Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hooray for "King" Kenny

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
A player who's in the england squad at the peak of his game with probably the best left foot cross in the premiership? 20m isnt bad I say. Downing isn't the shit player he was, he's a pretty rare thing in fact. He'll be perfect for Carroll too.
Henderson is the odd one for me but if he's being groomed as the replacement for Gerrard maybe he's worth it. We'll wait and see.
If Liverpool get into the CL or possibly threaten to win something 20 mill will be quickly forgotten.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Downing did used to be very poor but he has improved enormously and was a different player last season.

Coleman88

May 30, 2008
Blackpool
To be fair I think this is a good signing, overpriced definitely, but I think he'll form a very good partnership with Carroll next season and I can see Liverpool challenging to get back into that top 4.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
So our stadium is worth five Stewart Downing's? Personally I'd rather have the stadium.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
Over the last 3 years, the only two players in the Premier League who have completed more crosses than Downing are, Leighton Baines (best crosser in the Premier League by far) and Nani. Two players who would be completely unattainable for Liverpool. Now given the fact that Andy Carroll is the target in the middle, I think it makes sense to have someone who can cross the ball effectively.

astevens76

Jan 22, 2010
Bristol
Downing can cross a ball (even if he can't seem to run it past the fullback) and Andy Carroll has a knack of scoring goals with his head/knocking it down for someone else to score(Gerrard, Suarez..).
Could turn out to be £20mil well spent for Liverpool

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Had a very good season last time out, improved massively from before. £20m is an uncomfortable amount of money for them to be spending on a player like Downing but I think he'll do ok. There are probably better options at a smaller price mind you.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Two words.

Glenn Murray.

And Poyet (who can do no wrong) didn't think he was worth keeping hold of.

Not sure what this has to do with anything. I would certainly never have described Murray as "very poor" during his time with us. I remember in the Cup game against us that Downing did not look out of place against lg 1 opposition. He has come on a lot since then.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
To be fair I think this is a good signing, overpriced definitely, but I think he'll form a very good partnership with Carroll next season and I can see Liverpool challenging to get back into that top 4.

If they can add a couple of decent defenders, i would expect them to break in to the top 4 again

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I remember Dalglish first time round at Liverpool, and at Blackburn. he spent an absolute fortune and won titles. He is a very good manager, especially in his own back yard (Liverpool not Celtic) and I would, if I were a betting man, stick a wedge on Liverpool being top four this season. KD is quality when he is managing his club.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
From Opta:

‎Since Aug 2004, only 4 players (Lampard, Fabregas, Gerrard & Giggs) have created more PL chances than Stewart Downing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
Hard to pick liverpools starting midfield now though. Gerrard downing kuyt Adams Cole Henderson that Portuguese lad and the young brazilian and spearing who played pretty well at the end of last season.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Our player of the season in the one just past and a big reason we were able to stay up. From a guy who not to long ago was banging on about how we would stay at the Villa even IF relegated to go and do this is a slap in the face. Someone who only a few years back we spent 12 million on while having a broken foot! Money talks and in this case its more ways than one. One for Downings pay increase but the fact that it seems Randy was behind this deal. One of the first things AM said after signing for Villa was Downing WOULD not for ANY price be let go this season. Now all the sudden he is gone?

3 summers in a row and 4 of our best have walked out the door. Doing my head in! With this now N zogbia will join us for an inflated price and Albrighton will be on the the wing as well. Going to be an interesting season needless to say

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here