Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobic abuse - have you ever made an official complaint?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A different topic but I have reported a supporter for repeated racist remarks. The club dealt with it very well and very professionally. This was a few years ago at Withers.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Nope - whilst it's not right I'm certain every club have to put up with something that's not right - Sheep Shaggers anyone

plus I'm not going to get offended for someone else.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
What a shower of shit these threads are becoming ! Its banter nothing more , nothing less .
Lets make a complaint to the powers that be and become the laughing stock of the football world !
Any personal "attacks" ( outside the ground ) need to be addressed at the time , not bleated about on here 3 days later .
If the chants offend you that much then don't go , cos they aint gonna stop ?
If we go down the road of sanitizing football completely then NSC and all other football related media will become very sterile and boring .
We need to stand as one when the banter begins and give it back 3 fold .
Rant over .

This

Last edited:

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
I have no problem with it, if you don't like it, don't go. You didn't before.

It is not racism just stereotypical banter - Brighton's the gay capital of England, how is this not expected?

Deal with it and sing something back!

Sussex

MDAL
Apr 14, 2011
What a shower of shit these threads are becoming ! Its banter nothing more , nothing less .
Lets make a complaint to the powers that be and become the laughing stock of the football world !
Any personal "attacks" ( outside the ground ) need to be addressed at the time , not bleated about on here 3 days later .
If the chants offend you that much then don't go , cos they aint gonna stop ?
If we go down the road of sanitizing football completely then NSC and all other football related media will become very sterile and boring .
We need to stand as one when the banter begins and give it back 3 fold .
Rant over .

Totaly agree with this post some of the poster's on here need to Man Up (no pun intended ) and get a life...!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Help the Human Race

It sort of came into my head .....

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I'm not really bothered by the does your boyfirend know you're here type chants.
It's the the more personal stuff that I think needs reporting. A few years back i was at an away game and just as we were getting to the ground one of the home supporters came over and shouted ar us that we were f***ing poof ***** who deserved to be shot amongst other pleasantries, while his mates looked on and laughed. Now he was very aggressive, red faced and spitting. My friends young lad was obviously shaken up by it so he went to complain to the police who were near us and had seen the whole thing. They weren't interested, they told us to get into the ground and then it wouldnt be an issue, and basically treated us as the problem.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Clockwork

I'm not really bothered by the does your boyfirend know you're here type chants.
It's the the more personal stuff that I think needs reporting. A few years back i was at an away game and just as we were getting to the ground one of the home supporters came over and shouted ar us that we were f***ing poof ***** who deserved to be shot amongst other pleasantries, while his mates looked on and laughed. Now he was very aggressive, red faced and spitting. My friends young lad was obviously shaken up by it so he went to complain to the police who were near us and had seen the whole thing. They weren't interested, they told us to get into the ground and then it wouldnt be an issue, and basically treated us as the problem.

Breach of the Peace is not a crime. The Police could ask the supporter to refrain from making insults. If you threaten the twat, you are liable to get arrested yourself.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

I think that's the correct way to view it, the chants (which are largely dull and predictable) and then the other stuff, which is more sinister.

For what it's worth, at the Liverpool game I saw some police wade into a group of scallies at Brighton station and tell them that if they didn't stop the anti-gay songs, they'd be going nowhere. It was surprising, only for its novelty. And they stopped immediately.

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
It wasn't that long ago that monkey noises were considered light hearted banter when ever a coloured player touched the ball, do we still think that?

If you saw the hatred in the faces of the Palace and Hammers fans when they were singing homophobic songs outside the ground you would not have classed it as a bit of banter.

Gay people (and I'm not)have the same rights as everyone else and should be allowed to go about their lives without having to put up with this shit. homophobic chanting encourages hatred of people because of their sexuality, it is as wrong as racist chanting and should be dealt with in the same way.

Thinker

Apr 12, 2011
It wasn't that long ago that monkey noises were considered light hearted banter when ever a coloured player touched the ball, do we still think that?

If you saw the hatred in the faces of the Palace and Hammers fans when they were singing homophobic songs outside the ground you would not have classed it as a bit of banter.

Gay people (and I'm not)have the same rights as everyone else and should be allowed to go about their lives without having to put up with this shit. homophobic chanting encourages hatred of people because of their sexuality, it is as wrong as racist chanting and should be dealt with in the same
way.

Oh yay!thank goodness for reason....thankyou-i really mean that.

Thinker

Apr 12, 2011

If you saw the hatred in the faces of the Palace and Hammers fans when they were singing homophobic songs outside the ground you would not have classed it as a bit of banter

Gay people (and I'm not)have the same rights as everyone else and should be allowed to go about their lives without having to put up with this shit. homophobic chanting encourages hatred of people because of their sexuality, it is as wrong as racist chanting and should be dealt with in the same way.[/QUOTE

Absolutely...Is crap when you cant go to football without your own fans abusing you as on here,let alone opposing fans..

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I have no problem with it, if you don't like it, don't go. You didn't before.

It is not racism just stereotypical banter - Brighton's the gay capital of England, how is this not expected?

Deal with it and sing something back!

Er, wrong thread. Stick to the question and rant somewhere else. As I said, plenty of other threads where you can rant away on this subject.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Doubt the 'boyfriend' thing barely even registers with 99% of Albion fans anymore than the 'pikey' thing registers with 99% of Palace fans. Both stereotypes are equally gormless.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Is your view the same on racial chanting then?

Racial chanting is something thats not acceptable and I agree with that but then again racial chanting is something that as a whole has been directed at an individual (ie a player) as opposed to general banter between fans. If that makes sense.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

This. Millwall away a few years ago somebody got right in my grill and started shouting this friggin super weird but massively unpleasant abuse involving aids, kids, something about immigrants and something really obscure involving women from Africa (if my memory serves me correctly), really nasty but also really twisted and graphic... i remember thinking 'this dude has some weird thoughts going round his noggin... i think you need some help for your head mate'

Jan 30, 2008
Yes-and the police have said to contact their football liason officer...they have said that the club HAVE to act on any homophobia-if they dont then they are in breach of licenses.so they have said that people should INDIVIDUALLY put complaints in,either at the game or more usefully,direct to the liason officer at john street brighton. The police have said that the club will have to improve on such issues as it deals with the bigger clubs and that what might have been deemed ok before wont be tolerated.the police cannot act on the hate crime-which it is-please lets not get into the banal diatribe that usually passes for comment that its all banter,mate-its not-the reason why lgbt are still killing themselves,are still being tied to lamp-posts and set alight to burn to death as has just happened is because good people stand by and do nothing about homophobia.its about time people started to work out if they are part of the solution or part of the problem.it really is that simple.it is wrong-it IS hatred.
The police are waiting for complaints.there will be footage on cctv.they can go after people now and it needs to happen.anyone that thinks it shouldnt should really try and be queer for a day and go to a football match.i speak as someone who had to sit and listen to homophobia,mysogyny and racism spouted game after game at withdean-and when i spoke out,i was assaulted by a fellow brighton fan.the club had done nothing,in spite of complaints by many-when the assault was reported to the club,they had somehow no cctv suddenly-but the police handled it well afterwards and the guy was dealt with.
So...dont expect anything from the club.
I am really glad that others are starting to speak out about this-too often there has been ridicule on this site and as i have said before...its not okay-hatred in any form is just not ok-and certainly not in a place like brighton where the very essence of the towns being has been to embrace and welcome difference.
Please-homophobes dont reply.i kind of get the feeling that you will now be banned from here now if you chuck the usual at this thread- really,do it at your peril.
some times things happen which provokes this type of behaviour ?

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
While i hate it a think its cringe worthy, i just see making complaints as being as low as them in a way and it shows they have got to us, just ignore it.

The racial abuse is different imo, as alot of that steams from hatred and its just vile and nasty, while the homophobic abuse is also vile and nasty its not done in a sense of being malicious i dont think its banter at a fooball match nothing more, calling say a player a racist remark is not in the same ball game as some chanting that is not actually meant to be nasty, well i dont take it as being nasty anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here