Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Highest profile Albion signings

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
For me Jimmy Case, Frank Worthington and Joe Corrigan. All were already legends when they signed and although Worthington was already a little past it he still showed a little of the player he had been.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It should also be mentioned that Denis mortimer had been the captain of Aston Villa's European Cup winners and Gotsmanov had played in the European nations Final.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that people on here have done Denis Motimer a disservice in that in his short time here he oozed class and was an inspiration to us. I think that the biggest suprise was Bobby Smith and Alan Mullery coming as manager being an Ex England captain it was expected he would start off managing much higher than us.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Ştefan Iovan played for us having 4 years previously captained Steaua Bucharest to the champions league (european cup)
Got to be up there surely.
Anyone remember the friendly we played against them as part of the deal ended up 4-4 I have the programme for that somewhere.
He is now Romania's assistant manager.

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
As previously stated, the correct answer has to be Bobby Smith.

In 1961 we were relegated from the old division 2, then division 3 and at the start of 1964 found ourselves in the old 4th division for the first time.

To then sign Bobby Smith, who had led the Spurs "double winning" side and who, the previous year had played for England, was extraordinary. We won the fourth division championship that season with an average gate of just under 18,000.

I'd be happy to have that average when we get to Falmer. That was the impact the he had at the time.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Ştefan Iovan played for us having 4 years previously captained Steaua Bucharest to the champions league (european cup)
Got to be up there surely.
Anyone remember the friendly we played against them as part of the deal ended up 4-4 I have the programme for that somewhere.
He is now Romania's assistant manager.

...and all those who would seek to rubbish Barry Lloyd should remember who it was who brought the likes of Iovan, Gotsmanov, Small and Byrne to the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here