Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you been impressed with Gordon Brown?

Have you been impressed with Gordon Brown during the financial crisis

• Yes, showed firm leadership

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • No, its all his fault anyway

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Fence. Gordon Brown, wasn't that a Stranglers song

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The financial markets were deregulated it the eighties we are now paying for that,
Listen to George Soros.
True, but the fact remains that people have lived it up on money that isn't their's for over a decade by borrowing against equity in an overvalued property market.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
so can i also blame him for
a) pension deficits
b) transport
c) the nhs
d) iraq & afghanistan and troops dying because of treasury cuts to equipment budgets
e) education
d) rise in violent crime
e) immigration and any other problems ? because as you said , he runs the country .
Yes you can. But what you can't do is blame him for everything that's gone wrong and not give credit where it's undoubtedly due such as in this fairly obvious case. In my opinion, it just discredits your viewpoint if you're going to irrationally finger-point at every turn.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I'm about as impressed as I would be by a firefighter who deliberately set fire to a school full of children and then claimed to be a hero for rescuing them.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yes you can. But what you can't do is blame him for everything that's gone wrong and not give credit where it's undoubtedly due such as in this fairly obvious case. In my opinion, it just discredits your viewpoint if you're going to irrationally finger-point at every turn.
i take your point to an extent, anyway we shouldnt argue too much, i believe there is a drink arranged for thursday ??!!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Brown is however being niave if he thinks the lenders will play fair with the customers which is a condition of the bail out. My worry is that the bail out will save the Banks skins and the executives fat salaries and pensions and will not filter down to the paying man on the street.

Let me give you one example. Last week the BOE cut interest rates by 0.5% to help the pressure. Abbey had tracker deals at 0.79% above the bank base rate. What did they do ?. They withdrew these rates immediately and re launched them at 1.29% above the bank base rate negating the saving to the new borrowers and ensuring the only people who benefitted where Abbey and Santander as their profit margin increased over night. SHAMEFUL.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not particularly impressed, its what any armchair economicst thought was going to happen. in fact i was shocked when i realised the US hadnt done this, but had just taken the toxic debt with no form of capital involment to balance.

So given his background in economics and experience at the exchequer, its reasonable to expect him to sort this out. now, how will he do with the meat and drink non-economic issues in the coming months? we he for instance continue to dick about with the 42 day issue? will we still have to pay for an £8billion ID card scheme and a £10billion internet surveillance database? will the stated targets of reducing poverty actually be address first?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here