Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hooray for "King" Kenny

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's seen fit to spunk £20m on Stewart Downing.

What a frightfully crap player to bring in, for that sort of money. Oh sorry, he's English - that explains it.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Funny how differently people see players.

I think Downing will be BLOODY EXCELLENT for them.

He is actually VERY quick and is brilliant at crosses.

Downing -> floated cross -> Carroll -> GOAL.

Simple, yet effective.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's nailed on you could find someone as good as Downing in somewhere like Croatia for about £1million, if you could be bothered to scout them.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
How much would Dalglish pay for a top-notch young ENGLISH player, say Luke Wilshire?

100 million?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Funny how differently people see players.

I think Downing will be BLOODY EXCELLENT for them.

He is actually VERY quick and is brilliant at crosses.

Downing -> floated cross -> Carroll -> GOAL.

Simple, yet effective.
You see, I don't think he's very quick at all. And he is only "brilliant at crosses" by English standards. When he plays for the national team he is every bit as inept at crossing as Shaun Wright Phillips.

If he had been Belgian, he'd have cost FOUR million.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Oh sorry, he's English - that explains it.

you jest, but clubs have to have so many home grown players, so English players will get an additional premium now.

he's not too bad, and good value compared to Henderson as said. though that rather highlights how overpriced he was...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
you jest, but clubs have to have so many home grown players, so English players will get an additional premium now.

he's not too bad, and good value compared to Henderson as said. though that rather highlights how overpriced he was...

You are, of course, correct on this one. The home grown allocation is indeed the reason for this ridiculous premium on his Englishness. Henderson was a dreadful purchase whereas Downing is just wildly overrated. Neither would get into a side with Champions League ambitions IMO.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
i personally think henderson, with the right coaching, can come good, problem with sunderland last year, is that they went on a dreadfull run during the crimbo period and stuff

on another note, heard liverpool are trying to get Leon Knight, theyr gonna offer triple the £5k and offer him £30,000 a week

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
i personally think henderson, with the right coaching, can come good,

You only highlight the point we are treying to make. Liverpool have spent MANY MILLIONS of POUNDS on a player, who MIGHT come good.

For the money they've paid, you'd want the finished article.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here