Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II Passes Away - 08/09/2022

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I’ve just checked on the Charity Commission website and Eton College is a charity. It’s income last year was just short of £85,000,000. I would just like to know what it does to justify being classed as a charity. Maybe it really earns it, but maybe not.

I believe to get charitable status they have to provide a certain percentage of scholarships for the public benefit and be non for profit.
And by doing this they then pay less tax on their income from fees because they are a charity.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They are doing nether though. This is huge piles of single use plastic, most of which will end up in landfill and the smell from the rotting flowers won't be nice.

Adding to that random cuddly toys, marmalade sandwiches and if Diana is anything to go by the odd rubber ET.

Someone will have to clear that all up.

It's what happens when people react to a media event.

The flowers rotting will be composted, and bagged up. That has already been said.
A good point about cellophane although not every spray of flowers are wrapped in it. Maybe florists should be banned from using cellophane?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Watching the live feed I find it interesting how many people are crossing themselves after bowing. Perhaps the British are still a little bit more Christian than we thought?

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
The queue has reached 5 miles long and has been deemed 'at capacity'. No further additions to the queue for the next six hours.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The queue has reached 5 miles long and has been deemed 'at capacity'. No further additions to the queue for the next six hours.

Any idea how many people get to see the coffin in 24 hour period?

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
I'm sure a civil servant somewhere is monitoring the numbers, but I haven't seen any published.

Presumably now there is a queue to join the queue?!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Why do people take flowers to a funeral or put them on graves?
How do you know these people haven’t done both? People who give to charity don’t tell anybody about it, so you wouldn’t know.
People also pay their respects in their own way.
You may not understand it. It it is what it is.

As you'll know, at a lot of funerals the family ask for donations rather than more flowers. Maybe the Royals could have asked for this. Maybe they'd have only got a trickle of donations and still only a slightly smaller mountain of flowers but.... still better imho.
I do understand that some people like to pay their respects in a highly visible way. I was just wondering how much the mountain of rotting flowers and tat cost.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Watching the live feed I find it interesting how many people are crossing themselves after bowing. Perhaps the British are still a little bit more Christian than we thought?

I imagine those that would spend 5-10 hours queuing to see a coffin are likely to over-represent in the religious category.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
2 lines in the hall, so 50 people per minute? X 60 X 24 X 4 days - so around 250 - 300k in total?

Alternative calculation……..:

If everyone in the supposed 5 mile queue occupies a yard, there are 8,800 people in the queue. Queue takes 8 hours to pass by, so 3 ‘queues’ can go past in 24 hours, so 26,400 every 24 hours ?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

If everyone in the supposed 5 mile queue occupies a yard, there are 8,800 people in the queue. Queue takes 8 hours to pass by, so 3 ‘queues’ can go past in 24 hours, so 26,400 every 24 hours ?

That’s probably more realistic than my calculation. I think we should start a sweepstake on the final official number - I’ll remain optimistic and go for 250,000.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

x the numbers in the queue by 2 or 3. Family and friends are queuing next to each other. In the hall they file by solo.

2.5 x 5 x 1,760 = 22,000

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here