Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia and football

Oct 25, 2003
i don't find homophobic chanting directed at me offensive because i'm not gay

maybe if i was gay then i would, but at the end of the day it's just a bunch of idiots shouting stuff at each other

at the end of the day, brighton has something that seperates it from the pack, brighton fans take the piss out of "sheep shaggers" at welsh fans, "inbreds" at norwich etc etc etc

football fans create banter about other teams, its part of life

what i DO get frustrated at is the fact that most other teams think they're being HILARIOUS and original.......they all need some more material "does your boyfriend know you're here?"/"we can see you holding hands" is boring now

Last edited:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Wilko
When I posted a message a very similiar to this about 6 years I was shot down in flames and called a batty Palace fan. And not just by the usual suspects. That kinda shows it progressed a bit

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I acctully find it quite funny when the other sets of fans start chanting gay songs to us, there all trying to be imaginative and original but the chants are all the same!

In return I like playing up to the stereotype and sing the nancyboys song and your to ugly to be gay and I have the PINK and white shirt!

Its only banter and its not aimed at one specific person. Its no worse than when the Brighton fans were calling all the Norwich fans inbread or Tranmere fans pikeys.

When the abuse becomes personal then there is a problem.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hi all,

I am currently writing an article on homphobia in football and in particular on the terraces. I am obviously putting a fair amount of emphasis on Brighton as it gains more homophobic chanting than other clubs. I am in discussions with the Stonewall group on this who are working hard to raise awareness of the issue.

Anyway, I would like some thoughts and quotes from Brighton fans on the issue. Do you find the chanting offensive or not? Should fans be ejected from the ground or not? Is it as bad as racism on the terraces or not?

I would also be keen to chat to any gay fans on this site (PM me if you wish).

Also, are there any confirmed gay footballers? I know the rumours about Le Saux (false), Campbell, Ljundberg etc but are there any openly gay players?

Honest and serious responses please, if you are used in the article then of course I will quote you and you will have your name in black and white :)

What do you hope to achieve by outing 'Gay players' Would it not be better to let people live their lives as they see fit ? Oh no, of course you have to sell your article, if you were really genuine you would let these people live their lives as they see fit but no, I'm sure you think you're doing them a favour. Let me tell you, you're not, enjoy your pay.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
I acctully find it quite funny when the other sets of fans start chanting gay songs to us, there all trying to be imaginative and original but the chants are all the same!

In return I like playing up to the stereotype and sing the nancyboys song and your to ugly to be gay and I have the PINK and white shirt!

Its only banter and its not aimed at one specific person. Its no worse than when the Brighton fans were calling all the Norwich fans inbread or Tranmere fans pikeys.

never has stereotypical arguement been better at a football match when Brighton fans singing "youre too inbred to be gay" to the Norwich fans

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

^^^^^ This.

Football is all about banter and trying to find a weak link, Brighton's is the gay thing. At Palace at the moment is the fact we are in financial trouble. Football fans rise above this in the main.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Difficult one but gay mates of mine get upset because the oppo fans are re-enforcing attitudes that being gay is not alright. It doesn't matter if it's impersonal or not, it's the idea that being gay is bad, something worth mocking and has no place in footie.

Seem to recall that Kevin Bond is gay btw

p.s. Blokes who take hair straighteners in a manbag to footie must be ROCK hard I'd imagine.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
...personally It does'nt bother me that oppo fans chant Gay abuse, its actually funny watching them think that they're the first ones to think of it!

I'm sure that, similarly, welsh fans crumble when they get the sheepshagger chants and that Liverpool fans wilt when they get "sign on" sung at them.

Its all part of the game as far as I'm concerned and I would rather that we had something unique about us such as this rather than being completely bland like Peterborough or Northampton...what singles them out from the pack? sod all.

I sat with the West Ham fans at the Boleyn when we played them in the cup and they started singing (predictably) "does your boyfriend know you're here?" but gave the Albion fans applause when "You're too ugly to be Gay" was instantly chanted back at them.

Long may the banter continue...after all Oscar Wilde famously said of Brighton..

"Piers, Queers and Racketeers" and he should know what he was talking about...and I don't think he was a Palace fan.

I agree with what you are saying, I just wonder why society cringes with awkwardness at the slightest suggestion of the word 'black' but will quite happily accept 40,000 voices singing 'Do you take it up the arse'?

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
It's all about getting in first, hence the 1-0 to the batty boys chant referred to above.

If Palace were to play Brighton tomorrow (have to wait another year at least::() We would be singing something along the lines of "we're skint, but your still shit"

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
What do you hope to achieve by outing 'Gay players' Would it not be better to let people live their lives as they see fit ? Oh no, of course you have to sell your article, if you were really genuine you would let these people live their lives as they see fit but no, I'm sure you think you're doing them a favour. Let me tell you, you're not, enjoy your pay.

Calm down, I am not trying to out any players. I wondered if there were any players that have been open about their sexuality that was all. Blimey.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I agree with what you are saying, I just wonder why society cringes with awkwardness at the slightest suggestion of the word 'black' but will quite happily accept 40,000 voices singing 'Do you take it up the arse'?

To be fair thats probably only happened at Spurs and at the play off final. Maybe at Villa.

Otherwise its about 400...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Difficult one but gay mates of mine get upset because the oppo fans are re-enforcing attitudes that being gay is not alright. It doesn't matter if it's impersonal or not, it's the idea that being gay is bad, something worth mocking and has no place in footie.

Seem to recall that Kevin Bond is gay btw

p.s. Blokes who take hair straighteners in a manbag to footie must be ROCK hard I'd imagine.

As Doris Day said of ROCK Hudson...."He's not quite the ROCK you think he is"

I think the Devil will be skating to work when a sizable section of Football fans stop being homophobic.

I'll bet that there are some very respectable upright blokes among opposition fans, and among our own fans who join in with all sorts of unpleasant chanting about Northerners beating up their wives etc.,who vigourously join in with the Boyfriend stuff when we play them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here