far more very deprived towns.!

Which towns? Blackburn and Burnley perhaps - but I think Burnley's got a sort of charm. I quite like Preston. Blackpool's a bit vulgar, but there's plenty to do. Lancaster's rather quaint and Lytham''s genteel.

TBH, I don't think it's all that different from Sussex: some dull towns, some ugly towns, some lively ones and some beautiful countryside

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Instead of slagging off another town, I'll defend Hastings..
As one who knows the town quite well, rather than getting my information from tired, lazy and unrepresentative news features, I'd say it's got more vibe, soul and bounce than just about anywhere else in the county.
Actually, contradicting my first point, I'd rather eat my own kidney than go back to Rye.

I'm with you. I've lived in Hastings since 1983 and have watched it improve slowly but, especially recently (lasat 5yrs), at a marked rate. Right now it is indeed the hip place to move to amongst the Londista and University students alike.

I think it is unfairly blighted by the association with St. Leonards (where many problem areas remain) which taints its image somewhat, in terms of re-generation, West St. Leonards particularly is crying out for something big to happen (council missed a trick by not building a marina at the old bathing pool site).

Hastings itself though is embracing change. Projects like the Railway station plaza development, Alexandra Park improvements and new University campus are complete. The new Crowhurst industial park, and controversial Stade re-development are steaming ahead.

The Old Town (where I've lived all these years) has always had a cracking vibe. More than ever now it is awash with art and music types that give it a real bohemian feel (without losing the salty sea dog history). Every year it hosts Old Town week (loads of events), a massive carnival, firework display (one of the very best), May day motorbike run, Jack In The Green festival, seafood and wine festival, and much more. It is a haven for live music lovers with so many pubs supporting bands/all music genres throughout the week.

Things to improve: pier (destined to fall into the sea I would guess), the actual town/shopping centre (crap shops, crap pubs, not nice for visitors at all), ice skating rink (closed for decades, do something with it!).

Plenty of worse places to live though I can assure you.

Cecil

Feb 8, 2008
Heathfield
I was in Heathfield last evening and must say it is beginning to nose dive.
Two youths sitting on the pavement, one with a pink mohican the other with bleeched hair, totally oblivious to what was going on around them. The town is swamped with fast food outlets and boy racers showing off to their common Sharonesque tarts. What I must say is that generally when one does take time to converse with said youths between their grunts and cave man expleetives they seem to be decent folk. Don't venture out into Hailsham after dark.

Heathfield, although it can be said sometimes doesn't have a great deal going on,is far from a horrid place to live.

How can any place with the beautiful Heathfield Park Cricket Club be a horrid place to live?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Two youths sitting on the pavement, one with a pink mohican the other with bleeched hair, totally oblivious to what was going on around them. The town is swamped with fast food outlets and boy racers showing off to their common Sharonesque tarts. What I must say is that generally when one does take time to converse with said youths between their grunts and cave man expleetives they seem to be decent folk. Don't venture out into Hailsham after dark.

You should've said hi to me mate...

I know exactly who you mean.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Newhaven - shit hole and full of chavs
Crowborough - in the middle of no where
Worthing - its like going back to the 80's AND traffic is shit!
Heathfield - dead?
Hastings - dump

Dead? You will be if you spent a night in the POW or Crown with that attitude son :dunce:

simmo

Feb 8, 2008

Yeah righto :wozza:

I live in Heathfield and work v near to Poplar (E London btw) and I can assure you I know which is a horrible place to live and which is not.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I've lived in Sussex from day 0 and I've never heard of Heathfield or Sidley.

So you didn't hear anything of the double child murder about 3 months ago then? Serious question...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here