Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Headlights beaming onto your rear car mirror

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Totty says,which one is the rear view mirror then because there are 3. :shrug:

Tell her to ignore the ones on the outside as these are useless for women applying their lipstick.:D

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Having used this function tonight for the first time I would have said that on a motorway is probably the LAST place it should be used. It makes the other cars lights really dark and I reckon you could easily miss someone overtaking you and pull out on them at 90 or so

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
On pondering this question 100's of times whilst flogging up and down the A27, (involves lots of swearing at other drivers ) I have come to the conclusion that there is another switch on most modern cars that most drivers don't seem to know is there. The ride hight adjuster for the lights, hence the dazzling, from in front and from behind. Twats. :tosser:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Having used this function tonight for the first time I would have said that on a motorway is probably the LAST place it should be used. It makes the other cars lights really dark and I reckon you could easily miss someone overtaking you and pull out on them at 90 or so

I shouldve made myself clearer, it's great on a motorway that is unlit, like the m23, but not so good on a lit motorway.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy

It's fine on a motorway. But you should only use it briefly until the offending idiot behind you has either passed, or you've pulled far enough in front for the dazzle to go, then flick it back.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
After driving for 6 years, this weekend was the first time i realised u can twist something at the bottom of your rear mirror to dim out the bright headlights from cars behind!? anyone else not know about these?

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've had this on every car I've ever owned, right back to a Mk II Cortina first registered in 1970. I'm sure my dad had the feature on all his cars while I was growing up, too.

I can't believe some people have been unaware of it! Incredible.

Also, to Skint Gull, if you have used the feature because there is someone behind you with lights blazing, there's always the option of looking over your shoulder before pulling out, WHICH YOU SHOULD DO ANYWAY!

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Also, to Skint Gull, if you have used the feature because there is someone behind you with lights blazing, there's always the option of looking over your shoulder before pulling out, WHICH YOU SHOULD DO ANYWAY!

1) I have never used this function until I read it here yesterday. I think I remember f***ing around with that switch once after i just passed my test but it must have been daytime and it kinda makes the rear view a bit useless so I thought nothing of it.

2) Lets not question my driving here, I'm one of the few drivers that will actually use the left lane on a motorway at night rather than the twats who pootle along at 70 in the middle and make me move into the right lane when the left is completely EMPTY. When driving along a motorway at night (which I've done a fair bit of by the way) if you are driving properly and fully aware of what's around you you shouldn't need to look over your shoulder. I probably look in all of my mirrors every 5 seconds or so whenever i'm driving and therefore I know constantly what is around me

Dozy tailgater = rear-ended at 120kmh = quite possibly dead if you do that on a motorway.

Indeed, if you do slam on the anchors at speed, the bugger hugging your tail could end up shunting you, at speed, into oncoming traffic or over the side into a ditch.
Wiser to slow down - and if they insist on keeping an unsafe distance, you reduce the speed until it becomes the safe distance!
I do this, and don't care how irate it makes the follower. They normally get the picture and give more clearance, or overtake and tailgate the person ahead of me!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
i used to test my brakes. made most w@nker drivers back off, sharpish.

not very clever, your trusting your life on the hope that the driver behind you has faster reaction times than you, if they don't then your going to get potential fatal whip lash from the resulting collision.

With most species, and especially humans have an inbuilt survival instinct for self preservation. it appears yours is missing, if you are trusting a strangers reaction times to save your life.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
2) Lets not question my driving here, I'm one of the few drivers that will actually use the left lane on a motorway at night rather than the twats who pootle along at 70 in the middle and make me move into the right lane when the left is completely EMPTY. When driving along a motorway at night (which I've done a fair bit of by the way) if you are driving properly and fully aware of what's around you you shouldn't need to look over your shoulder. I probably look in all of my mirrors every 5 seconds or so whenever i'm driving and therefore I know constantly what is around me

I wouldn't have dreamt of it, till you said this. If you consider 70mph to be pootling, then you're a dangerous driver and a climate criminal.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I wouldn't have dreamt of it, till you said this. If you consider 70mph to be pootling, then you're a dangerous driver and a climate criminal.

But don't forget the original post. He was pulling out at 90 in the path of a real maniac who was overtaking him! :jester:

And I wasn't questioning your driving, Skint Gull, I was merely pointing out that looking over the shoulder is a good precaution whatever. I also look in my mirrors all the time and am very aware of what's around me, but occasionally, a car can appear doing over a ton in a remarkably short space of time, so I generally also have a quick look!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
But don't forget the original post. He was pulling out at 90 in the path of a real maniac who was overtaking him! :jester:

And I wasn't questioning your driving, Skint Gull, I was merely pointing out that looking over the shoulder is a good precaution whatever. I also look in my mirrors all the time and am very aware of what's around me, but occasionally, a car can appear doing over a ton in a remarkably short space of time, so I generally also have a quick look!

I thought that was a typo! I have to admit, I used to drive at 85/90 when I first passed my test, but then crashed on the M4 due to a swerving HGV and bounced off the central reservation across 2 lanes of traffic. I certainly wouldn't dream of speeding these days and have since found out that on average, driving at 80mph uses 25%+ more fuel than at 70mph, per mile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here