Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Has Graham Bitten Off More Than He Can Chew?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
EC7FFCB4-A011-48EB-AE6C-2B479F56A287.png

“What’s the name of your aftershave Pep. No, that’s not my right hand”.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Pep Guardiola last year said that it would be nice if their fans would actually come to their football games.

Few if any were annoyed. Imagine if GP had said the same in a post-game interview.

Graham Potter asked the fans of Brighton to support their team rather than boo it.

Tony Bloom had to urge the fans to support the team. Embarrassing.

Paul Barber had to write in his match programme.

There were boos after RDZs first home game according to people here.

Lewis Dunk after RDZs first or second home game had to speak out in radio and beg people to avoid yelling shit when they tried to play it out from the back.

Maybe gratefulness is a mutual thing. Maybe you have to support the team if you want the manager & players to support you. :shrug:
Swanny…..just a few things I’ll take issue with ..that uve used to try and back up a point.

Potter and boos at Leeds game ..it was quite frankly a f*** all ..Graham imho completely over reacted

Dunk “begging”….cobblers ….hardly begging

De Z first home game…guessing you are referring to Forest…well u may have read it here ..but again a non event…as was the game in all fairness

Happy New Year…oh and I’m not having a go at GP

Edit …first home game was a loss to Tottenham…..nah don’t recall much dissent…peeps still getting over GP leaving and remembering a 5/2 win over Leicester in glorious sunshine, against a stumbling performance in defeat

Edit again….interesting fact is that we’ve only won once at home with RDZ ….drawn once and lost three….seem to do better away…hmm..reminds me of periods under another manager 😉

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
30,000 people in perfect harmony, all on message, loud and proud.

But enough about North Korea's most recent military parade, the only time I've seen a football crowd of that size do that is Brighton v Chelsea this season.
Yeah was very impressive. Imagine if you could love Brighton with the same passion you hate others, could be a top club for real then.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Massive game Thursday now for our Gra-ham at Fulham. Never easy going to the best club in West London.
Hopefully GPott can arrest the slide with a draw.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Its what Manchester United is doing, what Arsenal did and what Chelsea will need to be doing in order to be successful. Or they'll just have another players-vs-manager situation any time someone tell them to do something else than walk around believing they are Gods gift to mankind.
They are, however, if they keep losing he’ll be gone. Arteta won the FA Cup, performances under TH improved pretty quickly. GP seems to be going downhill fast. FWIW I think if they stick with him and back him Chelsea will thrive, might take a season or two though. Or…. He loses his mojo and it all goes tits up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They are, however, if they keep losing he’ll be gone. Arteta won the FA Cup, performances under TH improved pretty quickly. GP seems to be going downhill fast. FWIW I think if they stick with him and back him Chelsea will thrive, might take a season or two though. Or…. He loses his mojo and it all goes tits up.
Genuinely, I wonder if buy-success Boehly will try to buy both Caicedo and Mac Allister in the summer. Plus others from across the globe.

Get the impression, like Abramovich, acquisitions is his one route to success.

Then the coach, whether it be Potter or successor, will be labelled “doing a good job”. The media airbrushing out the outspending everyone else bit.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Genuinely, I wonder if buy-success Boehly will try to buy both Caicedo and Mac Allister in the summer. Plus others from across the globe.

Then the coach, whether it be Potter or successor, will be labelled “doing a good job”. The media airbrushing out the outspending everyone else bit.
FFP may be the enemy there.

£300 million (each) should do it.

:moo:

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Too impatient a fan base
His bed he made it 🤔

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Pep Guardiola last year said that it would be nice if their fans would actually come to their football games.

Few if any were annoyed. Imagine if GP had said the same in a post-game interview.

Graham Potter asked the fans of Brighton to support their team rather than boo it.

Tony Bloom had to urge the fans to support the team. Embarrassing.

Paul Barber had to write in his match programme.

There were boos after RDZs first home game according to people here.

Lewis Dunk after RDZs first or second home game had to speak out in radio and beg people to avoid yelling shit when they tried to play it out from the back.

Maybe gratefulness is a mutual thing. Maybe you have to support the team if you want the manager & players to support you. :shrug:

What a load of nonsense.

The players/managers are paid large sums of money to play, the fans really owe them nothing.

The fans on the other hand have to pay a lot of money to go watch a team play.

They sell the sport as entertainment and if it's not entertaining then the fans aren't getting their monies worth are they?

If you went to any other kind of entertainment and the performance was terrible or boring and you booed it would be perfectly acceptable.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Although I think Bloom would always sell a player who wants to leave to a 'bigger club' at the right price, I don't think he'd let our best players go to Chelsea for a very long time. Could you imagine the fall out if we lot Mac and Moises to those clowns after what's happened this year?

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
What a load of nonsense.

The players/managers are paid large sums of money to play, the fans really owe them nothing.

They sell the sport as entertainment and if it's not entertaining then the fans aren't getting their monies worth are they?

If you went to any other kind of entertainment and the performance was terrible or boring and you booed it would be perfectly acceptable.
Well, yeah, exactly.

Possibly your best NSC post.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
What a load of nonsense.

In financial terms, the players owe you nothing and you owe them nothing.

The whole "supporters support their team and the team does their best to win and play well" is a social contract.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Even if he does get the elbow, he's reputedly on £12m a year so I'm sure his contract will give him at least one years pay off and, if his agent checked the small print carefully he might get all 5 years. He'll be disappointed about being out of work but a least he won't have to sign on!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think the Chelsea job was always going to be difficult for someone like Graham, and not through much fault of his own has a big chance of failure. Firstly you have a squad thats been assembled by the big spending of different past managers, so its feel disjointed, and some of these over paid big names who are past their prime are probably struggling for motivation when Graham is directing them. Chelsea are also a team that have a high percentage of entitled fans, who probably never go to games, but are very loud in voicing their opinion which is largely 'who the f*** is graham potter, he's never won anything, i dont want him at my club'. There's Chelsea fans who couldnt wait for him to fail. Because of that it was always going to be an uphill battle. Secondly, when they appointed him Chelsea made all the right noise about this being a long term plan, and even if there was going to be some bumps in the road they were going for a change of direction which meant investment in youth (which could take a while to develop) and getting a manager with a clear philosophy of tactics. Right now because its not entirely a squad of Graham's choosing, he's not long been in the job, he currently has players who may not be quick in taking on his theories, and there's a lot of injuries for them they are experiencing one of those bumps in the road. Give him more time (which they initially promised), ignore the negative voices, wait for the young players to get upto speed, and things will no doubt improve, but Chelsea being Chelsea im pretty sure Todd Boehly will give in to those negative voices and sack Graham before the original plan has been given time to bear fruit. & they'll be appointing another Mourinho type in no time.
Plus it’s all relative to competitors, due to UEFA’s limit of 4 CL places, each season is cruelly binary.

If Chelsea are potless, whilst Citeh, Arse, Saudis or Spurs and Manure grab the CL money, the pressure from the media, Chelsea fans and ultimately Boehly will be far greater.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
In financial terms, the players owe you nothing and you owe them nothing.

The whole "supporters support their team and the team does their best to win and play well" is a social contract.
It's a social contract that Chelsea's players aren't fulfilling at the moment, probably because they can't stand their coach.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Although I think Bloom would always sell a player who wants to leave to a 'bigger club' at the right price, I don't think he'd let our best players go to Chelsea for a very long time. Could you imagine the fall out of we lot Mac and Moises to those clowns after what's happened this year?
Praying you’re right.

I can just see Potter/Winstanley saying to the over-sized strategic panel they’ve assembled, “Just go and get us Caicedo and Mac Allister”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here