Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harveys back at the Lewes Arms!

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Congrats to all involved with getting Harvey's returned to the arms.

Now does anyone want to start a campaign to get Harvery's returned to the Tally Ho :lolol:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'll have to nip in for a swift half next time I'm in town. :drink:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I never understood the UK pub system and stuff like this makes it even more bloody complex ???

Can you not, like, have a pub thats not owned by a brewery or a massive chain and actually sells a range of, well, everyones stuff?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Grendel said:
Yes. They're called free houses.

OK, are they actually common though? The largest 'pub chain' in Ireland that I can think of actually owns my local - and a massive 8 other premises.

Every other pub in my suburb is independent - as the setup appears to have been in every other country I've been to except Britain - Northern Ireland is identical to down here.

From searching the net a bit, it seems the majority of "free houses" are Wetherspoons, Yates, etc.... which are still puib chains.

I did say the British system confused me, and at 3am it makes even less f***ing sense. The idea of any pub in an area where theres a strong local brewer not serving it just seems insane to me - a pub in Cork with no Murphys is unlikely to stay in business long here, for example

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Carrot Cruncher said:
Great news and all, but is it coming back as a guest ale or as a perminant fixture???

Me, I'll still be going to the Lansdown.

A fine establishment that serves a fine pint of Harveys. :drink:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lord Bracknell said:

He said that the history of the pub, including its role as former brewery tap, combined with activities ranging from dwyle flunking to pea throwing made this hostelry very special.

Can anyone explain what dwyle flunking is?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Cheers.

Looks like Nsc members would love it there.
Spaniel-Racing-2005-003.jpg

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Nice picture of the locals celebrating on the front of the Argus. No Lord B though.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
MYOB said:
OK, are they actually common though? The largest 'pub chain' in Ireland that I can think of actually owns my local - and a massive 8 other premises.

Every other pub in my suburb is independent - as the setup appears to have been in every other country I've been to except Britain - Northern Ireland is identical to down here.

From searching the net a bit, it seems the majority of "free houses" are Wetherspoons, Yates, etc.... which are still puib chains.

Genuine free houses aren't that common. For example, in the town where I live there is a grand total of none whatsoever and the one pub that claims to be is actually owned by Enterprise Inns. There are handful of them in the area, but they're far outweighed by chain pubs or pubs tied to breweries.

The Gardeners Arms in Lewes - http://www.gardenersarmslewes.com/ - is a true freehouse and the finest boozer in Lewes.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Great news, but a note of caution.

Could Greene King instruct the landlord not to look after the Harveys as well as his other cask ales so that it's always crap and makes their beers look better?

That way they can say it's not selling and justify taking it away again.......

Just a thought.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
dougdeep said:
Nice picture of the locals celebrating on the front of the Argus. No Lord B though.

He was doing Election Business! Although I was in the Arms yesterday afternooon wishing the Landlord well and demanding non-intoxicating liquor. Fortunately I avoided photoshoots.
:D

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What I like about Lewes people is they don't put up with any shit. Whether it's bonfire, parking meters or beer, they stand up for what they believe to be right. Perhaps Tom Payne had something to do with it. :drink:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Lankyseagull said:

Could Greene King instruct the landlord not to look after the Harveys as well as his other cask ales so that it's always crap and makes their beers look better?

I doubt it very much. And certainly it is not an instruction that would be followed.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Lankyseagull said:

That way they can say it's not selling and justify taking it away again.......

Just a thought.

Back in the days when I worked in the L.A. my experience was that the regulars would drink Harveys even if it looked and tasted like a rancid pint of bog water. The majority of people in there drink it because of the name and because it's the local beer - we sold Greene King IPA as Harveys after getting the lines mixed up after cleaning once and only one person complained about the beer.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Richie Morris said:
Are you suggesting a Harveys PUB CRAWL Lord B?

Sounds SMART to me...

Involving 3 pubs. Wow, that does sound SMART :lolol:. You'll be LEGLESS after a pint of Harveys in each of those.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
So are all the regulars going to start going back to the Lewes Arms? I know I wouldn't. I'd rather keep the boycott up until Greene King decided to sell it on to someone else.
My thoughts exactly. I haven't checked whether it is on the Brighton & South Downs Ale Trail, this year. I sincerely hope not.

At least all three Dark Star pubs are & for me personally this is far superior than Harveys (awaits flaming).

I will only go in a GK pub now under duress

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here