Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic abuse - have you ever made an official complaint?

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
While none of the homophobic banter that is chanted at us bothers me, what does bother me is that the integrity of our supporters is investigated when 1 person who was not present at the game puts a complaint in about something he thinks he heard & it is investigated.

(a) is it only investigated when the allegation is to a player

(b) how can an allegation be made by somebody who was not there

(c) what's the difference between geographical banter & racism

(d) how do I go about making a complaint

(e) if a complaint is overturned should the accuser appolagise

westy1983

Feb 28, 2005
Hove
I think the banter from away fans is mostly meant in jest but stems from a lack of eductation and/or tolerance. I don't think it sounds much better when we sing back equally stereotypical if slightly less homophobic chants e.g. you're to ugly to be gay. It all perpetuates the sterotype.

I do think most people see it as harmless fun, wrongly, but more education around this subject would definately help, especially if the chants arise though lack of tolerance and acceptance.

I'll never forget the image of some older slightly rotund fan chanting back you're to ugly to be gay. The irony did make me laugh.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Make no mistake this was not " banter ". Unless you call a group of West Ham fans by your side shouting very aggressively and threateningly " f*** off home to stick your c*ck up your boyfriends a*se you f***ing f*ggots " friendly banter. I DO NOT and am offended. Whether I am hetero or gay is neither hear nor there. Also elderly couples and kids were walking along as well. So to the people who say " man up " or " they are embarrassed " well I am embarrassed, embarrassed our fans do not make a stand against this filth. I am no prude , far from it, but this abuse, week in, week out has over stepped the mark. Clearly the club do not care but in this day and age how is this hate crime aloud to continue unchallenged ?. Its a pretty f***ed up society we live in.

Jan 30, 2008
Make no mistake this was not " banter ". Unless you call a group of West Ham fans by your side shouting very aggressively and threateningly " f*** off home to stick your c*ck up your boyfriends a*se you f***ing f*ggots " friendly banter. I DO NOT and am offended. Whether I am hetero or gay is neither hear nor there. Also elderly couples and kids were walking along as well. So to the people who say " man up " or " they are embarrassed " well I am embarrassed, embarrassed our fans do not make a stand against this filth. I am no prude , far from it, but this abuse, week in, week out has over stepped the mark. Clearly the club do not care but in this day and age how is this hate crime aloud to continue unchallenged ?. Its a pretty f***ed up society we live in.
this post's a bit f***ed up to say the least, you haven't told us where this happened ?

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
Don't go on the kumb uncle your getting a bit of stick lol.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It was outside the East stand walking home. Don't worry 2 West Hams have posted to say " lighten up it's only banter " so thats alright then.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
i'm sure you do !

Hmm, in light of other threads reading through this one, das reich, are you saying gay fans bring abuse upon themselves just because theyre gay? Certainly reads like this to me reading through your replies to Thinker. But you've stop short of saying this probably because you're a bit of a snivelling coward and know you're sailing close to the wind. Please tell NSC what you meant please because seems you're a cracking example of what this issue is all about. Faceless and gutless out of date bigots who football wants rid of.

Jan 30, 2008
Hmm, in light of other threads reading through this one, das reich, are you saying gay fans bring abuse upon themselves just because theyre gay? Certainly reads like this to me reading through your replies to Thinker. But you've stop short of saying this probably because you're a bit of a snivelling coward and know you're sailing close to the wind. Please tell NSC what you meant please because seems you're a cracking example of what this issue is all about. Faceless and gutless out of date bigots who football wants rid of.
what ever.

Thinker

Apr 12, 2011
I didnt get what he was saying at first because i couldnt believe he was being so crass-then was exactly my point,thanks portlock...i just wanted to see if he was brave enough to stand up and bully...obviously not.exactly sums up why reasonable supporters need to sort out homophobia at football.it wont take much-homophobes are cowards,as are all who inflict hatred on others.
Mind you...the name kind of gives it away...

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant
There was an article about homophobic abuse in football, and, I think, at the Albion in particular, on south-east today, last night. Unfortunately I only caught the very end of it so missed the jist of it. They were specifically referring to opposing fans singing "Does your boyfriend know you're here" and "We can see you holding hands", because. They actually printed those quotes on the screen.
Did anyone see the whole article and can put the details on here please?

Jan 30, 2008
I didnt get what he was saying at first because i couldnt believe he was being so crass-then was exactly my point,thanks portlock...i just wanted to see if he was brave enough to stand up and bully...obviously not.exactly sums up why reasonable supporters need to sort out homophobia at football.it wont take much-homophobes are cowards,as are all who inflict hatred on others.
Mind you...the name kind of gives it away...
you had a hard time of it in the past?, i wouldn't worry your little cotton socks about my views I'VE GOT A HEART OF GOLD :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here