Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hillsborough do we show support at the next match?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I work in Liverpool and we had 2 mins silence this afternoon. I represented all Albion supporters so job done.

Now we can concentrate on the footie Friday.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
What happened was an abomination, and the authorities whose responsibility it is for public safety and order let the fans down. Anyone who went to matches in those days knows that it could have happened at other matches too. By being a football fan in that era we were stigmatised and relegated in status by the apartheid views that existed from the very top of government and permeated through the police, the media and judicial system.

The overhang from that era is that we are denied the right to stand on terraces. It is a tragic legacy and part of the sanitisation of the game, and an unholy alliance of interests whose motivations are sometimes emotional (such as relatives of the 96), and sometimes financial (the average price of a season ticket at Manchester United is now £703, it was £103 in the year of the Hillsborough tragedy, a rise of 682%, during the same period inflation has been 112%) will prevent it from returning.

The relatives of the 96 lost their loved ones, those of us who love the game have seen it lose it's soul. There are no winners in this, apart from the likes of the Glazers and Rupert Murdoch.

Very true

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Why not chant "at last there's justice"

To the tune of Sir Mix-A-Lot's "I Like Big Butts":

I like to mourn and I cannot lie
other clubs fans can't deny
that when a death occurs
that we're the first
to mark it with a clap
we're delighted
to be fans united
in mawkish displays of grief
1 minute is far too brief
in the papers I want my picture
to be a permanent fixture
some people tried to warn me
but the fake tears I got
make me so mourn-y

Hove Seagull

Feb 18, 2008
Havant

that when a death occurs
that we're the first
to mark it with a clap
we're delighted
to be fans united
but the fake tears I got
make me so mourn-y

Ha ha! very good Sir!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Why not chant "at last there's justice"

But there isn't justice yet. All today has done is confirm what most people already knew. It's a momentous day for the Hillsborough campaign and I wish them all the best in their continued fight. None of us can comprehend what it must be like to go to a game a football only to come home in a wooden box. BUT it has nothing to do with our game on Friday, the fact we are playing the team who ground was involved in said incident is neither here nor there.

Spadge

Sep 21, 2011
I am going to sit quietly in my seat before the game, take a little look around our fantastic all seater stadium and remember that the 96 did not lose their live's for nothing.

Out of bad comes good and in this instance it is the fact that i can safely get to football in comfort on a coach, sit on a nice padded seat in a safe part of the new stadium and then leave again back to my coach to get home to my family nice and safely.

Our fantastic new stadium was built with many safety aspects all put in place due to this horrendous tradegy to provide us with the safest environment possible whilst supporting our beloved team.

Just need the Railway to wake up now and provide extra trains before someone is crushed on there at the end of a game!

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

that when a death occurs
that we're the first
to mark it with a clap
we're delighted
to be fans united
but the fake tears I got
make me so mourn-y

What an utterly shitty thing to post!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Just need the Railway to wake up now and provide extra trains before someone is crushed on there at the end of a game!

Theres a difference from a major national tragedy which cost the lives of 96 innocent fans, to a group of about 20 fans who force their way towards a train door. The train issue could be sorted by not pushing. Can stick longer trains on all you like, will still happen as people cant wait.

Back on topic - Sheffield Wednesday werent involved, it just happened at their stadium 23 years ago. It is of course good for the REAL truth to come out and as football fans we can be happy with that.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I come from the 70's/80's era and everyone will tell you it really was a different time then. Almost every game was like Palace is now. But what has been proved today is that people in the highest jobs can be complete knobs-then & now. Just look at some of our local councillors. It was a scandel that has taken two decades to get Justice. Should the Albion mark it ------ no. A big minority of the fans do not remember those times. However I would be happy to have my mind changed. :bhasign:

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
Don't think anyone will forget Hillsborough nor should they - however Friday night is about a game of football which if won could see us go top of the league -

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All matches this weekend should take their lead from Liverpool and Sheff Wed football clubs as to marking today's news. If they want it to be marked they should make it known.

Why Sheffield Wednesday, and not Nottingham Forest?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I am going to sit quietly in my seat before the game, take a little look around our fantastic all seater stadium and remember that the 96 did not lose their live's for nothing.

Out of bad comes good and in this instance it is the fact that i can safely get to football in comfort on a coach, sit on a nice padded seat in a safe part of the new stadium and then leave again back to my coach to get home to my family nice and safely.

Our fantastic new stadium was built with many safety aspects all put in place due to this horrendous tradegy to provide us with the safest environment possible whilst supporting our beloved team.

Just read your post---my thoughts completely---well done mate:thumbsup:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
What an utterly shitty thing to post!

It's a dig at all this need for these mawkish displays of emotion. Why do we as a nation all now feel the need to do this? Can't we be left to our own thoughts and leave the public mourning to those whom it has actually affected? I'm sorry if it upsets you but I find it totally unnecessary. And I write that as someone who had a mate at that match on that day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here