Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hooray for "King" Kenny

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Forget money, it doesn't seem to mean anything anymore in football. Downing is a good player.

I think for the first time in a long time I'll want Liverpool to do well this season. Since Owen left and Houiller / Benitez went there I've wanted them to consistently lose. But I like Adam, and I like Downing, and I like Dalglish, and I'm interested in seeing Carroll develop, and that ponce Torres has gone, so yes, I hope they do well.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I always thought he was useless.

Went to West Ham V Villa, and he was sensational! Very good player infact, just doesn't perform at international level. Much like Lampard, Gerrard, etc.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I always thought he was useless.

Went to West Ham V Villa, and he was sensational! Very good player infact, just doesn't perform at international level. Much like Lampard, Gerrard, etc.
Funny how multi million pound English players don't perform at international level, but do manage to perform for their clubs when surrounded by world class players.

Anyone would think it was because they were made to look better by being surrounded by other good players in their club sides. :whistle:

Funny how multi million pound English players don't perform at international level, but do manage to perform for their clubs when surrounded by world class players.

Anyone would think it was because they were made to look better by being surrounded by other good players in their club sides. :whistle:

...and the fact that they are much better drilled in their club sides as they play week-in-week-out together and spend at least 30 weeks of the year training together?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that, once again, Liverpool have paid over the odds, but the £50m Chelsea Torres fee helps mask this transfer ineptitude.

Man Utd have managed to get the better player - in Ashley Young - for less of a fee. Young is at the top of his game and in all probability a starter for England. Downing, on the other hand, has been warming the England bench for 5 years just grateful no other decent left-sided players have emerged in that time.

These sort of signings might get Liverpool above Spurs next season, but Arsenal would have to have a monumentally disastrous summer in the transfer window for Liverpool to even get a sniff of 4th spot.

I think that, once again, Liverpool have paid over the odds, but the £50m Chelsea Torres fee helps mask this transfer ineptitude.

Agree - they've paid over the odds for all of their summer transfers, but as you say it's mitigated to a degree by the ridiculous fee they received for Torres. Still Kenny has spent a net £50m since coming in, not bad work.

Man Utd have managed to get the better player - in Ashley Young - for less of a fee. Young is at the top of his game and in all probability a starter for England. Downing, on the other hand, has been warming the England bench for 5 years just grateful no other decent left-sided players have emerged in that time.

This is largely down to their contract situation though. Young had one season left on his contract; by January his worth would have been naff all. Downing had two years left, and I'd suggest that if Villa had held on to him his value next summer would have been around £10m, which is a more accurate reflection of his and Young's relative values.

These sort of signings might get Liverpool above Spurs next season, but Arsenal would have to have a monumentally disastrous summer in the transfer window for Liverpool to even get a sniff of 4th spot.

I don't agree; unless Wenger makes some serious moves in the next month or so (very much not his style) they'll probably start this season weaker than last. Liverpool have clearly strengthened, and have concentrated their recruitment in areas they were weak last year. I think Kenny's got a decent chance of competing for 4th spot; in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Arsenal finished as low as 6th next season (if Spurs can keep hold of Modric).

Mar 13, 2008
Downing at £20million? Really? What a waste. No wonder why others (arsenal etc...) go abroad. You could get a player three times better than downing (gervinho, amongst other) for less.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Downing at £20million? Really? What a waste. No wonder why others (arsenal etc...) go abroad. You could get a player three times better than downing (gervinho, amongst other) for less.

yes but like others have said there are rules now so this cant happen all the time

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Paying well over the odds for an England reserve team is not going to get you very far. Fact.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

and how much was Caroll? It's a joke.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Scoles (and someone else?) has commented on this. he reckon it was due to pressure and fear/anxiety of not performing well enough. only the ManU players would go out with the attitude that they were the best and could beat anyone, others shied away. has to be said, Scholes, Neville and Beckham were always stong performers, along with the likes of Sheringham, Shearer, Owen (of Liverpool era); Adams and Keown, though old cart horses, were strong in the mind; Gerrard until recently (i think he try too much); Cole is slated for his ego but is one of the most consistantly good performers for England. recent players who've done well are young confident players like Micah Richards, Adam Johson, Wilshire who just grab the game and play well for first game or two then the attention seems to get to them. too many player try to move the ball on too quickly, and always looking for the killer or hollywood pass, rather than keeping it simple and controled. so shit teams are made to look good against us, when if the same players met at Anfield, Stamford bridge, Old Trafford with a normal crowd, they run rings around them individually.

on this note, and to drag us back, i see it as positive for England that Dalglish is pulling together English players and hopefully giving them some of that same attitude that Liverpool had 20 years ago and ManU since, that they the best and can beat anyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here