Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Have we had a more tiresome bunch of visiting fans than FCUM?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
... but it makes me laugh how some people act as though they're the first person to think of these questions. We've been answering them for five years.

Perhaps its because many people haven't given your enterprise any thought over the past 5 years, and it's only our present misfortune to have run into your bandwagon that brings it, albeit briefly, to our attention?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Lets play spot the difference:

FCUM have a reduced entitlement to Withdean despite it being half empty due to 'behaviour' of their fans. NSC tut-tuts and agrees with the club in stopping these Northerners getting ideas above their station, despite no evidence that they will actually cause any trouble.

The FA advise the Albion that OUR away allocations may be reduced due to recent behaviour issues by fans. NSC goes into binfest of righteous indignation, and harks on about there's nothing wrong with lighting flares, refusing to sit where allocated, fighting amongst our own fans and throwing coins onto the pitch (the latter of course caused by the recent recession as prior to that we used to throw notes), as it's all part of the noble game.

Absolutely spot on El Pres. But that's nothing compared to the binfest that will happen if we draw Arsenal, Manchester City, etc, in the third round and the FA reduce our allocation to 3000 because of the behaviour of our fans. And priority will be given to Gold members (and from next season 1901 Club members), meaning that all the "I go to all the away games" brigade will be up in arms. Before we get too high and mighty towards the FCUM fans we need to look at our own previous form; remember the Tottenham and West Ham binfests. And always for some reason, there is an element of scumbags who have to ruin such games for others: West Ham, Charlton, the time we played Southampton under McGhee. Always the big games - perhaps that is why I am starting to enjoy away games up in your neck of the woods more; a few hundred, committed Albion fans, who get on well and can sort out the sitting/standing question between them.

Plus, remember we've got a game to play yet. We seem to be suggesting a walkover. On the form of the last 4 games I'm not so sure.

Last edited:

manctofu

Nov 18, 2010
Perhaps its because many people haven't given your enterprise any thought over the past 5 years, and it's only our present misfortune to have run into your bandwagon that brings it, albeit briefly, to our attention?

Oh I agree, I know we're not the centre of the bloody universe. It's up to us to respond to what are pretty fair questions. It's the 'try and get out of that one!' attitude that we constantly get presented with that makes me chuckle.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Oh I agree, I know we're not the centre of the bloody universe. It's up to us to respond to what are pretty fair questions. It's the 'try and get out of that one!' attitude that we constantly get presented with that makes me chuckle.

I only asked, because if, God forbid, BHA ever folded or somehow lost my 39 year long affections... I would go and support my local side (which is probably Crawley) rather than try and set up a new one. Still, feel free to chuckle to yourself if that makes you feel good.

manctofu

Nov 18, 2010
I only asked, because if, God forbid, BHA ever folded or somehow lost my 39 year long affections... I would go and support my local side (which is probably Crawley) rather than try and set up a new one. Still, feel free to chuckle to yourself if that makes you feel good.

I presume you're from Crawley then? If not, I refer you to my earlier post. I have no affinity with Bury, Rochdale, Stockport, Oldham, Altrincham and so on because I was born, raised and live in Manchester. I could no more support them than I could support Hull, Bournemouth or Wolves.

In any case, can you explain why it's so wrong to form a new club? From the late 19th century and throughout the 20th, new teams were formed. Was there a cut-off date? If so, I'm unaware of it. Liverpool FC was formed as a breakaway from Everton, Inter was formed as a breakaway from Milan AC.

As I said earlier, we've always been criticised for supposedly not being from Manchester, yet now we get told we should have supported a non-Manchester team. It doesn't add up. But keep throwing flimsy, confused arguments at me if it makes you feel good.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I presume you're from Crawley then? If not, I refer you to my earlier post. I have no affinity with Bury, Rochdale, Stockport, Oldham, Altrincham and so on because I was born, raised and live in Manchester. I could no more support them than I could support Hull, Bournemouth or Wolves.

In any case, can you explain why it's so wrong to form a new club? From the late 19th century and throughout the 20th, new teams were formed. Was there a cut-off date? If so, I'm unaware of it. Liverpool FC was formed as a breakaway from Everton, Inter was formed as a breakaway from Milan AC.

As I said earlier, we've always been criticised for supposedly not being from Manchester, yet now we get told we should have supported a non-Manchester team. It doesn't add up. But keep throwing flimsy, confused arguments at me if it makes you feel good.

You can presume what you like... you're not correct though.

OK, so you don't want to support a nearby football league club... are there no non-league teams in Manchester that would benefit from a boost in support?

It just smacks of self-importance to set your own club up, when there are plenty of well-established teams around.

Anyway, whatever, it really doesn't matter to me... hope you enjoy the game at the weekend.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Anyway, whatever, it really doesn't matter to me... hope you enjoy the game at the weekend.

it obviously DOES matter to you when you've replied 5 times in this thread......either that or your job is mega boring :thumbsup:

cattlin'srockshop

Nov 15, 2007
where no-one can find me
Potential problems appear to have been created where none existed. Making FCUM category C on the basis of a few people on the pitch at Rochdale and a flare, which was roundly condemend by their other fans in the ground IIRC, seems a massive overreaction. It has been pointed out to me (and I agree) that the 845 will be club members I should think and it is unlikely to be a problem, which will give people the chance to say you police FCUM by making them cat C or they'll have lots of fans in our ends and the bad feeling that seems to be building up will lead to antagonism and maybe fighting. Therefore the auths and club and many on here will say, there you go knew they'd be trouble.

Not sure football or the Albion or FCUM will come out of this as winners, esp as we have a cut to our allocation threatened for poor behaviour in recent weeks.

I was really looking forward to playing them, now I just hope it goes off without trouble.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

OK, so you don't want to support a nearby football league club... are there no non-league teams in Manchester that would benefit from a boost in support?

It just smacks of self-importance to set your own club up, when there are plenty of well-established teams around.

They don't support local Manchester non-league sides for the same reason - they wouldn't be 'theirs'. It's much the same argument as working for a big multi-national and then decididng to set yourself up in business. - you could go and work for another smaller local company but it wouldn't be your own.

And another argument: if Portsmouth and Palace fans decided they could no longer support their own clubs (perhaps because of all the cheating) would you really want an extra, say, 10,000 of their fans suddenly descending on us? Far better they form their own teams than swamping us IMO.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
... and a third argument - supporting another team wouldn't make the point. All the while FCUM exist they are a small sign of dissent against the mega-corporate, multi-national money factory approach of top Premiership sides. If the fans had just disappeared and spread themselves amongst local non-league sides that small sign wouldn't exist.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
... and a third argument - supporting another team wouldn't make the point. All the while FCUM exist they are a small sign of dissent against the mega-corporate, multi-national money factory approach of top Premiership sides. If the fans had just disappeared and spread themselves amongst local non-league sides that small sign wouldn't exist.

so in other words, FCUM are a bunch of Hippies making a stand against "The Man" :thumbsup:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
You can presume what you like... you're not correct though.

My tuppeny worth

Personally, I think its a good idea to set up your own team ( certainly a better idea than Franchise ) But if you do, then that is your own team. In this case it appears that the fans have created a MANU part deux. Linking the name, calling yourself ERICTHERED, this sort of thing. Telling everyone you are the True ManU fans and the objective of the club being to drive people away from OT and cutting off an income feed from the Glaziers, which being brutally honest has failed miserably whne you see that OT is full every week and there are waiting lists for ST's In fact, I am sure if they could they would call themselves Real Manchester United and play in the United colours.
That is the difference to someone like AFC Wimbledon etc.

As I say, I have nothing against FCUM per say, you are just another non league side to play ( and probably lose to) but some of your tosser fans giving it billy big bollocks is not really justified is it?

Tom V

Nov 19, 2010

This is pretty much why i watch FC United. I am against modern football but not just the premier league. You see it in every level of football in this country, where a business man buys a club just to turn an easy profit whilst showing total disregard for the fans who make him that profit by buying merchandise and tickets. I would say there is a 50/50 split of FC United fans that are there against modern football and because of the glazer takeover. Many of the people that were there at the start have gone back to Old Trafford and that is shown from our first season average attendances (3500) to the average attendance now (1700). I think that english clubs should be forced to operate like german clubs where a minimum of 51% must be owned by fans. This still allows for significant investment whilst giving the fans control of the club and ensuring that they can not be taken advantage of for the benefit of a single person or consortium

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This is pretty much why i watch FC United. I am against modern football but not just the premier league. You see it in every level of football in this country, where a business man buys a club just to turn an easy profit whilst showing total disregard for the fans who make him that profit by buying merchandise and tickets. I would say there is a 50/50 split of FC United fans that are there against modern football and because of the glazer takeover. Many of the people that were there at the start have gone back to Old Trafford and that is shown from our first season average attendances (3500) to the average attendance now (1700). I think that english clubs should be forced to operate like german clubs where a minimum of 51% must be owned by fans. This still allows for significant investment whilst giving the fans control of the club and ensuring that they can not be taken advantage of for the benefit of a single person or consortium

Ok i see that, but why , if you hate everything about MANU , didn't you call yourself something completely different like Manchester Rovers? or Mancherster Wednestday? Manchester Rangers?

Tom V

Nov 19, 2010
Ok i see that, but why , if you hate everything about MANU , didn't you call yourself something completely different like Manchester Rovers? or Mancherster Wednestday? Manchester Rangers?

Because i hate the way Man Utd are ran by the Glazer family, I don't hate the club itself. All i have done is withdraw my financial support for the club and started to watch FC United. Slowly i have become more and more passionate about FC United and resigned myself to the fact that the only people that could ever purchase Man Utd now are business men who are purely thare for financial gain and who will show the same disregard for the fans as the Glazer family do.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Totally agree. Most of the twattery on these FCUM threads is from our own support. It's f***ing embarrassing.

with 23,000 posts surely you would've noticed long ago that NSC bodes some of the most bizarre BHA fans on the planet? no? :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here