Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

has davies a future with us

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I've seen lots in him that I think will come together to make a very good player next season. The key for him next season is to get a few goals early so that his confidence returns, and then I think we'll see a striker who is capable of 15 goals a season and a big impact.

We already have two of those, and possibly three if we get Owusu, so where does Davies fit in?

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
He's had more of a chance than a lot of players would get already. I wasn't ideal circumstances coming in to such a poor team but for someone who's played so poorly he's had plenty of starts.

Think its a confidence thing. May be a short term loan to a conference club. Where he could bang in a few goals might help to build it

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've seen lots in him that I think will come together to make a very good player next season. The key for him next season is to get a few goals early so that his confidence returns, and then I think we'll see a striker who is capable of 15 goals a season and a big impact.

I would be shocked, surprised and truly astounded to see him get 15 goals a season.

If he's still with us, and as others have said, it looks likely as he's got a three year deal, then I'd absolutely love to be proved wrong about Craig Davies.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Does anyone think a good pre-season with us would help him?

McLeod had a good pre-season. I would therfore suggest that a good pre-season means the sum total of crap all.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What's all this talk about nurturing and good pre-season?

Are they the emperor's new clothes or something ?

How do you nurture the ability to know where the old onion bag is. You've either got it or you haven't. More than any other skill in football, I believe an ability to score goals is something that just comes naturally. I'm confused as to how pre-season is going to change a player so drastically too ?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
He scored on his debut but then got injured

He was rushed back far too early (due to our other strikers picking up injuries) and wasn't fully fit, so when he missed a couple, and the crowd turning on him unfairly imo, (It was more frustration at the season as a whole rather than at him) but that destroyed his confidence. It meant that before he wouldn't think about a chance but just stick it way he suddenly started to take an extra touch or dither too long.

When he gets his confidence back and is fully fit he will be banging in goals for fun, I just hope that the way some sections of the crowd have treated him this season with unjustified abuse means that he hasn't lost any desire to perform well and to play for this club and he will stay and fight with us rather than feel that there is too much pressure for those supporters for him to score every chance and feel he has to move on

seagullsdaz

May 3, 2009
Brighton
Davies is obviously lacking confidence at the minute but he generally looks a good player, he has pace and can take players on, he gets himself in the right positions to score so i rekon 1 goal from him and he wont stop!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I really rate Davies, I'm sure he'll do alright next season....alas I can also see him become the next target for the boo boys if he doesn't start well.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
What's all this talk about nurturing and good pre-season?

Are they the emperor's new clothes or something ?

How do you nurture the ability to know where the old onion bag is. You've either got it or you haven't. More than any other skill in football, I believe an ability to score goals is something that just comes naturally. I'm confused as to how pre-season is going to change a player so drastically too ?

I am basing my opinion of him from what I saw when he played for Oxford. He has been a bit part player for much of his career, but when he had a decent run at Oldham and Oxford, he chipped in with some goals. Just under 1 in 5 in league appearances through out his short career.

Every striker has a lean spell and that starts from his last goal. I concede that it is well documented that he has missed some easy chances, but would we really pay money for a player that can't shoot? Would he have got this far if he could not shoot? Far too early to be writing him off, in my opinion, but then that is without having seen him play for Brighton (in the flesh).

Nov 25, 2008
Block (H)ated

He was rushed back far too early (due to our other strikers picking up injuries) and wasn't fully fit, so when he missed a couple, and the crowd turning on him unfairly imo, (It was more frustration at the season as a whole rather than at him) but that destroyed his confidence. It meant that before he wouldn't think about a chance but just stick it way he suddenly started to take an extra touch or dither too long.

When he gets his confidence back and is fully fit he will be banging in goals for fun, I just hope that the way some sections of the crowd have treated him this season with unjustified abuse means that he hasn't lost any desire to perform well and to play for this club and he will stay and fight with us rather than feel that there is too much pressure for those supporters for him to score every chance and feel he has to move on
:thumbsup: someone knows what there saying :clap2:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I agree, way, way too early to write him off.

Scores early on for us, then struggles to hit the net in a team that's playing badly and lacking confidence. Hardly a shock that he doesn't get a bucketload of goals.

If he were slow, had little apparent ability to control and distribute a ball, and was manifestly lazy, I'd say dump him right now.

However, he's quick, obviously keen, gets in the right positions, and only an idiot would say based on what we've seen that he's got no football ability, therefore he deserves as much of a chance as anybody else does.

Hell, how many goals did Gary Hart score this season before his return to the side? All strikers go through phases where they're lacking in confidence and missing chances they'd have scored previously. He deserves our support, and I'm quietly confident that next season we'll see the player we paid the money for.

Ronnie

Jan 6, 2009
The Herb Garden
Can't fault his effort.
However, speaking to Oldham fans when they played at Withdean and they said his nickname there was "JIGSAW - because he falls apart in the box".

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Can't fault his effort.
However, speaking to Oldham fans when they played at Withdean and they said his nickname there was "JIGSAW - because he falls apart in the box".

well lets just hope that he finds the missing piece(s) of his game in time for next season then

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

As you say, it's a naturall instinct knowing where the goal is and getting in scoring positions, it can't be taught. Confidence and pressure does play a big part in it though and with the pressure off against some shit teams in pre season, it might just give him that kick start and make him remember how to stick it away again.

Having seen him a few times I like him as a player, he's strong on the ball and very quick, he needs to learn to get into better positions but that will come with experience.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Davies needs time. His arrival coincided with several factors that did him no favours hence he should not be written off just yet.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

He was rushed back far too early

Are you talking about Davies or McLeod?!! Same could be said for both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here