Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have We Wrestled Back Control of Our City From the Premiership Plastics?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
This is what REALLY annoys me about this whole JCL thing. On one hand people are desperate to convert the Chelsea's, the Man U's etc but on the other hand they get called a JCL for doing so! The more kids/adults spending money in the club shop and ditching their Nike shit the better. I have said for months that it is a beautiful site and LONG may it continue! JCL's all welcome!

Not sure SuperBez. Seems to me that most references on NSC these days are from new supporters apologising for being JCLs. Haven't seen the term used by the self-satisfied minority for some time. I may be wrong of course.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
You're not a JCL, you're a new supporter and most level headed fans and club will welcome you and all others that are put down by a minority. JCL is a name made up by self important non entities.

Never a truer post has been read, Too much had been made of this JCL tag, All supporters welcome the more the merrier !

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
imagesCAXSJ6BL.jpg

I feel sorry for these kids...

Next thing we will see starving kids in Africa in fake Albion kits!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No need to be precious about the JCL "insult", chaps. I only ever recall it being used in the context of ticket prioritising, and people who have been doing aways for years feeling short changed for being behind "JCLs" in their first season of STHing. I don't think anyone wants us to go back to the days of 7,000 at home and it being a struggle to find Albion shirts in our own town.

Back to the point and I'm not in the slightest bit surprised that this has happened. I've seen this happen in Southampton when St Marys got built. Imo, they used to be smaller than Pompey and arguably had a smaller fan base than us in the early 80s. Now the idea of Southampton being smaller than Pompey is completely laughable.

But what I am surprised at in our case is just how quickly this has happened. We're suddenly a decent sized Championship club again. And its not just kids in their colours. There are people who have never been that bothered about the Albion or the game that are getting involved. I think people like a local feel-good story in these difficult times. It's going to be interesting to see how the club gets on with filling 30,000 seats. If they do, we will be a proper big club for sure.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
But what I am surprised at in our case is just how quickly this has happened. We're suddenly a decent sized Championship club again. And its not just kids in their colours. There are people who have never been that bothered about the Albion or the game that are getting involved. I think people like a local feel-good story in these difficult times. It's going to be interesting to see how the club gets on with filling 30,000 seats. If they do, we will be a proper big club for sure.

Totally agree. I have so many friends around my age (26) who now just come to the Albion every week. They're turning from Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc, to BRIGHTON fans. At first I think it was a case of just come along for 30 quid a month to see some football at a new stadium, but now, with the help of Mr. Will Buckley and co, they care more about the Albion than the teams in the PL that they went to see once on their 10th birthday. I'm seeing shirts, hats and bumper stickers all over Sussex now!

I think the club have done an incredible job in getting people here and long may it continue.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Its the same in Haywards Heath
Today I have travelled the length and breadth of this fine city (well almost) and it's been BHA all the way, from young kids in Albion tops on North Street, to an old boy on a bicycle in a retro BHA ski hat to a builder stepping into his van sporting a BHA baseball cap, numerous parked cars with Albion window stickers, and the highlight - a father and two young sons all resplendent in Albion tops (home and away on show) playing 'jumpers for goalposts' on a field off Carden Avenue.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Totally agree. I have so many friends around my age (26) who now just come to the Albion every week. They're turning from Man United, Liverpool, Chelsea etc, to BRIGHTON fans. At first I think it was a case of just come along for 30 quid a month to see some football at a new stadium, but now, with the help of Mr. Will Buckley and co, they care more about the Albion than the teams in the PL that they went to see once on their 10th birthday. I'm seeing shirts, hats and bumper stickers all over Sussex now!

I think the club have done an incredible job in getting people here and long may it continue.
I still struggle to accept that the club gives kids in Gully's Gang an Albion SHIRT for FREE on their 7th birthday. Expensive but incredible foresight.

I love stories like those of your mates turning into Albion fans, and find it hilarious that Palace fans consider this a source of amusement while they rattle around in their comedy 1980s stadium in front of 12,000 taking our cast offs.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Let's not forget that due to archer & co and our enforced moves out of Brighton and then the limitations of with dean, we lost a whole generation of fans as well as a fair proportion of fans who either couldn't make it to gillingham or lost interest due to how crap we were back then. It was a difficult time to keep any but the hardcore fans who fought tooth and nail to save the club. I don't agree with the JCL label or the palace fans claiming we have loads of plastic fans, that's simply not the case we are just reclaiming fans we lost to our crap past and getting new ones because we are now the favoured choice of local kids. Our huge catchment area now seems to be paying dividends and I'm serious when I say that it is unlikely that palace will ever again average better attendances than us whilst in the same division.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
The hypocrisy on this thread is incredible Chelsea get rich new owner and a large number of jcl's / plastics which is totally ad utterly indisputable, brighton get rich new owner and a large number of jcl's/plastics and they are according to the hypocrites on here " new supporters", do me a favour, if the albion slip down to league one and languish in the doldrums like chelsea did for years ( hopefully not) , your " new supporters" would very quickly become lapsed supporters.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The hypocrisy on this thread is incredible Chelsea get rich new owner and a large number of jcl's / plastics which is totally ad utterly indisputable, brighton get rich new owner and a large number of jcl's/plastics and they are according to the hypocrites on here " new supporters", do me a favour, if the albion slip down to league one and languish in the doldrums like chelsea did for years ( hopefully not) , your " new supporters" would very quickly become lapsed supporters.

I see Chelsea are doing 'a Fulham' on FA Cup tickets for Saturday against Birmingham - being advertised in The Metro newspaper. With us finally able to reclaim all the plastic 'Sussex Blues' Stamford Bridge may never be full again.
:)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Let's not forget that due to archer & co and our enforced moves out of Brighton and then the limitations of with dean, we lost a whole generation of fans as well as a fair proportion of fans who either couldn't make it to gillingham or lost interest due to how crap we were back then. It was a difficult time to keep any but the hardcore fans who fought tooth and nail to save the club. I don't agree with the JCL label or the palace fans claiming we have loads of plastic fans, that's simply not the case we are just reclaiming fans we lost to our crap past and getting new ones because we are now the favoured choice of local kids. Our huge catchment area now seems to be paying dividends and I'm serious when I say that it is unlikely that palace will ever again average better attendances than us whilst in the same division.

Very good post.

I love your refreshing, forward thinking and open embrace towards new supporters. You should be commended! What would the club do without your vision?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I see Chelsea are doing 'a Fulham' on FA Cup tickets for Saturday against Birmingham - being advertised in The Metro newspaper. With us finally able to reclaim all the plastic 'Sussex Blues' Stamford Bridge may never be full again.
:)

To be fair, you cannot really blame totally the 'big' clubs for the influx of support they have received, good marketing yes but the same can be said of the Brighton marketing towards Sussex, but parents that encourage their kids and Sky have played their part to play too.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Very good post.

I love your refreshing, forward thinking and open embrace towards new supporters. You should be commended! What would the club do without your vision?
why not read the post and think about what it says instead of immediately taking umbrage, its about the hypocrisy of certain posters , not my attitude towards new supporters.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove

very different. We are talking about reclaiming a lost generation of fans from Sussex. We have every right as we are a Sussex team and unlike chelsea are only interested in our locality. Also my chelsea mate has a season ticket at the Amex and uses the term our fans as he happens to live in Hove. You have always come across as a sound guy but I don't know why you bother so much with this board with comments like that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here