Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia-The perspective of a gay fan

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
What's 'many' Dougal?

Well within all my previous work places, friends etc , if one thing that blokes seem to get offended at is when their sexuality is questioned.

Most people I know will not go out their way to go against Gays etc as they are part of the world we now live in but I dont know many people that seem to like them although I guess alot of the more in ya face types probably do the Gay community no favours

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
Well within all my previous work places, friends etc , if one thing that blokes seem to get offended at is when their sexuality is questioned.

Most people I know will not go out their way to go against Gays etc as they are part of the world we now live in but I dont know many people that seem to like them although I guess alot of the more in ya face types probably do the Gay community no favours

I don't have anything against straight people as long as they keep themselves to themselves........ :lol:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
You actually got the point. And in suggesting that some of what observers call homophobia isn't, I am trying to focus people on what is real hatred.

Thanks! It was a bit deep and meaningful for me on a Sunday (the roast is in the oven and I've sat down for a 10 minute rest before I put the veg in) :lol:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Why is it just men then who seem to suffer from this homophobia / or homophobic fears more than women? Is the primal urge to be alpha male that strong still?

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
So what are your thoughts on the normal 'we can see you holding hands' and 'does your boyfriend know you're here' etc etc chants, do they offend you, at all?

Well, when they shouted 'Does you boyfriend know your here' my immediate thought was 'Yes, he does but I don't know why you feel the need to enquire'. As for 'We can see you holding hands' Well perhaps the observing individuals need to wear glasses!

In other words-it's all banter and it doesn't bother me. I think a man who is sure of his sexuality or not offended by homosexuality would either laugh, yawn, or give a witty response like many Albion fans have splendidly done.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The thing is, while most of us understand the 'holding hands' and 'does your boyfriend know'-type chants aren't really homophobic abuse, there is an assumption when people complain about homophobic abuse at brighton games they are talking about these chants.

Uncle Spielberg started a thread where he specifically mentioned a small group of opposition fans using graphic, hateful words, and many people in the thread still seemed to think he was talking about the cliche chants.

There were reports of two southampton fans being arrested for homophobic abuse and the reaction wasn't "I wonder what they said" it was "They were all singing, why were those two arrested? Why was anyone arrested, nothing wrong with those songs".

It's very easy to get caught up in the songs and ignore that some times, fans will hurl abuse as individuals, too, and most fans won't notice this. Let's not make people feel they can't report these genuine cases, because the rest of us will dismiss their complaints.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
Why is it just men then who seem to suffer from this homophobia / or homophobic fears more than women? Is the primal urge to be alpha male that strong still?

Probably, but that would be another philosophical essay that would send your pending roast cold- and I need to get over the kebab shop- no such home made culinarys for us two boys tonight. Now who's reversing the stereo-type? :lol:

At Millwall I tried to get a chant going back to the inevitable "Does Your Boyfriend Know Your Here?" along the lines of "He's At Home Screwing Your Dad" - but it didn't take off.

Being our resident gay fan, Foster House, was that acceptable ?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Well, when they shouted 'Does you boyfriend know your here' my immediate thought was 'Yes, he does but I don't know why you feel the need to enquire'.

That's not going to work as a chant. Far too long.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
The thing is, while most of us understand the 'holding hands' and 'does your boyfriend know'-type chants aren't really homophobic abuse, there is an assumption when people complain about homophobic abuse at brighton games they are talking about these chants.

Uncle Spielberg started a thread where he specifically mentioned a small group of opposition fans using graphic, hateful words, and many people in the thread still seemed to think he was talking about the cliche chants.

There were reports of two southampton fans being arrested for homophobic abuse and the reaction wasn't "I wonder what they said" it was "They were all singing, why were those two arrested? Why was anyone arrested, nothing wrong with those songs".

It's very easy to get caught up in the songs and ignore that some times, fans will hurl abuse as individuals, too, and most fans won't notice this. Let's not make people feel they can't report these genuine cases, because the rest of us will dismiss their complaints.

A good point, the very reason why Im trying seperate the wheat from the chaff in this debate-so REAL hatred is reported unlike some of what has been.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
At Millwall I tried to get a chant going back to the inevitable "Does Your Boyfriend Know Your Here?" along the lines of "He's At Home Screwing Your Dad" - but it didn't take off.

It's fine, can't feel any hatred in that. If you really wanted to put the fear of god into some of them just shout 'He's behind you....'

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
i would imagine whats probably more offensive then tribalistic banter is the sports governing body giving the 2022 world cup to a country where homosexuality is illegal

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
I've lived in Southend for nearly 12 years now and just the mere mention of me coming from Brighton or supporting Brighton and hove Albion I get the gay comments. Never spiteful but often cliched and ignorant. I've got used to it now and camp it up hugely. Even though I'm married with two children some people still wonder about me. "even though I know he's married, he's from Brighton, and he camps it up. Why would he do that if he wasn't gay?" It astounds me sometimes that some people i've met genuinely think that most people in Brighton are gay, personally I don't mind the gay chants from opposition fans as I see it as banter, just camp it up a bit and throw it back in their faces. But as seen on here and on the terraces there are alot of opposition fans with a small-town ignorant mentality, and these are the ones that we have to watch and stamp out.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

That is a bit sweeping to say the least, I would expect given the dynamics of the area of Brighton quite a few fans that post on here might be gay.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That is a bit sweeping to say the least, I would expect given the dynamics of the area of Brighton quite a few fans that post on here might be gay.

I can think of at least three other regular posters who are openly so.

And I really can't see why some posters on here can't tell the difference between regular football chants (albeit tedious ones) and downright nasty things. It's hardly rocket science.

Here's a conundrum for the troglodytes: would you rather sit next to a gay Albion fan or a straight Palace one? :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here