Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Heaviest Albion defeat you've seen?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I remember us getting thrashed in a pre season friendly at The Goldstone (RIP) against Sheffield Wednesday. Think it was 7-1 to them. They had Des Walker and Regi Blinker playing for them.

I was at that match, it was Fozzie's testimonial, though I don't recall a 1-7 scoreline!!

:lol:

In proper matches the most I've seen us concede is 5, away at Palace was obviously the worst, and other games have already been mentioned - but also I seem to recall losing 1-5 (might have been 4) in the pissing rain at the Goldstone to Cardiff, that was a depressing match.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
2-8 v Bristol R, smash n grab, Nigel Clough in dugout, his dad's couldn't care less attitude in Big Match interview

What do you mean, "couldn't care less attitude"?

I thought Clough hit the nail on the head with what he said....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My worst was 8 - 0 away to Northampton when Dave Bowen was their manager. My best was when we beat Wisbech 10 - 0 at home in the cup and Jesse Pye was playing for Wisbech and then in the next game, I think it was, at The Goldstone we beat Southend 9- 1. Also saw the Bristol Rovers mauling 8 - 2.

The 4 - 0 home to Walton was a typical cup tie we were losing 2 - 0 with something like 20 mins to go so we went s..t or bust and unfortunately went bust as we conceded 2 more in breakaways, for one of them Powney was virtually on the half way line if I remember correctly, whilst we were attacking trying to get back into the game. In the Cup you may as well lose 10 - 0 as lose 2 - 0.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
My worst was 8 - 0 away to Northampton when Dave Bowen was their manager. My best was when we beat Wisbech 10 - 0 at home in the cup and Jesse Pye was playing for Wisbech and then in the next game, I think it was, at The Goldstone we beat Southend 9- 1. Also saw the Bristol Rovers mauling 8 - 2.

The 4 - 0 home to Walton was a typical cup tie we were losing 2 - 0 with something like 20 mins to go so we went s..t or bust and unfortunately went bust as we conceded 2 more in breakaways, for one of them Powney was virtually on the half way line if I remember correctly, whilst we were attacking trying to get back into the game. In the Cup you may as well lose 10 - 0 as lose 2 - 0.

I'm not too sure of this , but , the Walton & Hersham match , was that a midweek game played during the day ?
If it was , what was the reason .

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes it was played during the afternoon of either a Tues or Wed, probably about a 2.00 kick off because there was no lights then, and could have gone to extra time, as we drew at Stompond Lane on the previous Saturday.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
Yes it was played during the afternoon of either a Tues or Wed, probably about a 2.00 kick off because there was no lights then, and could have gone to extra time, as we drew at Stompond Lane on the previous Saturday.

No lights eh .
Was this match played during the Heath government's electricity blackouts
or was there something wrong with the Goldstone's floodlights ?
I do seem to recall a really low attendance figure .

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
3 day working week was around this time, wasn't it?

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
3 day working week was around this time, wasn't it?

I wasn't in the workforce then , still at school .
But , " 3 day working week " , I remember the headlines .
Had forgotten about that period until now .
Anyone experiece it ?
Some industries now heading to 4-day working weeks ,
although for entirely different reasons this time round .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here