Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homophobia and football

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
As a Brighton fan I do find all the other teams chants about "does you boyfriend know you are hear" etc deeply offensive. I am also fed-up with the idiots who support Brighton who think that it is fun to be camp.

I have a strong dislike of poofs, and do not like to think that those who live in "camptown" are giving all Brighton supporters such a bad name. It is not funny!

Should that not be "Does your boyfriend come in your ear?" :lolol:

Please could we discuss here whther the correct word is POOF plural POOFS, or POOVE, plural POOVES.
Also what is the collective expression for poofs or pooves? In the past I have always used the standard "A LOAD OF" but perhaps contributors to NSC might think of something more apt.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
From my own experience (being an actual gay Brighton fan), I can't say all the "we can see you holding hands" stuff really bothers me at all, and I find it amusing when our fans retort with "you're too ugly to be gay" or stuff like that.

Much better to have fun with it than get all uptight IMO. :smile:

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Football until about 25 years ago was been seen as a working class sport so its not surprising that stereotyping still exists amongst supporters from different clubs. What I find funny about the homophobic chants directed at Brighton fans at away games is that vast majority of the gay community in Brighton & Hove were born elsewhere and came to live in a place where they no longer got picked on for their lifestyle.

Ah but do these Incomers (ooh-matron!!) then adopt Albion as "their" club?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
From my own experience (being an actual gay Brighton fan), I can't say all the "we can see you holding hands" stuff really bothers me at all, and I find it amusing when our fans retort with "you're too ugly to be gay" or stuff like that.

Much better to have fun with it than get all uptight IMO. :smile:

Is the correct answer.

PS You're not the bloke I gave my blue and white scarf to in Windsor before Xmas are you?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
ooops

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Really, how recent? It's been linked with gayness all the time I can remember.

It was as usual the Yanks that landed us with "Gay" as an acceptable term for homosexuality, and of course accidentally (?) blighted the lives of a lot of people whose surnames (check the phone-directory) or christian names were "Gay".

There is a well-recorded case of a Vietnam vet who took such crud from his Army mates on parade and elsewhere, for having the surname Gay that eventually many years later he went into a gay bar in his hometown and shot a number of the occupants, at least a couple died I think.

The process started around 1965 - I seem to remember a sleeve-note on a Traffic album in 1967 about Stevie Winwood getting into his "coming out".

In my youth, in Birmingham, the word "gay" meant "party" ... as in "Are you coming to my gay on Saturday?"

But I think that was very localised. I've never heard it anywhere else.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
At the Bees game at Grifin Park a couple of years ago, the Albion fans kept on about Brentford "going down" (which they did despite beating Brighton 1-0).

THe Bees fans retaliated by "Down on your boyfriend, you're going down on your boyfriend...":clap2:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Jamie

Jun 28, 2008
T'was Keith Waterhouse, surely, who said that "Brighton looks like a town that is helping the police with their enquiries." ? ???

er yes - sorry - also like the one that someone posted that "brighton looks like a tired old tart living by the sea". No so much these days but funny all the same:lolol:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

It was as usual the Yanks that landed us with "Gay" as an acceptable term for homosexuality, and of course accidentally (?) blighted the lives of a lot of people whose surnames (check the phone-directory) or christian names were "Gay".

There is a well-recorded case of a Vietnam vet who took such crud from his Army mates on parade and elsewhere, for having the surname Gay that eventually many years later he went into a gay bar in his hometown and shot a number of the occupants, at least a couple died I think.

The process started around 1965 - I seem to remember a sleeve-note on a Traffic album in 1967 about Stevie Winwood getting into his "coming out".

Err, as interesting as all that is, I was just asking how long Brighton has been linked with homosexuality as TMLS (who's only a couple of years older than me) suggested it is a very recent thing. :smile:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Err, as interesting as all that is, I was just asking how long Brighton has been linked with homosexuality as TMLS (who's only a couple of years older than me) suggested it is a very recent thing. :smile:

My mum grew up in Kemp Town (she is 64) and says that it always had a bit of a reputation but the kemp town village area really built up in the 60/70's. Most hotels would not allow two unmarried people to stay at their establishment, let alone two people of the same sex. Many of the Brighton hotels took a 'blind eye' approach to these rules and many gay couples flocked to the seaside for a dirty weekend.

I guess the more liberal attitude towards sex and sexuality convinced many people to move to the area.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Should that not be "Does your boyfriend come in your ear?" :lolol:

Please could we discuss here whther the correct word is POOF plural POOFS, or POOVE, plural POOVES.
Also what is the collective expression for poofs or pooves? In the past I have always used the standard "A LOAD OF" but perhaps contributors to NSC might think of something more apt.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Great response! This 'issue' is not important, it's just life. You can only be offended if you make an 'issue' out of being different.

For example, if I ran down Western Road naked carrying a placard saying 'I am a non-vegetarian hetrosexual', people would think I was a right weirdo. And rightly so.

Don't make yourself a target, and people will ignore you. If only I could do the same on NSC!:laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here