Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have you been impressed with Gordon Brown?

Have you been impressed with Gordon Brown during the financial crisis

• Yes, showed firm leadership

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • No, its all his fault anyway

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Fence. Gordon Brown, wasn't that a Stranglers song

Votes: 7 11.7%

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is Brown's turning point for sure. Whilst he lost his way a bit he is now acting like a leader AND a true statesman. Economics is his domain and it is really showing now. It is also allowing him to move from Blair's shadow.

Whilst things will be tough for a while yet I think that the new era for banking will actually be better for the public. This is a golden opportunity to reign in the excesses of banking and capitalism.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would also like to suggest that all those who voted against the carpet-baggers Building Society de-mutualisations raise a glass to yourselves and say 'I was right'.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
This is Brown's turning point for sure. Whilst he lost his way a bit he is now acting like a leader AND a true statesman. Economics is his domain and it is really showing now. It is also allowing him to move from Blair's shadow.

Whilst things will be tough for a while yet I think that the new era for banking will actually be better for the public. This is a golden opportunity to reign in the excesses of banking and capitalism.

The problem for Brown is that it could take 5 odd years (maybe longer) to fix this world ressesion. He needs it fixed by the next election. Can i just bring you up on the staesman thing. Did you see the EU sumet picture? French Pres and German Chanceller at the front centre and Brown at the back on the right? That says something to me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
no they're both C U N T S , this plan was engineered by UBS consultants to the treasury and the bank of england , he had f*** all to do with drafting it and as usual he's trying to take credit for something he does not deserve,a bit like the conomy for the past eleven years.

Brown runs the country, Brown chose the consultants, Brown chose to run with the plan, Brown executed the plan. He gets the credit. Simple.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
The problem for Brown is that it could take 5 odd years (maybe longer) to fix this world ressesion. He needs it fixed by the next election. Can i just bring you up on the staesman thing. Did you see the EU sumet picture? French Pres and German Chanceller at the front centre and Brown at the back on the right? That says something to me.

That picture says the opposite. He shouldn't have been there as it was a meeting of those countries that have adoipted the Euro, which of course we haven't. The fact that Gordon was specifically invited says a lot about him and his plan.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I also have been very impressed with him of late, but its a bit 'poacher turned gamekeeper'.

He says that after all this is settled he will go after the Bankers that got us in this mess, with their massive bonuses. What he neglects to mention is that he was Chancellor over this entire period and should have controlled things then.

You could use the analogy of the Falklands and Thatcher, which is quite a good analogy because after the fact...

1) Everyone forgot how unpopular her party was before

2) No-one was interested that when the dust settled, it turned out that her policies has made it much easier for the Argentinians to invade in the first place.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
That picture says the opposite. He shouldn't have been there as it was a meeting of those countries that have adoipted the Euro, which of course we haven't. The fact that Gordon was specifically invited says a lot about him and his plan.

If that is true (i dont doubt it) then yes i guess it does. I thought it was a EU thing. But just for my on satifaction i will look it up. :thumbsup:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Brown runs the country, Brown chose the consultants, Brown chose to run with the plan, Brown executed the plan. He gets the credit. Simple.
so can i also blame him for
a) pension deficits
b) transport
c) the nhs
d) iraq & afghanistan and troops dying because of treasury cuts to equipment budgets
e) education
d) rise in violent crime
e) immigration and any other problems ? because as you said , he runs the country .

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
so can i also blame him for
a) pension deficits
b) transport
c) the nhs
d) iraq & afghanistan and troops dying because of treasury cuts to equipment budgets
e) education
d) rise in violent crime
e) immigration and any other problems ? because as you said , he runs the country .

You forgot TAX :yahoo:

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
You could use the analogy of the Falklands and Thatcher, which is quite a good analogy because after the fact...

1) Everyone forgot how unpopular her party was before

2) No-one was interested that when the dust settled, it turned out that her policies has made it much easier for the Argentinians to invade in the first place.

Yep, gullible lot the British voters.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
The Falkland analogy might be a bit harder to sell. With The Falklands there was a decisive victory. With this financial crisis we are still heading for a recession. Maybe it might be milder and if recovery looks to be taking hold, then who knows whether it will save Browns and Labours bacon. Still 18 months to go until a General election.

On what seemed like a foregone conclusion a few weeks back, might not be the case now. Be interesting what the opinion polls say over the next week or so.

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
True - but he's to blame for failing to regulate lending in the first place. Too many people have warned him that the economy has been based on credit and now it's chickens coming home to roost.

The financial markets were deregulated it the eighties we are now paying for that,
Listen to George Soros.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here