Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Re: Re: Re: Hateful creeping Americanisms part 2944

Moshe Gariani said:
:angry:

"soda" is an abbreviation for "soda water"

e.g. "a pint of lime and soda please"

there is no need for us to start calling all fizzy drinks "soda" just because the yanks do

The first time I went to the US, I asked for a soda and was baffled to be asked what flavour: the vendor and I had a brief period of mutual incomprehension before I understood what he was getting at.

Still haven't worked out what they call 'soda'

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I have a feeling that 'fanny pack' isn't going to cross the atlantic too quickly but pants seems to be used more and more for trousers when it's obviously the things you wear underneath them

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Re: Re: Re: Hateful creeping Americanisms part 2944

Moshe Gariani said:
a "truck" is something used on railway lines - the large road vehicle to which you refer is called a lorry

To an American a truck is a rather widely used term. It can be anything from a pick up to an eighteen wheeler, what we would call an artic. This term can also include SUVs, a term invented by the Americans. The irony is that the original purpose built SUV was in fact the Range Rover. The first American SUVs were nothing more than a pick up with a compartment grafted on the the bed.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hateful creeping Americanisms part 2944

Gwylan said:
Still haven't worked out what they call 'soda'
It's just a generic term for fizzy drink - coke, grape soda, lemonade are all sodas. My American boss tells me that in the midwest they call them "pop".

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Al Bion said:
I have a feeling that 'fanny pack' isn't going to cross the atlantic too quickly but pants seems to be used more and more for trousers when it's obviously the things you wear underneath them

Those would be shorts for men and for women, instead of knickers they wear 'underpants'.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Never mind all this..........what about when gay meant happy,and some parents used the word as a name?

Now gay means something else,I'm told.

We live in queer times,and no mistake!

Have a nice day,y'hear?

Up the Albion!

Lush

Mods' Pet
Moshe Gariani said:
rampant rather than creeping...

almost daily observations now

yesterday at the petrol station bakers - daft bint infront of me in the queue "Can I GET a croissant?" - received the great response of "Yes, it is self-service!"

I blame Friends for this one. And there's no sign of please or thank you as Ms Aniston orders her anorexic latte in Central Perk. And no you can't have it "to go" but you can have it to "to take away". :angry:

Have to admit though that "Please Can I Have A Witness" doesn't sound right.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Uncle Spielberg said:
The next time Patrick Kielty says when he introduces someone " give it up for " I am going to drive to the studio and ram a large Aubergine up his arse :angry:

Eggplant. You're going to shove an over-sized eggplant up his sorry ass.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As long as it is painful who cares

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: Hateful creeping Americanisms part 2944

Americans seem completely unable to pronounce the word 'Vehicle', prefering instead to call it a Vaheerhical which is the rootin intootinest darndest thing i ever did hear.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Neither can your sort in Ireland...

"a red veHikle was seen speeding away from the incident"

Usually shortlly before telling us that the items in it were of "sentimental value"

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hateful creeping Americanisms part 2944

Collar Feeler said:
Americans seem completely unable to pronounce the word 'Vehicle', prefering instead to call it a Vaheerhical which is the rootin intootinest darndest thing i ever did hear.

Also the word athlete comes out as athherlete.
They make a big point of emphasizing the letter H, then leaving it out all together in the word herb.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
An while we are at it... what the hell is AL-OO-ME-NUM ? It's AL-U-MIN-EE-UM thank you :angry:

And OK it's not ALL Americans, but PLEASE can you teach your President to say 'nuclear'... it's not 'newkiller' you dumb ass. :angry:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Don't forget that famous British car maker now owned by Ford, Jagwaur. And I do hear they make nice dishes using Woorchestershyer Sauce. And of course, let us not forget the Tomayetoe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here