Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has anyone given up smoking this year?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I stopped 13 months and 30 days ago.
No better way of giving up than having the addiction rubbed clean from your brain, along with all over passions and tendencies and tastebuds and right legs.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Barrel of Fun said:
:clap2: :bowdown: :clap2:

Grit and determination will hopefully get me through, with the help of some chewing gum. Trying to avoid patches etc.

Seems like I picked a bad football season to try and give up!
Is there ever a good season to quit? Probably find your best bet would be to quit in the closed-season.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I have given up wanking between the hours of midnight and 8am.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Ccider said:
Then you will never give up.

:nono: :smokin: :nono:

CHUCK THEM IN THE BIN NOW - you know it makes sense!

:cool:

I decided to pack em in after this pack of Duty Frees, so I'll stick with it. Thanks for your encouragment though.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Quit 8 weeks ago. Pure will power. No patches or gum or anything. If you want it bad enough you'll do it.

PS I've even stopped dreaming about them now!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have been slowly cutting down to the point of 01.01.07 going 2 to 3 days at a time without one.

I decided in the end 01.01.07 was not good for me as on the lash in Bournemouth therefore from yesterday.

So far so good although I am worried about weight gain and also keep having a splitting headache.

I am not using patches but have the odd chewing gum and have made a policy decision to have no alcohol this Saturday during the day.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
gave up on 26th Dcember.

Hypnotherapy CD (give up in 1 hour CD from Amazon) and 3 low strength gums a day (in halves).

feel good, pub not a problem, no real cravings. Bit irritable and a few headaches.

Just lots of insomnia - fall asleep fine but keep waking up 2 till 5 every night - wierd.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Now a non smoker, however, I've tried and failed so many times.

Gave up in May last year and have stuck to it. I didnt use patches - these have never worked for me.

I gave up whilst on holiday, where there was no stress and no excuses to cave in and have a ciggie.

Alcohol and eating out got me over the initial cravings and then I got into fitness and that has kept me off wanting to go back on to the stinky filthy fags.

The Alan Carr book worked for me years ago when I gave up for 5 1/2 years. My failing was starting again when my other half started smoking again. I'm not doing that again.

Good Luck to everyone who is giving up. If you falter, just try again when the time is right. My life (and my breath) is so much better now that I dont smoke

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
smoking can do nothing more than temporarily remove the symptoms caused by smoking itself.

smoking will never totally satisfy your hunger for nicotine and smoking does not actually deliver what you think it does.

my hypnotherapy CD reckons smoking is only relaxing as you take deep breaths when dragging. The deep breaths are what you crave.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
brunswick said:
.....my hypnotherapy CD reckons smoking is only relaxing as you take deep breaths when dragging. The deep breaths are what you crave.

Interesting concept....I will try that.

My mother works at the Martlets and has told me a few stories about some young and old who visit the day centre, struggling to breath, kicking themselves daily for smoking in the first place.

We only get one crack at life.....

Last edited:

If I could take you smokers back to the past in a time machine 5 mins before you smoked your first ciggie would you smoke it knowing what you know now.

Someone famous said that but I cannot remember who.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
cannedheat said:
If I could take you smokers back to the past in a time machine 5 mins before you smoked your first ciggie would you smoke it knowing what you know now.

Someone famous said that but I cannot remember who.

Doctor Who. He was touting for rides in the tardis

Nearly 6 years FIRST HAND SMOKE free...can't wait for July 1st when 99.9% of second hand smoke gets eliminated from my lungs.

Best way is to quit in whichever way helps, patches, CDs, "Look into my eyes", gum. Just make sure you announce to all of your family and friends that "as of [insert date] I will become a non-smoker. You'll be amazed at how that helps.

Good luck to all in the process...it's worth it!

Also-for the first couple of months (I did the first 12 months) spend whatever you'd have spent on tobacco on a treat for yourself and remind yourself what the reward is for. My CD collection grew as did the number of "toys" I wanted but couldn't justify spending lots on while shelling out for 2 packs of Marlboro a day:eek:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Beach Hut said:
I have been slowly cutting down to the point of 01.01.07 going 2 to 3 days at a time without one.

I decided in the end 01.01.07 was not good for me as on the lash in Bournemouth therefore from yesterday.

So far so good although I am worried about weight gain and also keep having a splitting headache.

I am not using patches but have the odd chewing gum and have made a policy decision to have no alcohol this Saturday during the day.

Roughly how I did it, first knock out the ones you smoke as a habit - first thing in the morning, breaks at work and so on - until you're left with two or three in the evening, before getting rid of those.

To avoid weight gain try snacking on fruit when craving for one.

I gave up in 1988 after 9 years of smoking and haven't touched one since. Even after being attacked with a knife and having my front teeth kicked out someone gave a ciggie took one puff and put it out.

As someone above said people were giving up before patches were invented and personally don't see the point of them other than a moneymaking scam from the companies that produce them. If you put your mind to it then you will succeed.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
My housemate has given it up, along with smoking weed, and he now smells a lot better and is far more chirpy (although that's probably cos he's not on the weed)

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset
I was properly hooked on smoking at the age of 12. I hadn't gone a single day without a cigarette until I was 29.

Nicotene gum got me through the first couple of weeks, then I switched to regular Orbit chewing gum. I even got used to the taste of minty beer!!!

Within days of giving up you realise just how much smokers stink. I even had to replace my car as the stench just wouldn't go away!

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
September 7th 2005 was when i gave up, no patches or gum, just willpower and the fact that i wanted to do most of the away games which my smoking money helped pay for.I don't like the smell of fags now except when i'm pissed when i occasionally get the urge to have one, but luckily my friends don't give in to my persuasion when i ask for a smoke.Good luck everyone thats giving up......it gets easier by the day and after 2 weeks is really quite easy.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Bakesy said:
I don't like the smell of fags now except when i'm pissed when i occasionally get the urge to have one, but luckily my friends don't give in to my persuasion when i ask for a smoke.

You BEG me for a smoke :p

I'm glad I've got the willpower to say NO to you :smokin:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
March 91 I stopped after 26 years of smoking.
I don't even think about it now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here