Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

has davies a future with us

Teddy Maybank

Feb 23, 2009
My gut feeling is that he will come good next season, but it will be from coming off the bench.
Interesting to see if Forster will start that many games next season. Can't see Murray working well with owusu?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can't wait for next season, with a fresh, clean Pre-Season Davies will come good!

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
People forget that Davies was banging in the goals for Stockport at the beginning of the season. He got 6 from 6

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Ofcourse he has a future and its a big future in my view. His record at Stockport early this season shows that he can score goals, bit of confidence and he will show that down here.

rothergull

Worthing ex pat
Jan 25, 2008
rotherham
I think if Slade gets us playing passing football instead of "hoofing",with his pace,energy and his confidence back Craig will be a star! :ascarf:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I agree, way, way too early to write him off.

Scores early on for us, then struggles to hit the net in a team that's playing badly and lacking confidence. Hardly a shock that he doesn't get a bucketload of goals.

If he were slow, had little apparent ability to control and distribute a ball, and was manifestly lazy, I'd say dump him right now.

However, he's quick, obviously keen, gets in the right positions, and only an idiot would say based on what we've seen that he's got no football ability, therefore he deserves as much of a chance as anybody else does.

Hell, how many goals did Gary Hart score this season before his return to the side? All strikers go through phases where they're lacking in confidence and missing chances they'd have scored previously. He deserves our support, and I'm quietly confident that next season we'll see the player we paid the money for.

It's only my opinion, and football is all about opinion, that his first touch and overall control isn't all that and so by extension his distribution isn't great either. He seems more intent on shielding the ball and trying to win a free kick than actually getting the ball under control and laying it off or turning his defender. I keep talking about shielding the ball as that's the enduring image I have of him - all arms and legs, backing into defenders and forgetting where the ball is. The one thing I will say about that though is that he does often win us free kicks in dangerous areas as a lot of clumsy defenders end up clattering him ( Mind you, the Peterborough defenders clattered him all night and rarely did the ref give a free kick or get out the yellow card :nono: ).

He clearly has issues with confidence with regards to his finishing at the mo, and that's understandable. When you compare him to Murray & Forster and even Owusu I just don't get the impression he's ever going to be a prolific goal scorer at this level. Fair play that someone has mentioned he scored 6 in 6 at Stockport, so I could be totally wrong on this. As I said earlier, goalscoring is so much about a natural ability and I'm afraid from what I've seen so far I just don't see that in Craig Davies.

I think his greatest asset is his work rate. I wouldn't for a minute question his effort. So if defending from the front is the best attribute you want from a striker, then he's the ideal man. It's an admirable quality, but he'll have to do a lot more than that to sell himself to me though I'm afraid.

Some people on here were judging him after just 2 games and his first missed sitter. I did at least give it a few games more than that. Yet again I say I would love to be proved wrong here. If we keep Craig Davies and he comes good I will gladly come back on here and eat large slabs of humble pie. If he's playing for us then of course I want him to succeed, and the fact that he's obviously a trier means I'd especially like him to come good because he deserves to, but I'm not going to get sentimental over players just because we pulled off the great escape, and nor will Russell Slade.

andywhing4england

Jan 19, 2009
way too early to be thinking of letting him go..he does run with the ball at defences and cause problems while i no a few matches he couldnt shoot to save his life and was generally shit. i hope a confident davies will return next season and we will see the talent he supposedly is

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I agree, he should stop being called Barndoor on here, it doesn't help anything. ???

He will have settled down and there will be less pressure on him next season. He looks to be a good player to me, but it was difficult for him here this season. Next season we can judge him, I think he'll turn out to be a big player for us up front, but he needs a run of games, which I don't think he'll get because Murray and Forster are both better than him and Owusu wouldn't be signed to sit on the bench...

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
eeyore, eeyore, his name is Craig Davies and he's never gonna score....

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
barndoor, barndoor, his name is Craig Davies and he couldn't hit a barndoor...

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With him signing a 3 year contract Davies has to prove himself in pre season and the beginning of the new season or else I can see him being sent out on loan with a view to him being put on the transfer market in January rather than let him sit out the remainder of his contract in the stiffs.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
He will come good. Don't worry. We will avoid relegation next season. Anyone who thinks different should go support MK Dons. Wan****

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
He will come good if given a chance, then the idiots above with have to admit they were wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here