Have you ever had to sack someone?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Imagine they support Palace.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Yes you do. You need to offer a redundancy payment as well as a period of notice if they have been there a certain period of time. If you don't do that, you will have 'come backs' and they will cost you a lot more.

This is a worry. I'm having to let this person go to save the business sliding into the red. I can't afford redundancy pay. I'll be giving a month's notice but I wasn't expecting to have to pay any more.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
This is a worry. I'm having to let this person go to save the business sliding into the red. I can't afford redundancy pay. I'll be giving a month's notice but I wasn't expecting to have to pay any more.

How long have they worked for you?

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
How long have they worked for you?

They worked for the business (which I took over three years ago) for five years.

Having looked it up it looks like I will have to pay a week's wages for every year they have worked.

I have no doubt it will be a very amicable departure but I still want to make sure I'm doing the right thing without having to pay solicitors for advice.

TheFatBallBoy

Jan 10, 2010
Hove
Need to make their life hell for a while,just start picking on them and get others to gang up on them and after a while they should get the message and leave,say things like"i don'f care if you are right i don't want to hear it"possibly if they are dragging their feet get someone to accuse them of sexual misconduct or racism that should shift them and save on paper work:thumbsup:

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
once i told the senior engineer that my collleague was repeating errors - i displayed them too her............she marched down there and sacked him on the spot........he trodged off to his mortgage, wife and kids to explain he was unemployed.

....oops.

D

Deleted member 18477

I run a small business and for the first time I face having to fire/let go an employee. I'm dreading having to do the deed and wondered if any bosses on here have any tips or insight into what documents I need to process? The employee has done nothing wrong it's just the case of the business no longer being able to sustain the position. Hard times. :down:

if they've done nothing wrong then the easiest way is to also say 'we'll give you a great reference etc if you need one'... it's always nice to know the company and people working for said company care a little. and then obviously DO give them a nice reference when needed.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
They worked for the business (which I took over three years ago) for five years.

Having looked it up it looks like I will have to pay a week's wages for every year they have worked.

I have no doubt it will be a very amicable departure but I still want to make sure I'm doing the right thing without having to pay solicitors for advice.

Yes that is statutory 1 week for every year. You also have to be a little careful as you are supposed to announce potential redundancy and then enter into a 60 day consultation period before making any redundancy. Small business's may be different but I would suggest you research it. May cost you more in the long run if unfair dismissal is claimed and proven.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Yes that is statutory 1 week for every year. You also have to be a little careful as you are supposed to announce potential redundancy and then enter into a 60 day consultation period before making any redundancy. Small business's may be different but I would suggest you research it. May cost you more in the long run if unfair dismissal is claimed and proven.

Thanks. Given that I only really have me to consult with and no other employees, it would be hard to make that one stick in the very unlikely event this person kicks up a fuss.

Promotion

Aug 27, 2011
Nearby
I had to do it for the same reasons. should have done it earlier as i ended up losing the buisness. Are you a member of FSB? They will walk you through it and give you all the paper work, and legal advice needed. Well worth the small yearly subscription.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
DO NOT EMPLOYE A LAWYER.

If you are a small business join the FSB(Federation of Small Businesses), you will get all the advice you need and it is backed up by insurance if you follow their advice.
It's about £300 a year.
A lawyer/solictor would be that for the 1st letter!

I employ 20 people with a turnover of £5m+ and have used it many times in the last 5 years.

Aseros

Banned
Jun 6, 2011
You still need to have a consultancy period, and then you have to give the person time to make suggestions which could negate a redundancy. Basically, they may suggest that their hours are cut or similar. You also cannot recruit anybody in that position again for a certain amount of time, even if business picks up. Redundancy needs to be a 'last resort'

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
You still need to have a consultancy period, and then you have to give the person time to make suggestions which could negate a redundancy. Basically, they may suggest that their hours are cut or similar. You also cannot recruit anybody in that position again for a certain amount of time, even if business picks up. Redundancy needs to be a 'last resort'

This is what I was saying, it is not about consulting others it is about evaluating all options before the inevitable. Not sure if it is the same for very small businesses but worth researching.

Templeton Peck

Faceman
Jul 15, 2009
Brighton
Some good advice here... I echo the sentiments about having a witness and also make sure it is minuted if possible.

I've sacked three ppl. I think it isn't something to feel bad about as you have good reasons for doing it.

Making someone redundant is difficult as it's the right thing to do, but they haven't done anything wrong so it's important to be sympathetic / empathetic and listen to what they have to say... You never know they might suggest something that may prevent the need (is rare but have seen it happen)

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
As its a small business could you just not move and not tell them? They would work it out in the end.

If that isn’t possible, then be as honest as you can with them.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
My Dad has told me of times he had to make people redundant at his old job. He didn't want to talk about it but needless to say he got a fair bit of abuse from people who he considered friends. In his current job he had to fire someone who kept stealing stock and mislaying the company's finances.

There was one time actually in his previous job where the police briefed him on a sting operation they were planning for, to arrest illegal immigrants working for his company. My dad had to keep the suspects in a room under a fake alibi while the police surrounded the office complex with dogs, border staff, helicopters, the lot before moving in. Ahhh, sounded like a right storm in teacup that.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
I run a small business and for the first time I face having to fire/let go an employee. I'm dreading having to do the deed and wondered if any bosses on here have any tips or insight into what documents I need to process? The employee has done nothing wrong it's just the case of the business no longer being able to sustain the position. Hard times. :down:

give them as much notice as possible, or pay in lieu. will be a shock, either way.

DWP – Department for Work and Pensions corporate website may have more on the regulations, redundacy notice pay etc.. everyone (i think) has to be told of posible redundancies first, if it not about their performance..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here