Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2024/25 edition)

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Where do you live? Definitely not the case on the coast down here - loads of sun through spring/summer
Seaford… but I am often spoiled with British Columbia weather where the summers are summers. It’s like the air is “thicker” here and there’s sweat on my brow walking from humidity here, which isn’t the case elsewhere.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Nowhere near, it’s still 27 degrees here in Vancouver.
Temperatures 19/20 here with lots of sun till towards end of Sept at least which is great (after this unsettled few days and a couple of slightly cooler days mid next week). The nights are getting colder just for the middle of next week before picking up again. Nowhere near heating weather really

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m fine with it cooling personally. I’m fortunate that I can afford heating in my home, and I like chunky knitwear.

But the main reason is I want it to be either sunny and warm, or cloudy and cool.

I’m no fancy big city meteorologist, but so much of our spring and summer is that awful humid cloudy and muggy (but not sunny) crap. I end up longing for rain or a thunderstorm to relieve the pressure.

So crisp and cool suits me just fine from here until spring.

I think many would agree with you. The weather “doing something” and humid/warm nights are unpleasant.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
But the main reason is I want it to be either sunny and warm, or cloudy and cool.
I love a nice crisp cold sunny day.
I’m no fancy big city meteorologist, but so much of our spring and summer is that awful humid cloudy and muggy (but not sunny) crap. I end up longing for rain or a thunderstorm to relieve the pressure.
The centre of Sheffield's awful for the mugginess, I've had my windscreen mist up in midsummer just because it's so humid. I used to leave my house up on one of the hills wearing a coat and arrive in the office half an hour later stripped down to my shirt.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Seaford… but I am often spoiled with British Columbia weather where the summers are summers. It’s like the air is “thicker” here and there’s sweat on my brow walking from humidity here, which isn’t the case elsewhere.
I get the humidity to an extent but to say so much of our spring/summer is cloudy is just wrong here - we get loads of sun on the SE coast through spring/summer.

Love it being back here personally after living elsewhere various places: mostly sunny through spring and summer bar a the odd spell, and largely pleasant temperatures bar heatwaves where you can still go about your day job. Funny how folk see/feel things differently.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Vancouver has a wetter climate that the Sussex coast and high humidity. A bit more sun in July and August.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I get the humidity to an extent but to say so much of our spring/summer is cloudy is just wrong here - we get loads of sun on the SE coast through spring/summer.

Love it being back here personally after living elsewhere various places: mostly sunny through spring and summer bar a the odd spell, and largely pleasant temperatures bar heatwaves where you can still go about your day job. Funny how folk see/feel things differently.

This.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/climate/maps-and-data/uk-climate-averages/u100y2zh2

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Fired up the log burner last night . . . just for a few hours, not cold, just that it has been so damp/humid . . .all year!

I don't need a heater on my workshop or man cave these days, but I do need a dehumidifier!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Those averages for the UK... some places on these isles really don't see much sun, eh. we're lucky down here

Interesting visual - little yellow bit basically around the Sussex coast (if you zoom in!):

The poster lamented Vancouver better than Seaford weather, so Eastbourne’s very long standing climate data came in handy.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Shorts and t shirt here. Was working outside yesterday in shorts and t shirts as well. Some of us can handle it 😉

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here