Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hateful creeping Americanisms part 2944

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
whatever...

news on the beeb goes worldwide, so i guess they need to generalisze(?!) it more..

what irked me was when they decided not to have the presenters wear poppies arounf Remembrance Day, as that was apparantl not a global thing, so non UK viewers may get confused?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Titanic said:
Anyway guys, I have to take a rain-check on this thread, collect the car from the lot and pop down to the gas station.

While down the gas station maybes you could get someone to check under the hood. Hey, and you could put any groceries you buy there in the trunk.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
rampant rather than creeping...

almost daily observations now

yesterday at the petrol station bakers - daft bint infront of me in the queue "Can I GET a croissant?" - received the great response of "Yes, it is self-service!"

and most of my students now seem to have attended "High School" - what's that all about? :angry:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Drives me f***ing nuts.

I still refuse to acknowledge any date in the mm/dd/yy format, it just doesn't make sense.

I think the reason the terror attacks carried out on London were dated 7th July was to avoid confusion across the Atlantic. We can all understand 7/7, but 9/11 will always be a date in November as far as I'm concerned.

HOWEVER, I must admit I quite like the word sneakers in preference to trainers

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
MYOB said:
But "runners" beats both of them in its pure accuracy, like.
"Pumps" is better still. When's that coming back?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
MYOB said:
But "runners" beats both of them in its pure accuracy, like.

Not really. I've been wearing trainers for the best part of 35 years and I don't think I've ever run in them once. And I rarely train.

I have done a fair amount of sneaking in my time though...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Bluejuice said:
Drives me f***ing nuts.

I still refuse to acknowledge any date in the mm/dd/yy format, it just doesn't make sense.

I think the reason the terror attacks carried out on London were dated 7th July was to avoid confusion across the Atlantic. We can all understand 7/7, but 9/11 will always be a date in November as far as I'm concerned.

HOWEVER, I must admit I quite like the word sneakers in preference to trainers

Actually it does, to an American today is October the 25th 2006 which is 10/25/2006.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Trufflehound said:
Must admit I've never dapped.

you might have but don't know it.

What about plimpsoles, I thought pumps and daps sounded funny.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
bhaexpress said:
Actually it does, to an American today is October the 25th 2006 which is 10/25/2006.
well that's fine for them then...

the 25th of October 2006 will do for me...

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Mate of mine has just come back from a year in NYC and wont stop saying 'awesome' after and before everything.

AIT76

The wisdom of a fool
Jul 29, 2004
Moshe Gariani said:

yesterday at the petrol station bakers - daft bint infront of me in the queue "Can I GET a croissant?" - received the great response of "Yes, it is self-service!"

I once had a conversation with an American about that phrase. Supposedly, if you say "can I have..." rather than "can I get..." then it indicates that you don't intend to pay for whatever it is you just asked for.

Which is totally whacked, if you ask me.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here