Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have We Wrestled Back Control of Our City From the Premiership Plastics?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
why not read the post and think about what it says instead of immediately taking umbrage, its about the hypocrisy of certain posters , not my attitude towards new supporters.

There was no 'immediate' response, indeed I read it three times to make sure I was understanding the context in which it was written. Knee jerk commenting/replying isn't really my forte, so if I have misunderstood you I apologise. I hope I have to be honest as I have been enjoying an NSC thread of rare positivity and optimism.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
very different. We are talking about reclaiming a lost generation of fans from Sussex. We have every right as we are a Sussex team and unlike chelsea are only interested in our locality. Also my chelsea mate has a season ticket at the Amex and uses the term our fans as he happens to live in Hove. You have always come across as a sound guy but I don't know why you bother so much with this board with comments like that
brighton are my local club and i want them to do well, i'm massively dsillusioned with premiership football or at least the way it is at chelsea, you talk about reclaiming a generation of lost fans from sussex, how can you automatically assume that all the jcl's at chelsea arent from london ?

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
There was no 'immediate' response, indeed I read it three times to make sure I was understanding the context in which it was written. Knee jerk commenting/replying isn't really my forte, so if I have misunderstood you I apologise. I hope I have to be honest as I have been enjoying an NSC thread of rare positivity and optimism.
please dont misunderstand me either, i dont want to come across as dismissive of brightons recent success , i've followed brightons fortunes all the time ive lived in sussex and love them to do well, a small part of me wants them to have a dip in form so that there are spare season tickets for sale next season and i would be a jcl like a shot !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The hypocrisy on this thread is incredible Chelsea get rich new owner and a large number of jcl's / plastics which is totally ad utterly indisputable, brighton get rich new owner and a large number of jcl's/plastics and they are according to the hypocrites on here " new supporters", do me a favour, if the albion slip down to league one and languish in the doldrums like chelsea did for years ( hopefully not) , your " new supporters" would very quickly become lapsed supporters.
I think the difference between you and those on here is that Chelsea appear to have abandoned people in areas where their support was a tradition in favour of chasing the Asian dollar, taking the brand to friendlies in the USA and chargin £50 a ticket.

We are simply relieved that there are more fans in OUR tradiional areas of support (Sussex) and importantly are once again competing against what we perceive to be similar sized provincial clubs. But I for one can tell you I would be every bit as disillusioned as you obviously feel if it got to the stage where our support was considerably more widespread and local or long standing fans could no longer get to watch the team regularly.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I think the difference between you and those on here is that Chelsea appear to have abandoned people in areas where their support was a tradition in favour of chasing the Asian dollar, taking the brand to friendlies in the USA and chargin £50 a ticket.

We are simply relieved that there are more fans in OUR tradiional areas of support (Sussex) and importantly are once again competing against what we perceive to be similar sized provincial clubs. But I for one can tell you I would be every bit as disillusioned as you obviously feel if it got to the stage where our support was considerably more widespread and local or long standing fans could no longer get to watch the team regularly.
you've pretty much hit the nail on the head there .

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Loads more Albion shirts than before in the coaching sessions I've done and seen.

A lot of them say they support someone else as well but it's a start I guess.

That's perfectly allowable. Very few of us do not have a sneaking regard for another club. Mine is Partick Thistle for example.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I recall that when in the permiership, charlton Athletic (FFS!!!) offered cheap subsidised transport from lots of places in Sussex to their home games in a blatant attempt to poach / attract new fans from Sussex when fans could not / would not go to Withdean. I think we have every right to see the evidence of more people in BHA regalia in its home county as a renaissance of a wonderful club

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Hopefully it will be the kids wearing the Man U and Chelski tops in Sussex schools who get the grief from their Albion supporting peers instead of the other way round as it was a few years ago.

seagull1981

Blue & White Forever
Aug 8, 2010
Used to go to all the Albion footie courses when I was younger and I would be the only one with Blue & White and the odd time when I had the privilege of another fellow Seagull!

Now when i go to pick up my little brother It's the other way around with talk of championship instead of top 4, champions league and Rooney!

GREAT times! :albion2::albion2::albion2:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
When i pop down to Worthing to see my old man i often ask my sisters what teams her friends at college now support. A few years ago it would always be man u or Chelsea now 90% of them are BHA.

Tony Bloom has done a lot but i really think all the work done by Dick and Martin were the stepping stones...

I also believe the impact of the new stadium coinciding with the promotion created a huge catalyst for this transformation.

It was a real tragedy when once upon a time you would spend a whole Saturday in Brighton without seeing a BHA shirt.... Brighton in their own right should have a huge following and there is no doubt in my mind that they will be a premiership side in the next 5 or so years and here will be the next huge step to reclaiming the last few football fans...

I can't think of many other clubs with as bright a future as BHA other than hhhmmmm SPURS :)

Oct 25, 2003
i think the job that RUSSELL SLADE did at the club is often overlooked.....keeping us up that season was so crucial to the future of the club

had we gone down that year there is no way we would've got gus.....we'd probably still be in league 2 or mid table league 1 and be struggling to fill the amex (would we have even got amex as sponsors) the take up for the corporate seats and 1901 would've been lower also

the stadium would've been a success eventually, but this initial SURGE that we've seen this season wouldn't have happened imo

it's a shame it didn't work out for slade in the following season, but like i said...no slade, no gus

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Well living in the Brighton suburbs of Yorkshire I have also noticed growing Albion support on show. Loving it.

Also seeing an increase in Lincolnshire this season.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
i think the job that RUSSELL SLADE did at the club is often overlooked.....keeping us up that season was so crucial to the future of the club

had we gone down that year there is no way we would've got gus.....we'd probably still be in league 2 or mid table league 1 and be struggling to fill the amex (would we have even got amex as sponsors) the take up for the corporate seats and 1901 would've been lower also

the stadium would've been a success eventually, but this initial SURGE that we've seen this season wouldn't have happened imo

it's a shame it didn't work out for slade in the following season, but like i said...no slade, no gus

Indeed. Russell did a terrific job. A classic bit of firefighting for which we should still be grateful.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Not all are turning blue & white...When I was waiting in the queue on George Street earlier, I heard some bloke saying "whats the point in queuing up we're gonna beat them Sunday" at which point I explained that he was in Hove and not Liverpool and that he should be supporting his local team...He grunted something in Cockney which I couldn't understand and a few of us laughed at us him...Sad git!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Not all are turning blue & white...When I was waiting in the queue on George Street earlier, I heard some bloke saying "whats the point in queuing up we're gonna beat them Sunday" at which point I explained that he was in Hove and not Liverpool and that he should be supporting his local team...He grunted something in Cockney which I couldn't understand and a few of us laughed at us him...Sad git!
thats sad. Got a mate born in lewisham... grown up in SW london and a huge man u fan to the point that he lives in he man u shell suits...:nono: at least support a southern team

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
thats sad. Got a mate born in lewisham... grown up in SW london and a huge man u fan to the point that he lives in he man u shell suits...:nono: at least support a southern team

We've all got a "mate" that supports man u, but a SHELLSUIT - you know you can choose your friends?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here