Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you been impressed with Gordon Brown?

Have you been impressed with Gordon Brown during the financial crisis

• Yes, showed firm leadership

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • No, its all his fault anyway

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Fence. Gordon Brown, wasn't that a Stranglers song

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you been impressed with Gordon Brown during the financial crisis? I know I have. Firm leadership, better policy than the US bail out. Both EU and now US copying Browns recapitalisation of banks.

Yes, Britain and the rest of the world will still be hit by a recession, but maybe just maybe it wont be as bad as once feared i.e a depression.

I know this is early days, but maybe this is the turning point for him.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I also have been very impressed with him of late, but its a bit 'poacher turned gamekeeper'.

He says that after all this is settled he will go after the Bankers that got us in this mess, with their massive bonuses. What he neglects to mention is that he was Chancellor over this entire period and should have controlled things then.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Brown and Darling has ben very impressive this last week it has to be said.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brown and Darling has ben very impressive this last week it has to be said.
True - but he's to blame for failing to regulate lending in the first place. Too many people have warned him that the economy has been based on credit and now it's chickens coming home to roost.

He appears to have a plan (don't know if it's his, or some Whitehall mandarin who has blown dust off something they had in the treasury), and none of really us know if it will 'work'. But, he does appear to be driving the bus. And now, it looks like the US might 'recapitalise' rather than just 'detoxify'.

If/when we bumble out of this hole, then he'll still be missing some levers to get us out of slump (as he is spent out, and he can't *reduce* our taxation now can he?).
And he has to go to the polls in 18 months or so.
But, he can be seen to be driving the bus (its what he is paid for).

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
no they're both C U N T S , this plan was engineered by UBS consultants to the treasury and the bank of england , he had f*** all to do with drafting it and as usual he's trying to take credit for something he does not deserve,a bit like the conomy for the past eleven years.

I've very relieved to learn from bushy that the strategy has been developed by financial experts, working to a brief, rather than politicians.

Brown deserves the credit, though, for getting the brief set out in a way that puts the interests of savers, homeowners and the economy above those of the financial institutions and the fat cats.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Both EU and now US copying Browns recapitalisation of banks.

I not his greatest fan, and i think hes doing an ok job. But am a little worried by the recapitalisation of banks. Governments taking over banks is never a good thing. Espesialy (sp) when we are paying for it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Stepping up to the mark now I think.

Tell you something if he wasnt in charge during this crisis and Cameron was handling it....we'd be even more screwed

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Stepping up to the mark now I think.

Tell you something if he wasnt in charge during this crisis and Cameron was handling it....we'd be even more screwed
why ? tell me what he would have done differently to the genius that is gordon brown ? as my above post its not browns plan in the first f***ing place.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
why ? tell me what he would have done differently to the genius that is gordon brown ? as my above post its not browns plan in the first f***ing place.

Politicians dont actually draft the nitty grtty of plans, thats the job of Civil Servants. Infact Civil Servants would have given Gordon Brown a whole host of different plans.

But Gordon chose the appropraite plan to take, so its his neck which is on the line if this doesn't work. So he should at least be given credit for that. As someone said he is now driving the bus.

As for Cameron? Well we dont know what he would have done. But an interesting interview with Norman Lamont. Remember him, the chancellor when Britain was humiliatingly ejected out of the ERM. Well, when asked if Gordons plan was a good one, Norman replied no. He wasn't a fan of state intervention and that it should be left to the markets.

So under dear old Norman, we may as well all have jumped the from the nearest ledge. The link with David Cameron, is that Cameron was Normans then parliamentary aide. I wonder what Camerons judgement was during that crisis?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Politicians dont actually draft the nitty grtty of plans, thats the job of Civil Servants. Infact Civil Servants would have given Gordon Brown a whole host of different plans.

But Gordon chose the appropraite plan to take, so its his neck which is on the line if this doesn't work. So he should at least be given credit for that. As someone said he is now driving the bus.

As for Cameron? Well we dont know what he would have done. But an interesting interview with Norman Lamont. Remember him, the chancellor when Britain was humiliatingly ejected out of the ERM. Well, when asked if Gordons plan was a good one, Norman replied no. He wasn't a fan of state intervention and that it should be left to the markets.

So under dear old Norman, we may as well all have jumped the from the nearest ledge. The link with David Cameron, is that Cameron was Normans then parliamentary aide. I wonder what Camerons judgement was during that crisis?

I prefer The Free Market when posible too though. If banks are not good at business they should go bust just like any other business. BUT, its different with banks i agree, our money and all that.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Brown has done extremely well - he appears to have come to the fore when the country and, it would appear, the world needed someone to do so.

Cameron would have been a quivering mess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here