Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia-The perspective of a gay fan

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The thing is, while most of us understand the 'holding hands' and 'does your boyfriend know'-type chants aren't really homophobic abuse, there is an assumption when people complain about homophobic abuse at brighton games they are talking about these chants.

Uncle Spielberg started a thread where he specifically mentioned a small group of opposition fans using graphic, hateful words, and many people in the thread still seemed to think he was talking about the cliche chants.

There were reports of two southampton fans being arrested for homophobic abuse and the reaction wasn't "I wonder what they said" it was "They were all singing, why were those two arrested? Why was anyone arrested, nothing wrong with those songs".

It's very easy to get caught up in the songs and ignore that some times, fans will hurl abuse as individuals, too, and most fans won't notice this. Let's not make people feel they can't report these genuine cases, because the rest of us will dismiss their complaints.

And on it goes. Yes I started the thread after the West Ham game when I and several other Brighton fans were treated to " your off home to stick you cocks up your boyfriends arses you faggots " and other such comments with a very aggressive overtone. Now can Fosters House tell me if he would like that ?. I WAS NOT and never was referring to the " does your Boyfriend know your here " type chant as it is at best just incredibly tiresome and boring now. The hatred has been ratcheted up , to an unacceptable level and this started to happen some time ago and will start spilling into violence soon, if it has not already done so. BHAFC have done absolute sod all about it at their home ground so you can't expect the away clubs to be bothered.

The response of " you must be a closet gay or worried about your sexuality " is just lame and lazy. I personally do not think it right BHAFC fans or anyone else should have to see opposing fans mimicking giving blow jobs for an entire game and I would think this if I were Hetero, Gay, Bi Sexual or like to shag animals. Why should parents with kids be subjected to this ?. What I am surprised about is the amount of people who think it is fine.

Anyway the topic has been done to death and basically the square root of f*** all will be done about it. So the people who like this abuse can carry on enjoying it.

Oct 6, 2010
Ok another homo fan here.... 'homophobic' chanting at football I don't find offensive. None of them know me or know I'm gay, it's not personal. It's banter imo.
If on the other hand we are outside of a football match, and somebody who knows I am that way inclined, then decides to make such comments directly at me, I would be offended, and would no doubt throw my handbag down in anger. ;)
That's just how I see it.
Mostly when I hear the gay chants from opposition fans I tend to empathise with those within that crowd that are gay. Can't be comfortable.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
And on it goes. Yes I started the thread after the West Ham game when I and several other Brighton fans were treated to " your off home to stick you cocks up your boyfriends arses you faggots " and other such comments with a very aggressive overtone. Now can Fosters House tell me if he would like that ?. I WAS NOT and never was referring to the " does your Boyfriend know your here " type chant as it is at best just incredibly tiresome and boring now. The hatred has been ratcheted up , to an unacceptable level and this started to happen some time ago and will start spilling into violence soon, if it has not already done so. BHAFC have done absolute sod all about it at their home ground so you can't expect the away clubs to be bothered.

The response of " you must be a closet gay or worried about your sexuality " is just lame and lazy. I personally do not think it right BHAFC fans or anyone else should have to see opposing fans mimicking giving blow jobs for an entire game and I would think this if I were Hetero, Gay, Bi Sexual or like to shag animals. Why should parents with kids be subjected to this ?. What I am surprised about is the amount of people who think it is fine.

Anyway the topic has been done to death and basically the square root of f*** all will be done about it. So the people who like this abuse can carry on enjoying it.

I make reference to the word 'faggot' in the original post. Also the people you refer to here are probably homophobic and various other isms which are often attached. In response to the question you posed, I wouldn't be just upset-I would actually be quite frightened for my safety.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex
“People have been told for 400 years since slavery that black people aren’t as intelligent as white.

“White players always said to me: ‘You can call me ‘a white so and so’, I don’t mind’. But that’s because society has indoctrinated us over the past 400 years to think that that’s like saying ‘you handsome so and so’. That’s why white players aren’t offended. They’re empowered. Black people aren’t empowered; 99 per cent of black individuals would be offended being called ‘a black so and so’ because we’ve had 400 years of being dehumanised.

Former Liverpool star John Barnes says society is to blame for racism problem that football just can't shift - Telegraph

Thanks toAcker79 for what I feel is an important quote, and facilitates understanding concerning questions about minority celebrations and there relationship with the 'white' population at large.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I'll be glad when the gay jibes are banned altogether simply because they're so f***ing predictable and tedious.

This. It's a lot clearer too to those who eventually cross the line with stronger stuff. Just ban it and everyone knows they may be ejected/prosecuted.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
as an openly gay albion fan-there are a few, as indeed there are in all clubs, i have finally felt the need to wade into this 'homophobia' debate as some responses on here are spot on and others ignorant and at worst homophobic themselves.

I have experienced homophobia. I have attended many albion football matches. The previous two sentences are rarely linked though. I have not really experienced any homophobia at albion games from the opposition supporters.

Let me define what i regard as 'homophobia' and give it perspective. The very word is a bad interpretation of the greek that forms it, as indeed is many of the new words the tabloids have entered into the common language. This makes it an abused catch all phrase which i will try to bring an understanding to by raising what is relevant in terms of what should be allowed in a civil society and what shouldn't.

Homophobia is hatred, it is condemnation, it is discrimination and is delivered through attitudes more than words. There are words that have come to spearhead its thrust such as 'faggot' (which is freely used on this forum) and some others which have a nasty historical significance from the days when gay people in this country experienced really homophobic hate (those two words are linked and important to my next paragraph).

When assessing the 'homophobic' chants of opposition fans we should ask which category they fall in. Are they hatred/deeply offensive? ('faggots'. 'hiv,hiv' (portsmouth 1990-very upsetting)) are they an assertion against the alpha males sexual identity? Or are they just annoying? If they fall into the category of the last two questions they are not homophobic.

I salute those albion fans who have responded with their own witty tunes that totally emasculate the oppositions fans ultimate objective which is not to incite hatred (with the occasional exception) but to goad and jest to ferment a tribal atmosphere.

I do not salute those who complain at the drop of the hat in the same way as jason donovan complained about a magazine that suggested he was gay and ended up looking the most foolish as he appeared, if anything, to be the homophobe. (which he wasn't and isn't-like many of those fans).

Please do not dilute hatred against gay people just because you are irritated by a few chants personally and not on behalf of homosexuals. As someone pointed out, when asked if their boyfriend knew they were here a gay person would have just a yes or no response. When called a faggot or a queer, with the historical venom associated with it, a gay person would get very upset.

It was only at fratton park in 1990 that i got really upset.

Lets kick real hatred out of sport, but not make a mockery of this objective by diluting its interpretation.
it was 21 years ago and everone, apart from you, has completely forgotten about it. Let it go

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I make reference to the word 'faggot' in the original post. Also the people you refer to here are probably homophobic and various other isms which are often attached. In response to the question you posed, I wouldn't be just upset-I would actually be quite frightened for my safety.

This is an important difference. Whenever homophobia at matches is discussed the fairly harmless chants of 'Does your boyfriend' and 'We can see you holding hands' gets trotted out with practically everyone saying that it's banter. Hardly anyone disagrees with that but it is a very thin edge of a wedge as most of us know, especially those who went to Millwall last month, that it does get a lot worse. Some fans have had far worse abuse aimed at them outside the ground and travelling to games. Where do you draw the line?

Jan 30, 2008
and on it goes. Yes i started the thread after the west ham game when i and several other brighton fans were treated to " your off home to stick you cocks up your boyfriends arses you faggots " and other such comments with a very aggressive overtone. Now can fosters house tell me if he would like that ?. I was not and never was referring to the " does your boyfriend know your here " type chant as it is at best just incredibly tiresome and boring now. The hatred has been ratcheted up , to an unacceptable level and this started to happen some time ago and will start spilling into violence soon, if it has not already done so. Bhafc have done absolute sod all about it at their home ground so you can't expect the away clubs to be bothered.

The response of " you must be a closet gay or worried about your sexuality " is just lame and lazy. I personally do not think it right bhafc fans or anyone else should have to see opposing fans mimicking giving blow jobs for an entire game and i would think this if i were hetero, gay, bi sexual or like to shag animals. Why should parents with kids be subjected to this ?. What i am surprised about is the amount of people who think it is fine.

it's not a case of enjoying it but ignoring it , that's your biggest downfall

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts

Turn the other cheek you and your pc bores. Be 'the man' and IGNORE IT, Or be a bit witty and say something back. Too many people now with their own hang ups in life using it as an excuse and just jumping on this 'get everyone banned and criminal records' bandwagon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here