Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Henderson to Preston

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I was disappointed to hear about Henderson leaving as I thought he provided good competition for the number one jersey.

However .…. Kuipers is my preferred choice in goal when in form. We have sold Henderson for much more than we signed him and if Blayney does come back I think it will be a good bit of business by the club. I thought Blayney looked impressive in his first spell (although not quite so good in the second spell) and I would have preferred to have taken Blayney at the time when we considering signing one of the two ‘keepers.

I have had a look on the official PNE website [http://www.pnefc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Match/TheGaffer/0,,10362~973975,00.html], and Simpson has some interesting things to say about his new signing:
"He's still very young and has got a really good background; having been brought up well at Aston Villa and then at Brighton and I think he's got a hell of a lot to offer.

"He's a full international and at the fee we've got him for it is a real bargain for the football club and hopefully he'll go and force himself into the squad and be really good competition for Andy Lonergan.

"I think it's a real good capture of a goalkeeper who will go on to be a real big signing. We've got a player at that price is a real coup for the Club."

"When you are involved at International level and at a Club like Aston Villa you have to be prepared for competition and the challenge is there for him to show us that he deserves to play and he has a big job on his hands to dislodge Andy Lonergan, who has been excellent so far in the two games that he has played, but hopefully he'll push him all the way."

Last edited:

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Exiled in Exeter said:
I was disappointed to hear about Henderson leaving as I thought he provided good competition for the number one jersey.

However .…. Kuipers is my preferred choice in goal when in form. We have sold Henderson for much more than we signed him and if Blayney does come back I think it will be a good bit of business by the club. I thought Blayney looked impressive in his first spell (although not quite so good in the second spell) and I would have preferred to have taken Blayney at the time when we considering signing one of the two ‘keepers.

I have had a look on the official PNE website [http://www.pnefc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Match/TheGaffer/0,,10362~973975,00.html], and Simpson has some interesting things to say about his new signing:
"He's still very young and has got a really good background; having been brought up well at Aston Villa and then at Brighton and I think he's got a hell of a lot to offer.

"He's a full international and at the fee we've got him for it is a real bargain for the football club and hopefully he'll go and force himself into the squad and be really good competition for Andy Lonergan.

"I think it's a real good capture of a goalkeeper who will go on to be a real big signing. We've got a player at that price is a real coup for the Club."

"When you are involved at International level and at a Club like Aston Villa you have to be prepared for competition and the challenge is there for him to show us that he deserves to play and he has a big job on his hands to dislodge Andy Lonergan, who has been excellent so far in the two games that he has played, but hopefully he'll push him all the way."

I am happy with the fee, but sounds like we could have got more...

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It's been difficult to argue that Henderson is/was our No. 1. So in effect we have got £150k (possibly more) for a goalie who was second choice in a lower League 1 team. Someone we paid only about £25k for. Yet again I am amazed at how we seem to be able to make money in the transfer market. Of all the players we've sold in the last few years, I think only CKR could really be said to be making a go of it post-Albion.

Well done Sir Dick!

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
cardboard said:
Did we get a sell on???

Haven’t read about a sell on clause anywhere.

All I have seen is the fee is rising by £50,000 depending on appearances. Although I don’t think the number of appearances which would trigger this clause has been made public yet.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Jim in the West said:
It's been difficult to argue that Henderson is/was our No. 1. So in effect we have got £150k (possibly more) for a goalie who was second choice in a lower League 1 team. Someone we paid only about £25k for. Yet again I am amazed at how we seem to be able to make money in the transfer market. Of all the players we've sold in the last few years, I think only CKR could really be said to be making a go of it post-Albion.

An excellent piece of business.
Hendo is laughing as he's got a long deal at a club who are near the top of the Championship, maybe heading into the Prem.
I would like to remind people that stats for this season for FDM and Hendo are almost identical on goals conceded (1.36 each)
I will always remember Hendo for the superb saves he did at Selhurst Park which helped us to win that game as much as McShane's goal.

Best of luck to him

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
butchy said:
exactly, we dont need pre-madonas....

I don't see what Guy Ritchie's last girlfriend has got to do with the Albion keeper situation.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
chez said:
Im fully behind Hendo's decision to leave. Suprised he stuck it out so long playing for probably the worst fans in the league. Why would anyone want to play for Brighton knowing what their fans have become. An absolute embarressment.

If they are so bad go and support another team .. by all means have your opinion on Hendo, Kuipers etc , but dont "tar " everyone with your comments .

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Arrid said:
"fans that hate him"
The world doesn't begin and end at NSC you know. The majority of people just think he isn't as good as Kuipers or think he is better.

They don't hate him.

He has got a bit of stick re a couple of cock up's that is all. For what it is worth part & part of being an avarage goalkeeper.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Barrel of Fun said:
:wave: Good luck and thanks. A shame that he was not appreciated by a section of the fans.

750% profit is not a bad bit of business.

What school did or do you go to?

Selling Price = 150k
Cost Price = 20k
Profit = 130K = 86.66% (130/150 x 100 %)

Still good business by DK if we can get Blaney, who IMHO is a better keeper than either Henderson or Kuipers, in to replace him.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
BensGrandad said:

Errrr......probably one that taught Maths a bit better than the one you went to.

BensGrandad said:

Selling Price = 150k
Cost Price = 20k

Profit is 130/20 x 100, so actually 650%

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
AZ Gull said:
Errrr......probably one that taught Maths a bit better than the one you went to.

Profit is 130/20 x 100, so actually 650%

Wrong.

The profit is the amount of money made in excess of that outlayed in the first place as a % of the total received.

It is a mathematical impossibility to make a profit of 100% on an item if you paid anything for it.

eg. Cost of item 1p selling price £1000. Profit = £999.99 therefore the % profit is 99.999%.

The mark up on the item shown is 1000% but not the PROFIT.

This is a misconception often made by people. The most classic is to buy an item for 50p sell it for £1.00 the mark up is 100% but the gross profit is 50%. Of the £1.00 received only 50% of it is profit the rest is the cost of the purchase.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is not the sort of conversation Leeds fans usually have, I'll wager...

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Just been reading the interview with Hendo on PNE's site, and was quite disappointed to see that he said the following:

I've backed so highly by Steve Staunton and Alan Kelly; they've shown tremendous support because they knew the situation I was going through at Brighton and the fact that the reasons I was out of the team had nothing to do with football...

Er, actually Wayne I'm pretty sure you were dropped because of your form!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BensGrandad said:

Selling Price = 150k
Cost Price = 20k

Still good business by DK if we can get Blaney, who IMHO is a better keeper than either Henderson or Kuipers, in to replace him.

Lancing :cool:

I meant 750% of the purchase price or 7.5 times. :dunce:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
It shows how little we have to be positive about when we are arguing over two of the most average keepers we have had in 20 years or so.

:nono:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
"I've backed so highly by Steve Staunton and Alan Kelly; they've shown tremendous support because they knew the situation I was going through at Brighton and the fact that the reasons I was out of the team had nothing to do with football..."

What is that all about??

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
NS Herald said:
MK is no average keeper. He lives and breathes for this club and has won a lot of games for us over the years and has earnt the respect shown to him by a large number of people. :clap: :clap:

Fair enough, if he is so great why is the split down the middle between those who think the sun shines out of his arse and those who think he is not that great.

AVERAGE keepers are prone to error, Kuipers has been a good servant to the club, but I must have been going to different games as many people on here because time after time his distrubution has led to giving the ball away and howlers have cost us points.

Having met the guy a few times he certainly enjoys being here, but so he should, he is getting paid more than he would anywhere else, and lets face it if he wasn't good enough for Boston.......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here