Highest profile Albion signings

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Liam Brady as manager

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
When Bobby Smith signed for Albion in 1964 it was the equivilant of Shearer leaving Newcastle and joining us straight away. I believe Smith had played for England less than a year before.

The news came as a bolt out of the blue - I can still remember when I heard - I was queuing outside the old North Road Baths for after school swimming practice. First crowd at the Goldstone to watch him was over 20,000 and that was about the season's average.

No doubt about it, Bobby Smith stands out as easily the biggest signing the club has ever made. He joined in May 1964 for only £5000 from Spurs just six months after scoring in the last of his 15 games for England.

I believe Mel Hopkins who joined later in the 64/65 season was also signed from Spurs and had been an international for one of the home countries.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Jimmy Case, Michael Robinson and Micky Thomas for me. Proper household names joining the albion from established Division one teams who would have been an asset to any team at that time. Gatting and Andy Ritchie were also quite well known prior to joining us.

Sammy Nelson and Frank Worthington were also exciting but were at the end of their careers.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Dennis Mortimer, Jimmy Case, Frank Worthington

Liam Brady has got to be the biggest though.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I imagine that must have been massive.

Having said that, Peter Taylor (2) was quite glamourous at the time!

To be honest i was only 8 at the time, and although i knew Cloughie, i did not even recognise at the time he had an assistant.

Also at the time Lyndsey de Paul had a single out called Long live love, and we sang Long live Clough, ...oh the memories

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Jimmy Case, Michael Robinson and Micky Thomas for me. Proper household names joining the albion from established Division one teams who would have been an asset to any team at that time. Gatting and Andy Ritchie were also quite well known prior to joining us.

Sammy Nelson and Frank Worthington were also exciting but were at the end of their careers.

Oo! Oo!:clap2: and Sammy Nelson, I got excited all over again

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
What do John Fashanu, Dennis Mortimer, Joe Corrigan, Alan Biley, Russell Osman, Liam Brady, Steve Foster the second time, Mick Ferguson, Jamie Moralee, Frank Stapleton, Paul Kitson, Jason Dodd, Frank Worthington, Dave Beasant, Doug Rougvie and Mark Chamberlain have in common. All old bastards with big CV's but ultimatley, very little to offer.

Golden oldies like Forster and Butters are hard to come by

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here