Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you ever had to sack someone?

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Thanks for the advice guys. This person's position is being made redundant, yes. As I understand it, small businesses (and mine is very small - just me, one fulltimer and an occasional admin bod) do not have to offer redundancy payments or settlements.

DO NOT DO IT ALONE! You must have a witness to the procedings to make sure that the facts are not corrupted after the action.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Some good advice here. I've sacked people and made people redundant - rather too many for my liking - and it's never easy.

One thing I was told early on was never do the deed on a Friday, the poor sod has to stew on it over the weekend.

And, as others have suggested, you may find you have to offer period of consultancy to explore options. Redundancy's not to be taken lightly. If you get a big order the following week, you're screwed if you look to take someone else on.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
In the morning, stand all the employees in a line, then say to them, all of you who have a permanant job please take one step forward...............George (put in his real name!) stay where you are!!

he will soon get the hint...........you could text him right now and say....george dont worry about bringing in your pack lunch tomorrow mate...........E mail him through the local job centre plus address???..........there are a number of subtle ways of telling him!!!

And YES, I have had to sack / get rid of LOADS in the past, even sacked my sister in law once, and my own son!

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Only the once. My director at the time delegated the job to me and I did not relish the prospect. To be fair the person I had to let go was on a trial period and totally useless but as soon as she turned on the waterworks I froze and agreed with her that our boss was a shit and that any bad luck coming his way was totally deserved. :rolleyes:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Redundancy is still a dismissal, so procedure-wise you need to be spot on through the dismissal process. You can reasonably argue that the consultation period need only be one week, because you do not have to agree method of selection criteria, evaluate alternative ways of working, etc. Depending upon how humane you are, you could be slow parting with the redundancy payment, if cashflow is a real problem.
At the end of the day, you have to look for self-survival. There is only one seat in the lifeboat - and you own the lifeboat !

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
There's a lot of sensible advice on here about following the correct procedures in a redundancy. It's essential to follow these -- you might think you know the people involved and how they'll react, but don't underestimate the risk of someone advising them to have a go at taking a claim if they can find anything at fault with how you did it. Even if you win the claim, it's still a lot of aggravation and stress dealing with it.

I've had to do it twice (seven people in the early 90s recession, and around 25 a couple of years ago). The first time, it came as a bolt from the blue to people, and it caused a lot of distress and aggro (also among many of the people not made redundant, who were also hacked off about how it was handled, and it took a while for morale to recover).

The second time, we learned from this, and made sure as soon as we could see difficult times coming that we shared with staff all the financial information about the business and what was happening, so by the time the inevitable came, no-one was surprised and no-one thought they'd been treated unfairly, because they'd been told about the state of the business and the market all along, and had been given every opportunity to help turn it round. Didn't make it any easier on the day, but it did mean there was a lot less comeback. We also made sure that everyone got a payoff which was better than statutory redundancy terms (but I accept that not all businesses will be able to afford this).

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just get everyone in the office to completely blank him. With any luck he'll think he has ceased to exist and more than likely not come back to work, especially after the paycheques stop. It's a long shot but worth a crack.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Talking of sackings that's just what's happened to me :-(
I refused to work off a hop up ( without a safety rail ) 5 stories up from inside a balcony reaching up without a harness to cut some brickwork out , I just felt unsafe and told the wanky boss I felt unsafe doing the job so he said if your not gonna do it you can f*** off home so I f***ed off home

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I refused to work off a hop up ( without a safety rail ) 5 stories up from inside a balcony reaching up without a harness to cut some brickwork out , I just felt unsafe and told the wanky boss I felt unsafe doing the job so he said if your not gonna do it you can f*** off home so I f***ed off home

You could get him in some deep shite for what he did to you.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado

I would have nudged him over the balcony then gone to the pub:drink:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
You could get him in some deep shite for what he did to you.

Yeah I know, a call to health & safety and I think he'd be the one getting the sack if I was employed by a big firm I would have done but as I'm self employed I know I can walk onto a building site one day next week and get another job with another subcontractor

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yeah I know, a call to health & safety and I think he'd be the one getting the sack if I was employed by a big firm I would have done but as I'm self employed I know I can walk onto a building site one day next week and get another job with another subcontractor

Fair do's. I've only worked on a proper bulilding site once after college. The bloke who ran the site was a wanker. But I was a naive 17 yr old and just took his shit. Would just walk away from any boss like that now.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Despite being the most junior person with any level of responsibility in the entire company, I was made deliver the news to someone in a previous job. They were still on probation thankfully although the reasons would have been gross misconduct anyway.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Running a small biz it's simpler, just say you don't have the work or the finances to maintain him/her on your staff.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
Similar subject - I was begged to leave one employer, with a more lucrative pay and more hours.
Sadly they stuck me with a young utter wanker who thought everything was a race.
Despite him making massive costly (timewasting) mistakes, they'd had him on for a while.
I made objections to his stupid proclamations of being faster and said I couldn't work alongside it.
The guy who begged me to join after admiring my work followed the advice of the supervisor (also inept, he hsd already misread plans and set out a floor wrong that had to be pulled down) and asked me to finish up that Friday.
Naturally the wanker apprentice was scarce, so I couldn't 'discuss' our issues afterwards.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here