Votes: 15 12.4%
  • Diddle-mumf szrebby-obbobb *buuurrrpp* 'Excuse me' - fences

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
BensGrandad said:
So Brighton is the yardstick to measure the rest of the country by is it.

Nationally it is by far the largest selling bitter. FACT.

So what. That's just a measure of how good the marketing is as essentially it's a brand driven by heavy promotion and control of outlets.
It's flavourless tat for the masses. UBER FACT

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Harveys is good.

But London Pride at its best followed by HSB in my opinion.

I dont see Pompey Royal around now........... does it still exist.

I got through 20 bitters at The Henty`s beer fest in Ferring last July and did not have a single bad one. He had 30 or so on and they were well looked after.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
always the first i look for. sadly up here in soton we are too studenty to have ales etc. though when i find a ringwood im chuffed

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
never tried bitter to be honest- but i really don't think i'll like it

however since you lot have impeccable taste it must be alright by bitter standards :drink:

Questions said:
Harveys is good.

But London Pride at its best followed by HSB in my opinion.

I dont see Pompey Royal around now........... does it still exist.

I got through 20 bitters at The Henty`s beer fest in Ferring last July and did not have a single bad one. He had 30 or so on and they were well looked after.

Fullers took over Gales Brewery (which brewed HSB) a year or so back and closed it. So any HSB you see is now brewed at the same brewery as London Pride.

Used to serve a fine drop of Gales in the "Basketmakers" in the North Laines - believe there are some other Gales pubs in the City as well.

Pompey Royal is a name from the past! - believe it was a Whitbread Brew and probably hasn't been around for 20+ years unless of course any beer anoraks (like me) know differently!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Cheeky Monkey said:
Sure does, when you've tasted Amstel why would you drink Harveys? :nono:

King of the beasts is Theakston's Old Peculiar though.

:bowdown:
Amstel is just about the only half-passable, if-the-wind-is-in-the-right-direction, oh-if-I-aboslutely-must Dutch lager I can think of. I am sure someone can remind me of one, but I'm struggling.

It's quite ironic considering their neighbours in Belgium produce a vast range of quality beers.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
TrevorT said:
Fullers took over Gales Brewery (which brewed HSB) a year or so back and closed it. So any HSB you see is now brewed at the same brewery as London Pride.

Used to serve a fine drop of Gales in the "Basketmakers" in the North Laines - believe there are some other Gales pubs in the City as well.

Pompey Royal is a name from the past! - believe it was a Whitbread Brew and probably hasn't been around for 20+ years unless of course any beer anoraks (like me) know differently!

I thought I had had it since then.

The Black Horse at Binstead many years ago served HSB at its very best.

Had some nice HSB in the Murrell Arms in Barnham on the way to Saints last year. Was the takeover after that Trev ?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
To be fair I was in a Redhill Wetherspoons on Friday nite and they had Waggledance and a couple of other ales at £1.60 a pint.

I was slaughtered. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Its become so fashionable in Brighton that I am surprised that the Latte outlets havent started stocking it so that Miranda and James can sup it whilst the discuss their latest buy to let, or if Chelsea's next home game is on Prem Plus.

I honestly think it tastes like piss.

Oct 25, 2003
TrevorT said:

north laine.

None of the above although more often than not I do prefer a pint of Harveys over most other bitters.

Would recommend a nice pint of Bolney which I have discovered in its' namesake village but I DO miss the King & Barnes brewery in Horsham and all those wonderful beers it produced.

Here's to a summer of :drink: and more :drink: and more :drink:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I must admit that there is nothing better than being outside a country pub with a couple of Bishops Fingers inside of you.

Last edited:

TrevorT said:
As far as Brighton is concerned, Pompey Royal was what appeared as the replacement for the headache-inducing Brickwoods Best Bitter. Whether it had an earlier, Portsmouth-based existence is another question altogether.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here