Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hateful creeping Americanisms part 2944

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
AIT76 said:
I once had a conversation with an American about that phrase. Supposedly, if you say "can I have..." rather than "can I get..." then it indicates that you don't intend to pay for whatever it is you just asked for.

Which is totally whacked, if you ask me.
very sensible of them to avoid the inevitable confusion caused by our sticking with "Can I have...?" to cover all situations...

what next? with the advent of some toll roads will we soon be driving on freeways?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
AIT76 said:
I once had a conversation with an American about that phrase. Supposedly, if you say "can I have..." rather than "can I get..." then it indicates that you don't intend to pay for whatever it is you just asked for.

I tended to hear 'I need' rather that 'Please could I have'. Please and thank you are not heard that often there I reckon.

Mind you when somebody says 'Thank you' to me I now automatically respond with 'You're welcome'.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Like MoH I'm all for the language evolving, however I'm still trying to accept:

'Upcoming' instead of 'forthcoming'

'After' rather than 'past' when telling the time, e.g. 'ten after eight'

Using 'who is this?' instead of 'who are you?' on the phone. If somebody says 'who is this', then surely they're asking the other person to work out who THEY are?

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Brovian said:
Using 'who is this?' instead of 'who are you?' on the phone. If somebody says 'who is this', then surely they're asking the other person to work out who THEY are?
:lolol: I'd resist rather than try to accept that one...

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
Garry Nelson's Left Foot said:
I say MOVIE instead of film 90% of the time now. :down:

f***! me too

elevator makes an appearance atleast 50% of the time

still say **** though. Yanks don't like that : proud :

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Richard Whiteley said:
f***! me too

elevator makes an appearance atleast 50% of the time

still say **** though. Yanks don't like that : proud :

The 'C' word is pretty taboo I agree.

Richard Whiteley

Sep 24, 2003
AIT76 said:

so why doesn't he say 'Can I buy' then? Stupid twat

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Richard Whiteley said:
so why doesn't he say 'Can I buy' then? Stupid twat

Simply because it should be "MAY I have/buy/purchase?"

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
I'm NOT anti-American at all - very far from it - nor do I think that languages shouldn't evolve, but this blithe one way drift of lazily using an American term instead of a British one gets right on my tits.

So imagine my revulsion when some rather grand doctor on the BBC this morning used the term "drinking soda" when the silly cow meant to say "fizzy drink". I'm still sore about the displacement of the word "lorry" by the word "truck", which is just no better, by saddos who wish they'd been born American.

Stand firm! Repel these invaders!

Nothing wrong with the word "soda". "Fizzy drink" sounds like something a three year old would ask for.

Similarly the word "lorry" conjures up a dinky toy. "Truck" much better describes an effing great vehicle with eighteen wheels.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
The one that seems to have gained universal acceptance and use over here is 'tuxedo', which is an abomination. IT'S A f***ing DINNER JACKET.

I don't care that our name for it is factually incomplete, and could even confuse some stupid people. That's what it's called.

I also hate the pronunciation of the 'c' in 'schedule'. FFS, it's pronounced 'shedule' and that's the end of it.:angry:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Soccer

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The next time Patrick Kielty says when he introduces someone " give it up for " I am going to drive to the studio and ram a large Aubergine up his arse :angry:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Re: Re: Hateful creeping Americanisms part 2944

goldstone said:
Nothing wrong with the word "soda". "Fizzy drink" sounds like something a three year old would ask for.

Similarly the word "lorry" conjures up a dinky toy. "Truck" much better describes an effing great vehicle with eighteen wheels.
:angry:

"soda" is an abbreviation for "soda water"

e.g. "a pint of lime and soda please"

there is no need for us to start calling all fizzy drinks "soda" just because the yanks do

:angry:

a "truck" is something used on railway lines - the large road vehicle to which you refer is called a lorry

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here