Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic abuse - have you ever made an official complaint?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Further to uncle s's thread about west ham it got me thinking. Every other week there's a thread saying how it's unacceptable. Has been for years.

But has anyone actually ever made a formal complaint to a club and or police / an authority like the FA? And if so, what was the actual response, if any?

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
A good point. I wonder if there is any gay football supporters groups?

Fur Cough

An offical complaint would only serve to show the tauntng/chanting got to us.

I am not Homosexual so the chants/taunts really dont bother me, I'm not 10.

Even if I was I really don't think they would.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
I accept that I live in a city that has a large gay population so would expect nothing less. I do however enjoy singing '1-0 to the Nancy boys'. It may be wrong in this day and age but what can one do?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Seeing as we are the only club to face this sort of chanting, it would be interesting to hear from gay fans of other teams about how they feel standing amongst fans that chant in this way.

The kick it out campaign is clearly dead in the water until a player comes out as being gay and the place erupts.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Seeing as we are the only club to face this sort of chanting, it would be interesting to hear from gay fans of other teams about how they feel standing amongst fans that chant in this way.

The kick it out campaign is clearly dead in the water until a player comes out as being gay and the place erupts.

Manchester City and Watford get homophobic chanting as well. A couple of Spurs supporters were convicted in court of indecent chanting against Sol Campbell two years ago but that was aimed at a player not a club.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A good point. I wonder if there is any gay football supporters groups?

Should only gay people be offended then?

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I don't think I'd ever make an official complaint unless I got attacked outside the ground for it. Inside the ground it's just banter (as far as I'M concerned).
And like nomoremithras4me, I enjoy singing "1 nil to the Nancy boys" and "We're gay and we're beating you", etc.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Getting awAy from my question people: so basically no one has been THAT offended to do anything about it. Interesting...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
But has anyone actually ever made a formal complaint to a club and or police / an authority like the FA? And if so, what was the actual response, if any?

"Suck it and see."

Not very helpful advice, if I'm being honest.

Thinker

Apr 12, 2011
Further to uncle s's thread about west ham it got me thinking. Every other week there's a thread saying how it's unacceptable. Has been for years.

Yes-and the police have said to contact their football liason officer...they have said that the club HAVE to act on any homophobia-if they dont then they are in breach of licenses.so they have said that people should INDIVIDUALLY put complaints in,either at the game or more usefully,direct to the liason officer at john street brighton. The police have said that the club will have to improve on such issues as it deals with the bigger clubs and that what might have been deemed ok before wont be tolerated.the police cannot act on the hate crime-which it is-please lets not get into the banal diatribe that usually passes for comment that its all banter,mate-its not-the reason why lgbt are still killing themselves,are still being tied to lamp-posts and set alight to burn to death as has just happened is because good people stand by and do nothing about homophobia.its about time people started to work out if they are part of the solution or part of the problem.it really is that simple.it is wrong-it IS hatred.
The police are waiting for complaints.there will be footage on cctv.they can go after people now and it needs to happen.anyone that thinks it shouldnt should really try and be queer for a day and go to a football match.i speak as someone who had to sit and listen to homophobia,mysogyny and racism spouted game after game at withdean-and when i spoke out,i was assaulted by a fellow brighton fan.the club had done nothing,in spite of complaints by many-when the assault was reported to the club,they had somehow no cctv suddenly-but the police handled it well afterwards and the guy was dealt with.
So...dont expect anything from the club.
I am really glad that others are starting to speak out about this-too often there has been ridicule on this site and as i have said before...its not okay-hatred in any form is just not ok-and certainly not in a place like brighton where the very essence of the towns being has been to embrace and welcome difference.
Please-homophobes dont reply.i kind of get the feeling that you will now be banned from here now if you chuck the usual at this thread- really,do it at your peril.

Last edited:

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I'd rather be called gay than a pikey - and that's coming from a Palace fan.

I don't see a huge problem with it myself, if the city of Brighton and Hove wasn't celebrated for it's homosexuality then there would never be any chants.

If you get offended, then it's probably because you're a bit limp wristed.

Magicman

Jul 19, 2011
Elm Grove
What a shower of shit these threads are becoming ! Its banter nothing more , nothing less .
Lets make a complaint to the powers that be and become the laughing stock of the football world !
Any personal "attacks" ( outside the ground ) need to be addressed at the time , not bleated about on here 3 days later .
If the chants offend you that much then don't go , cos they aint gonna stop ?
If we go down the road of sanitizing football completely then NSC and all other football related media will become very sterile and boring .
We need to stand as one when the banter begins and give it back 3 fold .
Rant over .

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
What a shower of shit these threads are becoming ! Its banter nothing more , nothing less .
Lets make a complaint to the powers that be and become the laughing stock of the football world !
Any personal "attacks" ( outside the ground ) need to be addressed at the time , not bleated about on here 3 days later .
If the chants offend you that much then don't go , cos they aint gonna stop ?
If we go down the road of sanitizing football completely then NSC and all other football related media will become very sterile and boring .
We need to stand as one when the banter begins and give it back 3 fold .
Rant over .

Spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here