Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Henderson at fault again?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
bew4194 said:
Not blaming Henderson at all but it seems to me that we never win games when he is in goal.
:lol:

We've won 5 games all season. Personally I don't blame Wayne Henderson for that.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I will be honest, and those standing near me yesterday will have heard me say this, but I thought Hendo was weak yesterday and I agree with LI on this one. It was his fault for the goal, he must learn to palm the ball away for a corner or at least away from the goal sideways!!!

His action is to punch the ball straight down the middle and yes it has cost us games ( Sheff Utd as an exampe)

You also know I was not that enammered when we signed him as I actually thought Blaney is a better keeper ( But what do I know as he is an Irish international after all)

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
bew4194 said:
Not blaming Henderson at all but it seems to me that we never win games when he is in goal.

We don't seem to win games full stop, i hardly think it's his fault.

Roll on next season should see some goals and a few more wins.

Easy promotion next season and we should fully expect it Mcghee had better have the lads ready.

Not getting promoted next year wil be a much bigger disapoitment than getting relegated this season.

Come on Albion

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
London Irish said:
What I'd like to see more of from Hendo next season is deflecting shots for a corner rather than them rebounding straight out to the opposition striker, there is a skill to this in how you angle your hands and I hope him and Keeley are doing work on it. The shot yesterday was angled across his body and I was hoping that would give him the chance to push it to safety, but it was not to be.

Perry Digweed used to do this all the time...

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Dies Irae said:
I will be honest, and those standing near me yesterday will have heard me say this, but I thought Hendo was weak yesterday and I agree with LI on this one. It was his fault for the goal, he must learn to palm the ball away for a corner or at least away from the goal sideways!!!

His action is to punch the ball straight down the middle and yes it has cost us games ( Sheff Utd as an exampe)

Although I take the point generally, I don't think you can blame him in any way for the goal yesterday. The angle of the shot made it virtually impossible to palm it for a corner - he did all he could. The defence, specifically Butters and Lynch, were the ones at fault for letting the player run and run without getting nearly close to him.

As for the Sheffield Utd game, that was a one-on-one! He did well enough to block it in the first place, it would be incredibly harsh to blame him for the fact that Jagielka reacted quicker than three of our defenders.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
as Dies will bear out here. I actually reckoned that Blayney was a better keeper. Both he and Kuipers seem to have the knack of clearing the ball away from goal.

But I know Uncle Buck believes that henderson is a better keeper so I'm sure he will be here soon advising us of this!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Did anyone think that the pitch contributed to their goal yesterday, it was so hard to read what it would do next, especially when it hit the ground.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Repugnant Toad said:
Although I take the point generally, I don't think you can blame him in any way for the goal yesterday. The angle of the shot made it virtually impossible to palm it for a corner - he did all he could. The defence, specifically Butters and Lynch, were the ones at fault for letting the player run and run without getting nearly close to him.

As for the Sheffield Utd game, that was a one-on-one! He did well enough to block it in the first place, it would be incredibly harsh to blame him for the fact that Jagielka reacted quicker than three of our defenders.

SHOCK!:rolleyes:

Sandgate Seagull

Jul 11, 2003
Seaford
Henderson was clearly at fault again. Just because iIeland picked him to play in one friendly, smacks more of the lack of young irish keepers than any real glowing endoresement of his keeping.

Bring back Kuipers. (He was not at fault for any of the goals boston let in on Saturday).

:nono:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Sandgate Seagull said:
you could argue lynch was at fault as well. Henderson punch (or lack of it) at Plymouth and his mistake yesterday have cost us dear. :p

You could also argue he should have come off his line for sheffields 3rd

Sandgate Seagull

Jul 11, 2003
Seaford
I can only remember one in the first half. But then again, I was concentrating more on stopping the torrent of water running down the back of my neck than on the game.

D

Deleted member 2719

As i have always said Kuipers should be no 1 while fighting for relegation and henderson has to fight for the shirt next year.

Goalkeeping is all about experience imo.

Henderson distrubution really has made such a difference to the team.:jester:

MM got it wrong again.

:angry: :angry:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
ROSM said:
Both he and Kuipers seem to have the knack of clearing the ball away from goal.

Even if that's true, and I have significant doubts about it, the other aspects of Hendo's game are enough to make him a comfortably better goalkeeper than Kuipers or Blayney are.

His kicking, throwing, speed, agility, reading of the game, command of his box and sweeping behind the back four are much stronger than both of the previous two. I can understand the fondness for Kuipers, but I'm afraid a lot of what is said about him is based upon his performances as part of a better team at a lower level ... he's just not a Championship keeper.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well when we had our 'purple patch in the league last year' before he got injured against Forest I would say he was a championship standard keeper. Oh and under Coppell as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here