Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Graham Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
In financial terms, the players owe you nothing and you owe them nothing.

The whole "supporters support their team and the team does their best to win and play well" is a social contract.

What?

Fans contribute large sums of money that go towards running the club.

The players owe the fans everything because the fans are the lifeblood of the club.

This club might not exist if not for it's fans fighting for it.

Long after the likes of Potter and Cucurella are gone the fans are still there and always will be.

That's something you don't seem to get about this club.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It's a social contract that Chelsea's players aren't fulfilling at the moment, probably because they can't stand their coach.
As I've said before it is quite clear that they (most of them) don't lke the club, each other, the manager and probably not their fans either.

I know their fans and possibly some Brighton fans who are on the whole revisionism train would say "they should of never sacked Tuchel because he was much better and all was rosy" but no one thought that when they lost 3-0 to Leeds or 2-1 to Southampton in the beginning of the season.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As I've said before it is quite clear that they (most of them) don't lke the club, each other, the manager and probably not their fans either.

I know their fans and possibly some Brighton fans who are on the whole revisionism train would say "they should of never sacked Tuchel because he was much better and all was rosy" but no one thought that when they lost 3-0 to Leeds or 2-1 to Southampton in the beginning of the season.
I'm frankly not seeing that from Chelsea fans. Most seem to want Tuchel back, including those who made the long trip to Manchester on a Sunday night in winter with no trains.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
But you manage them right? That's what the best managers do. Manage the big time, big ego players.
I was just calling out his lack of experience. Sometimes I wonder if some players only respect those managers who’ve been big time players themselves. (though appreciate there are successful managers who weren’t big time players but have earned their stripes)

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London

It’s ‘should have’ Swanny - don’t let the Brighton ‘of’ mess with your English.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm frankly not seeing that from Chelsea fans. Most seem to want Tuchel back, including those who made the long trip to Manchester on a Sunday night in winter with no trains.
That's what it was like on 6-0-6 tonight, though.

Admittedly a different pond, from which a different form of life may be available to be fished.

Did I say pond life? Apologies to all decent Chelsea fans out there :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Pep Guardiola last year said that it would be nice if their fans would actually come to their football games.

Few if any were annoyed. Imagine if GP had said the same in a post-game interview.

Graham Potter asked the fans of Brighton to support their team rather than boo it.

Tony Bloom had to urge the fans to support the team. Embarrassing.

Paul Barber had to write in his match programme.

There were boos after RDZs first home game according to people here.

Lewis Dunk after RDZs first or second home game had to speak out in radio and beg people to avoid yelling shit when they tried to play it out from the back.

Maybe gratefulness is a mutual thing. Maybe you have to support the team if you want the manager & players to support you. :shrug:
Harsh but not necessarily unfair. I sense quite a bit of entitlement from our some of our fanbase compared to 20 years ago. Inevitable really. I think it comes with success. A messageboard and a handful of negative people at matches don’t constitute the majority though.

Last edited:

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I wonder if that’s grieving Abramovich more than Tuchel.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What?

Fans contribute large sums of money that go towards running the club.

The players owe the fans everything because the fans are the lifeblood of the club.

This club might not exist if not for it's fans fighting for it.

Long after the likes of Potter and Cucurella are gone the fans are still there and always will be.

That's something you don't seem to get about this club.
If you mean football fans in general, yes they provide large sums of fees to Brighton and all other PL clubs. If you mean football fans to go to games, they provide the coffee RDZ drinks while contemplating how he's going to make Van Hecke put his foot on the ball rather than next to it. That is the Premier League reality.

The "lifeblood" thing is the social contract: they owe to perform for you and you owe them your support (and no, I'm not talking about your money).
You think they were equally eager when Leeds beat them 3-0 or that this is some kind of hindsight shit. They, just like a lot of Brighton fans including you, have forgot everything that happened before Tommy the German left and are now rewriting history in a way that fits a narrative.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Harsh but not necessarily unfair. I sense quite a bit of entitlement from our fanbase compared to 20 years ago. Inevitable really. I think it comes with success.
Agreed, although I think our entitlement has changed from “surviving in the lower leagues” to “being an EPL club”.

A good number of our fans weren’t born/supporters in those struggling times so only know the club on an upward trajectory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here