Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harveys back at the Lewes Arms!

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Kylies Stunt Arse said:
So are all the regulars going to start going back to the Lewes Arms? I know I wouldn't. I'd rather keep the boycott up until Greene King decided to sell it on to someone else.

My thoughts exactly. I haven't checked whether the LA is on the Brighton & South Downs Ale Trail, this year. I sincerely hope not.

At least all three Dark Star pubs are. For me personally this is far superior pint than Harveys Sussex (awaits flaming) which I grew up on.

I will now only go in a GK pub now under duress.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
33057 Seagull said:

At least all three Dark Star pubs are. For me personally this is far superior pint than Harveys Sussex (awaits flaming) which I grew up on.

Stand Up:bowdown: :bowdown:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
33057 Seagull said:

Strange it never won the best bitter in England title. :lolol:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Congrats to the their successful boycott and the achieved result.

Now, do they sell trraditional cider at the Lewes Arms. Last I heard, they didn't!

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
They are currently selling Black Rat. Whether that's traditional or not I don't know. But then most cider tastes like it was fermented with black rats in the barrel to me so I'm no expert.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
1090139%60%6010.jpg

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
roz said:
They are currently selling Black Rat. Whether that's traditional or not I don't know. But then most cider tastes like it was fermented with black rats in the barrel to me so I'm no expert.

Black Rat is the business. Got to be worth a trip.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
33057 Seagull said:
My thoughts exactly. I haven't checked whether it is on the Brighton & South Downs Ale Trail, this year. I sincerely hope not.

I was in the L.A. tonight and going purely on ale quality, I could find no reason for the establishment to be excluded from the Ale Trail.

I was under the impression that the Ale Trail existed to help promote pubs that could keep a decent pint of ale, rather than pubs that sell what the locals deem to be an acceptable beverage regardless of the quality of said pint.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Does the Lewes Arms sell lager? I don't like Harveys.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Some say it is an acquired taste. But my first sip of trad cider and I became an addict.

"They say it kills yer, but they don't say when"

Harveys well kept is the best pint of beer I have drunk. Eyes closed, I could not taste the difference between the different brew in the Mitre, Brighton.

Most Harveys is a bit bland, so just drink what yer like. Fizzzy keg beer and bottled carbonated cider gives me the burbs.

:drink:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I love the smell of Lewes in the morning. :love:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Screaming J said:
Um, there seems to be a logical inconsistency there......

Not if you are cider drinker , there isn't!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
dougdeep said:
I love the smell of Lewes in the morning. :love:

Mmmm I know. The smell from the brewery wafting over the playing fields at Priory School will stay with me until the day I die. First pub I ever skived off school to go to was the Arms. Bar Billiards was much preferable to double maths! :drink:

(Incidentally, can't we make the drink in that smiley brown?)

Screaming J said:
(Incidentally, can't we make the drink in that smiley brown?)
No. You'll drink Guinness. They've spent a fortune on promoting their product and have even got the market for smileys under their complete control.

My "incidentally" contribution to this discussion is ...

How the hell did the concept of "Irish cider" gain a foothold in England, the country that invented the product and refined its production to the point that EVERYONE knows that real cider is neither clear, nor full of bubbles, nor served with ice?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
MYOB said:
:lolol:

Bulmers (Magners in Ireland is sold as Bulmers due to a licencing deal) is rarely sold over ice here. Traditionally sold in pints, draught, no ice...

Since Magners came along, Bulmers has (re-)appeared here too. Sold in bottles that kinda look the same as Magners.

It's all a crock of shit.

My current favourite is Aspell Premier Cru

178765BL.jpg

A nice dry cider (or cyder as they say) it comes from Suffolk which makes me feel as though I'm betraying by West Country home. Oh well.

Cider fans who get close to this part of the world really owe it to themselves to check out The Apple (http://www.applecider.co.uk/ )- a barge moored in the middle of Bristol that has a long, long menu of ciders and perries of all colours and strengths etc. Strangely no Aspall though.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Bozza said:
Since Magners came along, Bulmers has (re-)appeared here too. Sold in bottles that kinda look the same as Magners.

It's all a crock of shit.

Wouldn't drink it if I was paid to.

Bulmers (UK) are appearently intending to enter the Irish market but it leaves them with a slight problem - they sold their name here to Bulmers Ltd (which is Magners), so they can't call their own stuff their own name here :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
MYOB said:
Wouldn't drink it if I was paid to.

Bulmers (UK) are appearently intending to enter the Irish market but it leaves them with a slight problem - they sold their name here to Bulmers Ltd (which is Magners), so they can't call their own stuff their own name here :lolol:

Why not call themselves Magners then if no-one else is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here