Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Highest profile Albion signings

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Bobby Smith (before my time) must be the biggest. I think the posters who have already mentioned him have omitted to make clear that Albion were in the 4th div at the time so that makes it even more senational.

I suppose Cloughie must be the biggest in my time. Imagine Muriniho ending up at a team in our div after walking out on Chelsea.

Well put FG; I do remember Bobby Smith playing for the Albion and the seemingly enormous crowds that season - it all seems very surreal now. I think we paid a nominal fee to Spurs (£5K?) but there was also (apparently) some sort of deal done with a local bookmaker paying off Smith's gambling debts - George Gunn wasn't it?
Good analogy with Cloughie and Muriniho, that's exactly how it was.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Alex Dawson was a pretty big signing. One of the Busby Babes - played in the first Man U game after Munich.
All the famous players we signed in those days (as now !) were reaching the end of their careers and being "put out to grass"
eg Hopkins, Dawson,Lawton, Bridges, Worthington,Chivers,Beal, Mortimer.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
David Cameron

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
A clear leader: Bobby Smith from Spurs.

Others a long way behind, Mark Lawrenson and Gary Williams joint signing.

Nobby Lawton.
Brian Clough.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Jimmy Case, Michael Robinson and Micky Thomas for me. Proper household names joining the albion from established Division one teams who would have been an asset to any team at that time. Gatting and Andy Ritchie were also quite well known prior to joining us.

Sammy Nelson and Frank Worthington were also exciting but were at the end of their careers.
Yup, they'd be my three as well. I wasn't in Sussex when Smith signed but I admit he must be the clear winner.

I'm not sure about Lawrenson; he was just a good, lower-league prospect when he came to us but he wasn't an established top-flight player like Case, Robinson or Thomas - although he was a full international.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Russell Osman - possibly the only movie star ever to play for us ...and what a movie! I still look out for him in Escape to Victory.

What do John Fashanu, Dennis Mortimer, Joe Corrigan, Alan Biley, Russell Osman, Liam Brady, Steve Foster the second time, Mick Ferguson, Jamie Moralee, Frank Stapleton, Paul Kitson, Jason Dodd, Frank Worthington, Dave Beasant, Doug Rougvie and Mark Chamberlain have in common. All old bastards with big CV's but ultimatley, very little to offer.

Golden oldies like Forster and Butters are hard to come by

.....not forgetting Jimmy Case, and Graham Cross. :thumbsup:

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
What do John Fashanu, Dennis Mortimer, Joe Corrigan, Alan Biley, Russell Osman, Liam Brady, Steve Foster the second time, Mick Ferguson, Jamie Moralee, Frank Stapleton, Paul Kitson, Jason Dodd, Frank Worthington, Dave Beasant, Doug Rougvie and Mark Chamberlain have in common. All old bastards with big CV's but ultimatley, very little to offer.
Golden oldies like Forster and Butters are hard to come by
Wasn't it Justin Fashanu that played for us ?

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Big Doug Rougvie, Dennis Mortimer and Joe Corrigan.

I would still propose that Mortimer was the main reason for Dean Saunders scoring all he did - the season Mortimer retired didnt Saunders goalscoring go right down the pan?

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Bobby Smith.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here