Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Horne & Corden

I had the misfortune of seeing the rerun of Horne and Corden last night. Saw the postings on NSC and thought that I should judge for myself. Should have believed NSC, I will never get that 15' (all I could bear) of my life back.

Re: big train. Thought that was done by the Father Ted writers, thought Simon Pegg only acted in it. Never seems to be repeated on any of the free channels, thought the "Staring Competition" was a classic. Never see "The Good Guys" (spoof "fly on the wall" about an inept Police team) repeated either - watch that and see where Ricky Gervais got his ideas from.

As for "current" comedy I think you might just as well watch the Father Ted (and possibly IT Crowd) reruns that always seem to be on until Peep Show and Armstrong and Miller do a new series.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
As for "current" comedy I think you might just as well watch the Father Ted (and possibly IT Crowd) reruns that always seem to be on until Peep Show and Armstrong and Miller do a new series.

That recent IT crowd episode with the football website was class! :lolol:

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Boy, this thread is going way off topic. No bha, atheism is a lack of belief, whereas antitheism is opposition to belief.

Anyway back to Horne and Corden...

Just to keep it firmly off topic, you may be interested to know I had not long ago been reading a lot into the band Mayhem and Euronymous' death and Varg Vikernes/Burzum and all that stuff, found it fascinating, especially Varg's writings from jail.

Just thought it may surprise you.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bastard! :lolol:

You'll be aware that my avatar is Euronymous then? Well done you for your interest. What inspired it?

I don't know. Always found that whole underground scene fascinating. Just the philosophies and world outlook of some of the guys. I'm a big fan of a fair bit of skandinavian music as well so maybe it progressed from there.

So....do you take Euronymous' side then? It's funny because the whole story of his murder sounds very different told from each side. I understand Varg is out of jail now right?

Hopefully you can tell I'm not exactly one of those close-minded, evolution-rejecting Christians who lives in a bubble with their hands over their ears shouting "not listening".

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
To get this thread back on track...

I watched the show and it was lame, for all of the reasons already given in this thread.

These guys need to get a 3hr DVD of The Two Ronnies and study how to craft a sketch and use the fat man / thin man physical difference to real advantage. Corbett and Barker derived hundreds of laughs from their physical extremes but I don't recall Corbett ever resorting to rolling Barker's love handles.

Horne and Corden can both act, and YES they have a fairly good double-act thing going, but the script was awful.

Potentially Spiderman and Superman in a gym changing room COULD be funny. Similarly, teaching a classroom of boys how to draw rude graffiti COULD be funny. But it wasn't. Just lame, derivative tosh.

And I thought the sketch about the ex-boarding school chums was actually quite painful to watch - what's funny about a bloke pretending to f*** another bloke up the arse in front of his kids??

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
There was some trace of comedy in most sketches (albeit pretty weak), but - seriously - can someone explain why the relay race was meant to be funny?

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
I don't know. Always found that whole underground scene fascinating. Just the philosophies and world outlook of some of the guys. I'm a big fan of a fair bit of skandinavian music as well so maybe it progressed from there.

So....do you take Euronymous' side then? It's funny because the whole story of his murder sounds very different told from each side. I understand Varg is out of jail now right?

Hopefully you can tell I'm not exactly one of those close-minded, evolution-rejecting Christians who lives in a bubble with their hands over their ears shouting "not listening".

I can't really take a side. As you say there's much debate about the reasoning behind the murder, but I must say it's hard to side with Varg simply from the standpoint that he murdered the guy, irrespective of the motive.

I knew Varg's release was up for review sometime soon, but a quick look on the net has flagged up that he was released yesterday. So thanks for the heads-up on that. :thumbsup:

I did just discover this quote from todays Guardian online which made me chuckle:

"As countless column inches have shown, Vikernes proved himself to be as rubbish a murderer as he was a metaller with his band Burzum (which was less a band and more just Vikernes, in his bedroom)." :lolol:

People expecting comments on Horne & Corden are going to be wondering what the f*** we're wittering on about! :lolol:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can't really take a side. As you say there's much debate about the reasoning behind the murder, but I must say it's hard to side with Varg simply from the standpoint that he murdered the guy, irrespective of the motive.

I knew Varg's release was up for review sometime soon, but a quick look on the net has flagged up that he was released yesterday. So thanks for the heads-up on that. :thumbsup:

I did just discover this quote from todays Guardian online which made me chuckle:

"As countless column inches have shown, Vikernes proved himself to be as rubbish a murderer as he was a metaller with his band Burzum (which was less a band and more just Vikernes, in his bedroom)." :lolol:

People expecting comments on Horne & Corden are going to be wondering what the f*** we're wittering on about! :lolol:

Probably serves them right for taking an interest in Horne and Corden. Poor man's Mitchell and Webb.

That is quality from the Guardian.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There was some trace of comedy in most sketches (albeit pretty weak), but - seriously - can someone explain why the relay race was meant to be funny?

It's almost as if you're watching some sort of first edit of a show, but in this case we're actually seeing the finished product rather than the rough diamond of an idea before its been polished.

Maybe the relay race sketch would have been funnier if, say, ALL of the runners in the final leg were as fat as Corden. Or if the other seven runners ALL dropped their batons. Or if they all had various disabilities but still beat him into last place.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I got the impression that the skinny one fancies him self as a bit of a runner, so self indulgently did a sketch about his favourite sport, like doon mackichan does with swimming with tedious regularity.

it goes

oh its him off of you know
Critically acclaimed comedy out of the blue
blessing of the kingmaker Ross
crap British comedy film
piss poor cash in quick sketch show/stand up/live tour consisting of an 1hr long recital of catchphrases to an audience of idiots at 50 quid a pop

its the way of things.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I got the impression that the skinny one fancies him self as a bit of a runner, so self indulgently did a sketch about his favourite sport, like doon mackichan does with swimming with tedious regularity.

it goes

oh its him off of you know
Critically acclaimed comedy out of the blue
blessing of the kingmaker Ross
crap British comedy film
piss poor cash in quick sketch show/stand up/live tour consisting of an 1hr long recital of catchphrases to an audience of idiots at 50 quid a pop

its the way of things.

That is becoming the routine. I think Mitchell and Webb have strayed precariously close to this formula, but luckily Peep Show is quality and that's what they should stick to.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I had the misfortune of seeing the rerun of Horne and Corden last night. Saw the postings on NSC and thought that I should judge for myself. Should have believed NSC, I will never get that 15' (all I could bear) of my life back.

Re: big train. Thought that was done by the Father Ted writers, thought Simon Pegg only acted in it. Never seems to be repeated on any of the free channels, thought the "Staring Competition" was a classic. Never see "The Good Guys" (spoof "fly on the wall" about an inept Police team) repeated either - watch that and see where Ricky Gervais got his ideas from.

Operation good guys was f***ing genius it is baffling how that never got the acclaim it deserved. and f***ing Ray Burdis helped write it. I suppose it is the chimps/typewriters/shakespeare theory proved right.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
I wasn't impressed.

The spiderman/superman sketch was horrendously bad. It was too long which meant you were waiting for something special.

I watched in the hope it would get better, but it didn't

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here