Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Have you put the heating on yet? (2024/25 edition)

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I get the humidity to an extent but to say so much of our spring/summer is cloudy is just wrong here - we get loads of sun on the SE coast through spring/summer.

Love it being back here personally after living elsewhere various places: mostly sunny through spring and summer bar a the odd spell, and largely pleasant temperatures bar heatwaves where you can still go about your day job. Funny how folk see/feel things differently.
Ms BC is going to Sheffield University in a few weeks. I've warned her it'll be colder and wetter than Brighton. I'd better tell her this as well! Thanks for the heads up.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Haven't put the heating on yet but with almost zero solar for the last 2 days our smart meter is working overtime and eating into the credit built up over the last few months
Climate change really is a bummer ☹️

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Don't be ridiculous.

It's still summer.

😎

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Turned ours on for 15 mins a couple weeks ago just to check it was all working . Heating engineers love a sudden cold snap around now as everyone's heating comes on and a fair few find somethings wrong all at the same time and heating guys are booked solid

If you havent checked yours, its due to be okish weather wise for the next week- check it now while there are still plumbers available to fix it and its not freezing!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
The boiler had a clean bill of health, and was back doing it's thing this chilly morning.

Flow temperature is set at 57C (unless outside temperature goes below 0C, then I'll whack it up to 60C) for those that are interested; I have a solar diverter on the immersion heater so I have no concerns about legionella.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Half an hour ago I found that Mrs T had not properly closed 3 of the roof lights in the extension. The manual-close-only ones (installed in case the electric ones fail - what was I thinking? They are all manually overridable) are a bit high for Mrs T and she thinks pushing them almost closed is sufficient :facepalm:

Having sorted that, the place is warming up. Without that fix my glances towards the central heating controller (off for summer) would have become increasing frequent and baleful. ???

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Log store is fully stocked up, logged and kindling chopped up. Had the fire serviced last week so we're ready to go! The sunshine will keep the house warm enough today but tonight the fire might go on.
Not using the central heating yet. Greedy energy companies can f*** off.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
We have Hive and now we are both retired we only use boost on the heating as we're too irractic (in/out bedtime/get up time) to benefit from a schedule timer.

Just a tad nippy this morning so succumbed to a 30 minute boost at 20 degrees. All the rads got nice and warm but would probably benefit from bleeding. Does everyone else periodically bleed their radiators?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
All the rads got nice and warm but would probably benefit from bleeding. Does everyone else periodically bleed their radiators?

Yes, need the full surface area to emit heat efficiently.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Not yet but I'm under increasing pressure to do so - there's only so many jumpers you can wear indoors before succumbing to the inevitable!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here